Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; stopped off at Gander Mtn. today because thats the only local gunstore i can find, but anyway, as im drooling over the "new pistol" case, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm

Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm

stopped off at Gander Mtn. today because thats the only local gunstore i can find, but anyway, as im drooling over the "new pistol" case, i spot the sign that says "S&W Sigma Series 9MM, Only 319.99 with 16rd Mag."

so i held the gun and it didn't feel bad, no clue how it would feel as I'm shooting it, so I'm calling around to some places to see what i can do.

but i was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this gun, and should i jump on it before the sale ends, or run away and hide from it ?

320 is rite in my price range, but if I'm gonna get a terd, well I'd rather save my money and get something better.

thanks much,
    Mike

2. Remove Ads

Sigma's had a lot of problems with early runs that give them a bad rap. And the trigger on them isn't very good, its really heavy. If you can adjust to the trigger, it shoots pretty decently. I have on in my collection, I was lookin for an inexpensive 9mm just to shoot. $320 isn't the best deal I've heard on it, but its not awful.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would tend to agree with buckeye. $320 isn't the best price you could get. Personally I would save a tad more and hold out for a Glock.......
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    stopped off at Gander Mtn. today because thats the only local gunstore i can find, but anyway, as im drooling over the "new pistol" case, i spot the sign that says "S&W Sigma Series 9MM, Only 319.99 with 16rd Mag."

so i held the gun and it didn't feel bad, no clue how it would feel as I'm shooting it, so I'm calling around to some places to see what i can do.

but i was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this gun, and should i jump on it before the sale ends, or run away and hide from it ?

320 is rite in my price range, but if I'm gonna get a terd, well I'd rather save my money and get something better.

thanks much,
    Mike
    the sigma's not a bad gun. it gets a bad rep, because of the original versions. the current versions a tough and reliable, but there's the lingering rep. i bought mine, also at gander mountain, over two years ago. so far, i've had 2 jams, both because of a crap magazine. it's pretty accurate; it's not a competition gun, but at combat distances, it'll get the job done. i trust mine.

most of the bad reviews the sigma receives are due to glock fanboys, who take umbrage that S&W nearly ripped off glock's design, and people who've never actually shot a sigma: "well, i read that....my friend says....people say that....etc, etc, etc."

the biggest problem you'll have with a sigma is finding accessories for it: weaponlights, lasers, night sights, holsters, etc. they're out there, but you'll have to look hard. on the bright side, S&W customer service is top notch, and they'll work with you to resolve any problem.

on a side note, you might want to try other stores in town. i personally don't care for gander mountain's customer service, or their prices. try bill's sporting goods on w. market street and n. main, or J&L (J&G?) sports in throop. you'll probably get a better price at any of these places. i admit that this is just based on my own low opinion of gander mountain; what kind of gun store won't allow you to carry a gun in?

A sidenote for you. Until August 15 smith and wesson has a deal where you can get a $30 rebate or two mags when you buy a sigma, go with the mags.

If possible I'd try to shoot one to see how you deal with the trigger before you buy one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i admit that this is just based on my own low opinion of gander mountain; what kind of gun store won't allow you to carry a gun in?
    good point, found a range 45 mins away that rents out guns, so im gonna see if i can get someone to split the cost of going up there with me... but ill probably go up my next day off, and ill be checking out those places tomorow befor work

:D
    Mike

I like my sigma! It is cheap, feeds reliably and at 15 feet I can put every shot in the black on my target. I've put over 2K rounds of WWB through mine with no problems. But I know that I can go to the local gun store in middlefield and get one for less than $300. You can also get lots of feedback at the S&W forum.
    CW

so i looked at gander's website, and at the adds, from what it looks like, they make you take the S&W $30 rebate over the 2 extra mags. i didnt see the fine print on the sign that said 320 after 30 mail in rebate... so i think ill save a paycheck or two more and get a glock or something

i wish i get paid faster

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    so i looked at gander's website, and at the adds, from what it looks like, they make you take the S&W $30 rebate over the 2 extra mags. i didnt see the fine print on the sign that said 320 after 30 mail in rebate... so i think ill save a paycheck or two more and get a glock or something

i wish i get paid faster
    that offer comes directly from S&W, not gander mountain. you'll get the same deal no matter where you buy one.

