Porting Experience?

This is a discussion on Porting Experience? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This question is only directed to those who have actually owned ported handguns: Have you personally had any bad experiences or regrets about having the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porting Experience?

Porting Experience?

This question is only directed to those who have actually owned ported handguns: Have you personally had any bad experiences or regrets about having the porting done? Please no conjecture, first hand experiences only.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, to first hand experience.
    Check out Magnaport.
    That would be the only handgun porting system that I would seriously consider since the ports are EDMed into the barrel in such a way as to direct the expelled gases in the least problematic direction. Plus they have decades long experience porting firearms...handguns as well as long arms.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Yes. I had a S&W .40 ported. The job was beautifully done by Magnaport.
    S&W handled the process for me. No problem at that end or with Magnaport.

I ported the gun because the muzzle tilt was bothering me. Whatever benefit gained, it was minimum, there are other ways to reduce the problem from using different ammo, to working out to build up the arm and wrist strength.

I have no problem with what I did as far as using the gun at the range. I seriously doubt that flash would be a problem in a home defense situation.

I clearly would not dare try to shoot it from a close retention position.

My take now would be that instead of spending the money on the porting, try to sell your gun and take the loss (made up by what you would spend to port) and get a new gun in a caliber you can better handle.

There is another downside to porting. Lots of grit gets inside the slide and I think it played a role in destroying one recoil rod and spring set. I think the grit worked into the mechanism --it was dual spring with reciprocating rods.
    I then had to wait forever till S&W were able to sell me a new assembly.

I still shoot this gun, enjoy it, and constantly argue with myself as to whether to get a new holster for it or sell it.

Meanwhile, it is at the bedside for HD.

I used to have a ported Taurus Tracker .357; the only thing it did was make it louder, and they were a cast-iron (bleep) to clean, especially after firing unjacketed bullets.

I've fired a friend's G21C; I really can't tell any difference between my normal G21, aside from shooting once at dusk; then, those ports seemed to be a real good thing to completely kill your night vision...

I currently have only one ported handgun, a .500 S&W. It needs it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I had my Colt Delta Elite ported by Larry Kelly at Mag-Na-Port back in 1989 and it has been great ever since. In my opinion it did help tame down the recoil. The ports do tend to get very dirty though and need to be cleaned throughly with ever cleaning. That should be part of the cleaning anyway!!!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Can someone please extinguish my ignorance? Even google didn't help on this one very much.

What is porting a handgun?

Administrator

Check out my photo in the above post. Porting normally reduces felt recoil by 15 to 20%.

Do you guys have any experience with HybraPort by Gemini customs( Marc Morganti) I know he's in the guild so I would assume it's quality work?
    Difference compared to Magnaport?

Senior Moderator
    I don't think its a good idea for a gun that one intends to carry concealed.

On a hunting gun, or a race gun, its fine.
    The disadvantages outweigh the advantages for a gun that is to be tucked away most of its life in a holster.

As mentioned, you'd be surprised how much crud can build up in the ports.
    Then there is the issue of fire and blast. The pressure can blow unburned powder particles right into the face and eye, and anything like lint that happens to be in the ports.
    At night time, shooting a gun with lots of fire coming out of it will ruin your night vision. You'll see the flame on your eyeballs for a couple of minutes, completely ruining any chance of seeing in the dark.

As Hopyard already mentioned, shooting it from a retention position can be painful and result in flash burns.

Those are but a few of the reasons that most cops don't carry ported guns.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. What really matters is what you are happy with.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very true HotGuns!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMAG View Post
    I had my Colt Delta Elite ported by Larry Kelly at Mag-Na-Port back in 1989 and it has been great ever since. In my opinion it did help tame down the recoil. The ports do tend to get very dirty though and need to be cleaned throughly with ever cleaning. That should be part of the cleaning anyway!!!
    +1 to having a Colt Delta Elite ported. They did a great job and it made a difference recoil wise. No regrets.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    For those that don't know, there are 2 different ways to "port" a gun.
    One is through conventional machining processes, usually with a milling machine and a small end mill or drill. The advantage is that you can get pretty creative with the hole patterns, size, shape, location. The disadvantage is that it can leave burrs in the bore that are hard to get out.

The other is the EDM process, or Electrical with an electrical arc to vaporize the metal. Most people do not have the equipment to do this. Magnaport and a few others do. The main advantage of this is that is leaves virtually no burr in the barrel and its a very clean cut. Virtually any shape can be machined into it by machining the carbon electrode used to blow out the hole. Also, it can be used for very hard heat treated metals that would eat a regular end mill or drill up.

For revolvers, the hole is machined in the end of the barrel.The semi's like Automag's .45 must have the barrel machined and then a corresponding hole machined in the slide. One might take note that the Magnaports usually use a trapezoidal cut that forces the gas to deflect sideways rather than up...and that is a good thing. The negative is that is isn't quite as effective as porting that is on the top of the barrel, but you don't run the risk of getting hot gas or particles in your face either. Its a trade off really.

On the big calibers,like on a .50 BMG rifle...the porting is absolutely required.Its the only way you can shoot the gun more than once. Porting does have its place.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    For those that don't know, there are 2 different ways to "port" a gun.
    One is through conventional machining processes, usually with a milling machine and a small end mill or drill. The advantage is that you can get pretty creative with the hole patterns, size, shape, location. The disadvantage is that it can leave burrs in the bore that are hard to get out.

The other is the EDM process, or Electrical with an electrical arc to vaporize the metal. Most people do not have the equipment to do this. Magnaport and a few others do. The main advantage of this is that is leaves virtually no burr in the barrel and its a very clean cut. Virtually any shape can be machined into it by machining the carbon electrode used to blow out the hole. Also, it can be used for very hard heat treated metals that would eat a regular end mill or drill up.

For revolvers, the hole is machined in the end of the barrel.The semi's like Automag's .45 must have the barrel machined and then a corresponding hole machined in the slide. One might take note that the Magnaports usually use a trapezoidal cut that forces the gas to deflect sideways rather than up...and that is a good thing. The negative is that is isn't quite as effective as porting that is on the top of the barrel, but you don't run the risk of getting hot gas or particles in your face either. Its a trade off really.

On the big calibers,like on a .50 BMG rifle...the porting is absolutely required.Its the only way you can shoot the gun more than once. Porting does have its place.
    Do you have any knowledge of Gemini customs work ( Revolver)?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Thanks, QKShooter.

I have a couple of questions. They used the phrase 'perceived recoil.' Obviously, the energy of the forward momentum must be conserved. It seems that that the energy change must be from a lower bullet velocity or the opposite force directed angularly from the line of sight. So, instead of a muzzle flip upwards the muzzle will be directed in another direction. Is this correct?

Wouldn't this be a problem if one were to use a ported weapon for competition or practice and then use a non ported weapon as an every day carry? Muscle memory would cause a different reaction for follow up shots.

Clearly, the ballistics of the bullet will change signficantly. Not only the initial velocity, but also the spin/rotation. While insignificant at close ranges,at longer ranges it would impact accuracy significantly. Is this an issue?

Does the porting create a non repeatable change in the rifling pattern making it difficult or impossible for a forensics investigator to match a gun with a bullet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links