Gun Club in the News

This is a discussion on Gun Club in the News within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My gun club made the news today . Basically, a housing development is going up next to the club. The developers apparently failed to inform ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Club in the News

Gun Club in the News

My gun club made the news today.

Basically, a housing development is going up next to the club. The developers apparently failed to inform the buyers that a gun club was adjacent to the development. The buyers failed to check out the neighborhood before they bought their houses.

The comments to the article are pretty funny, with the vast majority of the posts against the idiotic buyers. There are a few comments from people who've lived in the neighborhood for some time, and they pretty much say that the "noise problem" isn't actually a problem.

-JT

2. Remove Ads

I don't know what the problem is with these 'new' residents. Try living on the wrong side of most big cities and you will 'think' you're living next to a firing range...
    At least the sounds (for these complainers) are from those who carry/shoot legally!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

haha... yes, its the evening entertainment here in the city to sit on the porch and play "was it a gun shot or fireworks".
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    You know what is going to happen, don't you? After a while, the residents will complain about the noise and the gun club will be required to either move or limit its activities. The fact that they were there first makes no matter.

Happened with airports, it can happen with gun clubs.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    You know what is going to happen, don't you? After a while, the residents will complain about the noise and the gun club will be required to either move or limit its activities. The fact that they were there first makes no matter.

I know the club was grandfathered regarding the noise ordinance. As far as I know, any legal action is being taken against the developer, NOT the gun club.

If something were to get the club to shut down, it won't be noise...it'll be some idiot shooting over a berm.

We've been lucky so far (knock on wood), and the portions of the range that have berms adjacent to the new properties are restricted to people who've either attended an orientation and received permission to access those areas (locked by separate gates), or have demonstrated their ability to keep their shots below the berm...in addition to an orientation.

The club comes down pretty hard on anyone violating club rules and general safety guidelines.

The new developments are to the west and north of the club. No range shoots to the east, and south of us is the local PD gun range (which hasn't been the issue of any complaints, to my knowledge). If we lob any rounds over any southern berm, the PD could likely return fire!

-JT

one complainant stated they couldn't tell there was a gun range due to the construction hammering noise,you didn't seem to have a problem til you found out it was gunshots,also if you put baffles over the shooting area it cuts doen on noise considerably,also once you live in an area long enough you get accustomed to the sounds and your mind ignores them after awhile.I say quit your whining ya whiny baby,you coulda bought a house next to a rock quarry where they set off explosive charges every now and then
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would want to know what kind of discount I could get. I would love to live close to a gun range. I would have to teach myself to do reloads.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Stay armed...stay safe!

Shouldnt that be; "Stay armed . . . check with your realtor . . . stay safe"?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

This reminds me of a problem with some people who move from the city to farming country. They buy a house, or have one built, right next to a field then try to complain about the noise and dust raised by farming equipment. we just laugh and tell them they should have thought about that before they moved out here!

This sounds like the same basic problem with a different situation.

Typical problem that's rampant in the U.S. today: some moron does something stupid because they didn't think it through properly. Said moron then decides to whine, moan, complain, and then sue, trying to blame their idiocy on someone else.

Unfortunately, my plan to force those people to wear explosive collars keeps getting rejected.

-JT

i vote we evict all the people that are complaining of noise, and sell it dirt cheap to the gun club as "club housing" that way you are never too far from your favorite place :D

I love it when city people buy a dream house til the wind shifts and they get a whiff of the pig farm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post

It has and does happen with gun clubs. One of my clubs now has restrictions due to complaints from folks that bought condos abutting the property. Club has been there since late 1800s IIRC, condos are ~5-7 years old.

Restrictions by Town Meeting were put in place in another town due to complaints by residents about the noise.

A few clubs I know of have been shut down or severely restricted because of complaints by new residents.

Realtors have lied to buyers about clubs being in the process of closing down within a few months . . . just to make a sale. Illegal, but "he said, she said" will get the owners no-where if they push it. Instead they complain to town fathers . . . who do listen.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    i vote we evict all the people that are complaining of noise, and sell it dirt cheap to the gun club as "club housing" that way you are never too far from your favorite place :D
    Now you're talking. I hate condos with a passion, but if the developers near one of my clubs had any sense, he'd offer a "deal" to club members who might want to buy there! Much better than trying to lie to potential buyers that the club is closing or further restricting activities.

Senior Moderator
    Kindof like the people around here moving right on the lake and then freaking out the first morning of duck season. They wake up thinking they were dreaming of WW3.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wait til one of the "come heres" finds some errant rounds in their driveway. Has happened before. Funny, the rounds were still connected to the cases...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links