Putting my P228 through the ringer

This is a discussion on Putting my P228 through the ringer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been around much lately - this is because I have been going through a 7 week ...

Thread: Putting my P228 through the ringer

VIP Member

Putting my P228 through the ringer

As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been around much lately - this is because I have been going through a 7 week "tactical" training program with my agency that involves long, tiring days and not a lot of free time... It has, however, given me an opportunity to test some of my gear.

During the program, I will be firing a fair number of rounds through a wide array of weapons, including my issue Sig P228. So far, the pistol has seen about 200 rounds, and there are many more to follow. We are also rolling around in the dirt, sand and mud, and generally abusing our bodies and equipment.

So what does all this mean? I have decided that I will not clean, lube, or otherwise care for or maintain my Sig in any way during the entire course... It sits in a drop-leg holster, exposed to the elements, getting banged around, dirty, wet, and generally abused. It has had absolutely no problems so far, even though it has seen some harsh days...

In any case, I'll try to keep you guys updated on round counts, conditions, and if there are ever any malfunctions.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds good. I look forward to the results!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Opfor - Let us know how you make out with your P228. It should handle the abuse with ease. I have a P226 and it's awesome in all conditions.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Administrator
    I've been wondering where you've been. Your 228 will do just fine, but I'm sure this will make for an interesting read.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Your SIG should do just fine. Report back to us.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Taking it out on a Quantico land navigation course tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain... Ought to induce some rust on it, considering how dry and dirty it is.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well, I haven't been around either, but M-16A4's will work in a desert as long as you don't use too much CLP. How does the agency that gave you the weapon feel about this experiment?

228 Ought to work fine for ya, make sure you watch out for lost TBS students on your hike.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been around much lately - this is because I have been going through a 7 week "tactical" training program with my agency that involves long, tiring days and not a lot of free time... It has, however, given me an opportunity to test some of my gear.

During the program, I will be firing a fair number of rounds through a wide array of weapons, including my issue Sig P228. So far, the pistol has seen about 200 rounds, and there are many more to follow. We are also rolling around in the dirt, sand and mud, and generally abusing our bodies and equipment.

So what does all this mean? I have decided that I will not clean, lube, or otherwise care for or maintain my Sig in any way during the entire course... It sits in a drop-leg holster, exposed to the elements, getting banged around, dirty, wet, and generally abused. It has had absolutely no problems so far, even though it has seen some harsh days...

In any case, I'll try to keep you guys updated on round counts, conditions, and if there are ever any malfunctions.
    When you drop magazines in the dirt, do you clean them?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    Well, one week left in training, and I didn't really get to test the Sig as much as I wanted to. We've been using "loaner" weapons modified to fire the UTM (Ultimate Training Munitions, similar to Simunitions) for the last few weeks. No more live fires, so no real testing.

Yes, I had been leaving my mags dirty when I dropped them, and yes, I ran into a few TBS students out on the land-nav course (and in Combat Town and in the MOUT Assault Course...) I was cursing their easy lives as they were moving without level 4 body armor, like we were... ;)

OPFOR...what training are you doing??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I thought it had been a while since seeing you. I figured you were hanging out in one of the sandboxes overseas, since you said you were due to do that sometime this year.

Looking forward to your review.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    I was doing my agency's "high threat protective detail operations course;" basically a primer on how to do close protection for dignitaries in non- and semi-permissive environments. I did the course back in '03, but the curriculum has changed a bunch so I had to do it again. It's pretty good stuff, but not much new for guys like me and not nearly enough for guys for who have no experience at all doing infantry-type stuff.

I'll be in the sandbox soon enough....

Links