What kind of hearing protection do you use?

This is a discussion on What kind of hearing protection do you use? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range yesterday with ccw9mm. We were sighting in my new XS big dots on my Glocks. I turned to ask him ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of hearing protection do you use?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was at the range yesterday with ccw9mm. We were sighting in my new XS big dots on my Glocks. I turned to ask him a question and he ignored me. I felt like I was talking to one of my teenagers. He had the same blank, clueless expression, too.

It turns out, he has 22 layers of ear protection. Well, not really, but he has some ear inserts and then he has some external ear protectors. Turns out, he can't hear much of anything. Not that he was ignoring me, he just didn't hear me.

(BTW, that dual layer of hearing protection came in real handy when one of the guys was shooting a .44 magnum. Dang, that thing is loud and the percussion is just as bad.)

I typically wear just a set of Pro-Ears electronic hearing protection. I can hear conversation and it blots out much of the high decibel gun fire.

What does everyone else wear?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

MidwayUSA - Silencio Original Earmuffs (NRR 25dB) Blue

I wear a pair of inexpensive silencio muffs linked above. They work great for me.

I do shoot at an indoor range and there's often someone there shooting an AR or a shotgun (sometimes it's me), and in those cases I usually wear disposable plugs if it bothers me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Although I have a couple of earmuffs my battle horses are a set of EARinc Insta Molds.

They are very confortable, have great noise reduction and in the hot and humid weather of South Florida, they are a blessing keeping sweat out of your ears.

They are custom made and will only fit your ears which reduces the probability of somebody "accidentally borrowing" them. We have a club member that fits/sells them and the cost is $40. This is my second set and although they are supposed to last only 4 years, my first set is 5 1/2 years and I still have it as back up.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I use simple earmuffs on top of cheap foam in-ear plugs. Works well enough for me. I don't need to do a lot of talking when I'm at the range.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I use simple earmuffs on top of cheap foam in-ear plugs. Works well enough for me. I don't need to do a lot of talking when I'm at the range.
    Me too. Foam plugs with NRR 32 Muff works well. I shoot inside mostly, so I prefer to double up. Outside, muffs do the trick usually.

Two layers....'foamie' inserts and 'mickey mouse' ears.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The Marines gave me some two sided rubber ones, one side is for constant loud noises like industrial stuff, and the other for combat, not as much decibel reduction, but enough. They work well enough for me. But when stuff starts blowin up next to you, or a SMAW rocket (loudest weapon in the grunts) goes off by your head, your ears still ring.

On a side note I know lots of grunts who can't hear well, or need hearing aids, because they decided not to wear ear pro on ranges and stuff. Earpro is important stuff.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I wear foam inserts rated to -32db, and a pair of over the ear protectors. The only exception is when I shoot trap or skeet, then its just the foam inserts.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Having lost much of my high frequencies (I'm sure from mowing lawns :)), one can not have enough hearing protection(s). I double up with foam inserts as well as a headset ear muffs.

Rick

Electronic Pro-Ears.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Due to some hearing loss, I am now a big proponent of hearing protection but since I bring my young kids I also feel the need to hear what's going on. I bought "active" ear muffs, not sure what they are really called but they amplify sounds around you but then cut out when a noise above a certain level and provice noise reduction similar to regular ear muffs. I wear the cheap foam earplugs and then put ear muffs on over them. This allows me to turn up the ear muff so I can hear what's going on around me pretty well (almost like not wearing any) but get twice the noise reduction when a gun is fired.

This works pretty well for me, but is a little weird. The ear muffs I have cut out the sound very quickly but are not real quick at turning back on (maybe half a second after the noise is gone). This does give me a "lost my hearing" feeling for a short time after each shot but I am used to it now. The ear muffs were about $35 so they aren't top-of-the line or anything, which probably explains the delay. But they still work fine for me and I spend the money I saved by not buying the super expensive ear muffs on ammo. (Probably spent the money I saved a couple times already but I don't want to add it up, denial is a wonderful thing!)

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Peltor ComTac II. They give me high gain stereo hearing, also they kill sharp sounds (i.e. IED's, Machine Gun Fire, etc...) They are also made to tie 1 to 2 military Radios, MP3 player, cell phone, or whatever you want while wearing them you just need to but the seperate adaptor cable's. I bought them for and used them in Afghanistan, the pretty penny was worth it or I would probably lost 20-30% of my hearing like some friends did. I still have them so I use them at the range.

Here is a link if anyone is deploying and has a few hundred extra cash.
    Peltor ComTac II Tactical Headset
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Senior Moderator
    I wear plugs and muffs
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Custom molded plugs outside and muffs plus earplugs indoors.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    Due to some hearing loss, I am now a big proponent of hearing protection but since I bring my young kids I also feel the need to hear what's going on. I bought "active" ear muffs, not sure what they are really called but they amplify sounds around you but then cut out when a noise above a certain level and provice noise reduction similar to regular ear muffs. I wear the cheap foam earplugs and then put ear muffs on over them. This allows me to turn up the ear muff so I can hear what's going on around me pretty well (almost like not wearing any) but get twice the noise reduction when a gun is fired.

This works pretty well for me, but is a little weird. The ear muffs I have cut out the sound very quickly but are not real quick at turning back on (maybe half a second after the noise is gone). This does give me a "lost my hearing" feeling for a short time after each shot but I am used to it now. The ear muffs were about $35 so they aren't top-of-the line or anything, which probably explains the delay. But they still work fine for me and I spend the money I saved by not buying the super expensive ear muffs on ammo. (Probably spent the money I saved a couple times already but I don't want to add it up, denial is a wonderful thing!)
    That sounds like a military style, this allows for a machine gun, or a extended engagement. My Peltors do the same thing.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links