I like mine. Very accurate, and unless you have some debilitating arthritis the trigger is not bad. No worse than any dual action revolver trigger. My local shop sold them for $360, but he overcharges for every gun. I did get it when they offered a $50 rebate AND 2 free mags, so I still got a great little gun with 4 - 16 round mags for just over $300.

I have never fired a Sigma so I don't have an opinion. I do however, have a Glock and am very happy with it. There are people that don't like them though. The XD is a fine weapon and cost a little less than the Glock and many people love them. I also have a Kahr I really like. The point is that there are many fine guns in the mid-price range. It comes down to a personal preference. I would find a good shop and hold as many as possible. See if you rent and try some of them. Get what feels best to you. Don't shop price alone as you may be very unhappy in short order. Save some extra dough or put it in lay-away. Spending a couple hundred extra bucks is well worth it if it's for something you want. Who knows the Sigma may be your choice. Just my opinion.

just a warning the sigma has a short life span. snagged me a 380 for helping to build a fence and now i use it to hold down important papers in my gun case. it shoots awful.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    just a warning the sigma has a short life span. snagged me a 380 for helping to build a fence and now i use it to hold down important papers in my gun case. it shoots awful.
    the .380 sigmas are no longer being made, because of that fact. the only ones i've ever seen on the market are used ones, or ones that were bought but never fired, just kept as collectables. i will agree, the .380s were crap. the full size VE, in 9mm and .40, are pretty sturdy guns, and i'm sure mine will last quite a long while. i've put it through some abuse, and it's still going.

so i stopped into gander to ask if the $30 off was from them or from S&W, turns out it was from smith (i would have bought it if it was $30 off from gander, and then smith gave me 2 mags.) but needless to say i guess they don't advertise the 2 free mags because that might cost them ten cents more... i don't know...

so i stopped off at the places jahwarrior72 had mentioned, the one only had like 10 guns in the cases, and was more of a bicycle shop.... but holy cow... walking into J&G was actually like walking into a gun shop (because it is i guess) but anyway, all of their stuff is a lot cheaper than Gander's.

ill probably end up getting whatever i get there, but if i can, Thursday im gonna go up to a range i found, (have it book marked on my laptop) and test fire a few guns, see what i like, and how they fire, then Sunday, take a friend up and shoot some more :D, if all goes well and i find one i like, next Thursday (payday) should be the big day

so im figuring around $5-600 all together... i plan to get the gun itself, an extra mag depending on the price, hopefully a hardside case, and of course a lock. and possibly some cleaning stuff depending on what ive spent so far, though that might have to wait till the next paycheck. ill be picking up a little ammo, but not much, a) because im broke, b) because its a 45min drive to the range, and 45 back. which means i would be doing much shooting which means i think cleaning it can wait for 1 day at the range

*inhales deeply* so, now that ive told you my life story, or at least everything i could think of before my hands cramped from typing too much......... shoot, what was i saying ?

thanks for your thoughts, and a big thanks to jahwarrior72 for telling me about J&G.

i think i might get an old military ammo box... im not sure what ill use it for, but hows that saying go "its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" :P

so thanks,
    Mike
    d-.-b

OH YEA... so i saw the walther p22 up close its all small and cute (my first thought) i thought i might break it just looking at it. i didnt see any p99s, so im yet to even hold one :( but im leaning toward glock a lot :P

what range are you talking about that takes 45 minutes to get to? sunset hills, in the poconos? it's a great range, and you can rent guns there, on the cheap, but if you're just going to shoot your own gun, archbald is a whole lot closer. take 81 to the carbondale exit, then get off at the salem/cortes exit. make a right, and drive 'til you see the big wooden game commission sign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links