AK47 or AR15?

AK47 or AR15?

This is a discussion on AK47 or AR15? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i was thinking about these. Which is better in your opinion?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK47 or AR15?

AK47 or AR15?

i was thinking about these. Which is better in your opinion?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

That depends on alot of things. Best thing you can do is get one of each then make your decision at the last minute, then you'll know.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Get both!

Just my personal opinion, I bought a Romanian AK as a truck rifle because it was cheap and I wouldn't be heartbroken if anything happened to it. It shoots great and fits for its purpose, but I would choose an AR first as a general rifle.

For me, it fits better and it's easier to operate. The answer for you might be different so shoot both, and see which one feels better.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Just my own personal opinion but I will not own an AK or SKS. I do own an AR-15 and AR-10 that I just picked up yesterday and love them both. They are great shooters with fine accuracy. I've never seen that with an AK. Plus it's just a personal thing with me. Too many years in the military I guess.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    AK-47. Costs half as much and hits harder.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Why didn't you ask if 9mm or 45 is better while you're at it?

It depends on what you want the rifle for... if I had to choose one, it would be the AR.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I hope you folks don't mind me doing one edit and one delete.

It's too early in a thread for it to be tossed completely off topic.

And yes, (of course) there will be a lot of conjecture, personal opinion and educated guessing in this thread but, go for it.

We have a ton of brand new members here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why didn't you ask if 9mm or 45 is better while you're at it?

It depends on what you want the rifle for... if I had to choose one, it would be the AR.
    45 of course!!!!!

Sponsor
    My experience is a little different than ridurall's. I've seen too many ar's puke too often to trust any of them in a real life or death situation. I've never see that with any of the better AK's.

The ar's puke too often, the ak's puke rarely. If you went with the odds of running when you needed it, there would be NO choice IMO based on experiences with both platforms.

As for accuracy between the two, the ar is going to be the better shooter. I can hold 1.5 inches with the ak's all day at 100 yrds. Thats good enough for reliable body shots out to 300 yds with plenty of margin for error.

As I don't plan on having to need either "carbine" past that distance, the choice is plenty easy to make. Then when you look at ballistics/killing power of the rds used in either of them, the ak will also take preference here.

I own poodle shooters, but I don't ever shoot em. AK ammo is cheaper and more readily available than 223 right nowv as well. It's a no brainer when you take just the reliability between the two into account.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have EBRD so I'm going to vote for the AR. I know it inside and out and that makes it comfortable for me. Both platforms are clearly good choices - they've served military forces very well.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

AR: More expensive than an AK, more accesories, and much, much, MUCH more accurate. Better ammo selection. For civilian use, very reliable. In .223, not as hard of a hitter--using BALL ammo. Switch to a HP or ballistic tip bullet, and VERY capable manstopper.

AK: Cheaper. Not incredibly accurate. Reliable. Not quite as many accesories. 7.62 makes a bigger hole than .223.

I'd recommend an AR.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Both are good defense guns and fun guns. My preference is the AR platform because ammo is plentiful in the US. I'm a purist and don't believe in junking them up with aftermarket garbage so the add-ons isn't a factor. I own both but my go-to is a M4 Stag upper on a Bushmaster lower with 6-pos stock. My preban Sile Import Norinco AKM-47S is a safe queen.

SHTF?
    Lets do away with all the ninja stuff and just talk of the basic, open sights rifles here---no scopes or lasers or anything. And no specialty ammo---just your basic FMJ or surplus ammo everyone has.
    Okay----if I'm at home when this goes down, I'll be taking a defensive stand and engaging threats from a distance. Although both the AR15 and AK47 will be at my disposal, I'll be using the AR15 first in this scenario, and being in my natural habitat, I'll be able to clean the rifle as well all the while my ready to go AK will be at hand while the AR sees downtime.
    Now then---if I'm forced to bug out, or go hunting supplies in the nearby urban jungle, the AK is going to town with me. I may be gone for days in any weather conditions, and I can always use my t-shirt to clean my AK. Carrying twice the weight in ammo as I would for the AR15 (on the move) wouldn't be an issue as I'd likely be engaging targets at closer ranges and that 30 cal will be putting them down like no tomorrow. I'd be taking twice as many shots to be sure they're down with the AR. So like I say---it all depends. Likely I'd be defending my supported position (home) with the AR15 for a while until there's an organized attempt to over run me-then I'd be transitioning to the AK47 and bugging out--and---my former position and remaining supplies will be effectively destroyed so as not to support any zombie hoards that may see an opportunity.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Everyone should have one or the other in their collection.If you don't have the AKget SKS as they are a good shooter for the money.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    It depends on your needs. Comparing the two just by themselves is apples/oranges. If it's a post Katrina, gotta defend yourself in a harsh environment, then I'd have to go with the AK. If carrying lots of ammo long distances is important, then go with the AR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links