rounding out my collection

This is a discussion on rounding out my collection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, it has been a while since I've been able to buy a firearm, but in a couple weeks I'll get to again, and then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rounding out my collection

rounding out my collection

Well, it has been a while since I've been able to buy a firearm, but in a couple weeks I'll get to again, and then I'll be out of the country and unable to for a while. I've got cash set aside, some for a gun safe (I'm thinking a liberty centurion model), and some for buying a firearm. My price range is around the $700 mark. Just looking to round out my collection, here are the top runners, if anyone has suggestions for replacements in the price range I'll take that into consideration as well. It's a very varied list, so make an arguement for the one you like best.

Smith and Wesson 686 .357 with 6" barrel
    SA XD Service model .45
    Beretta Stampede 5.5" barrel, .357
    Savage in .308 or .30-06
    Stoeger Condor in 12 gauge
    Rem870/Mossberg 835 with at least 26" barrel
    Marlin .357 carbine

If anyone else knows of any good contenders in either a general purpose (non HD shotgun), or solid general use bolt action rifle, I'd be glad to hear them.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; July 1st, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd go with the Marlin or 870... with the 686 in a close 3rd place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Interesting to hear you put the Marlin first, any reasoning behind that?
    For 870's Wingmasters or Police models are the good ones, right?

Anyone have any opinions on the 7 shot 686, I can get it for like $20 more than the 6 shot, how does cylinder size compare for holsters and such?

I guess this is my Heller celebration gun, although I'm late to that party too, I just found out about the decision last night.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    The Marlin is just a handy gun...its fun and cheap to shoot and you can do about anything you want with it. It would make an ideal survival SHTF type of gun too. Plus, I've wanted one for years, but never bought one.

Yes, the Wingmaster is the better field gun, the P is the better or best of them all.

The 686+ is a little fatter, so you do have to get specific holsters for the + model.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just bought a mossberg 930 semi auto 12 gauge combo package for 505.00 shipped it has 2 barrels a 18 1/2" cylinder bore HD barrel and a 28" vent rib with choke tubes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dukal, howz the operating system on that 930?

An autoloader shotty would be cool, but I do like the reliability of pumps. Had any problems with it?

While on the topic, how about other semi shotguns? Anyone have anything to say about Benellis?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

the marlin lever action in .357
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The Marlin, but perhaps the 336SS (30-30).

You have a great list! How tough it must be for you, to have to pick only one.

Stay armed...add ammo to your list...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Marlin 336 already Ret, I bought one a few years back, love that rifle. I want a lever action in .357 and .45LC too, but the .357 is more practical right now. Ammo is always on the list.

Next year I'm gonna be able to get a very expensive 1911, which will be awesome, this will hold me over till then.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

You have some excellent choices listed. The decision will be yours, and you shouldn't be swayed from your own preferences by others preferences - and I'm sure you won't be. That said, it would help to know your interests and priorities. But I have or have owned most of the guns on your list. I don't mind sharing my own perceptions about the choices.

I just sold my 686. It was a great competition gun 25 years ago. I used it for both PPC and Pins. But with a six inch barrel it was bigger and heavier than I wanted to carry for woods walking, less powerful that I wanted for hunting, and certainly a poor choice for a carry gun. I kept my model 19 and model 66 with four inch barrels. For me they were much more practical. True the 686 is stronger if you want to shoot a lot of magnum loads, but shooting a lot of magnum loads was never my idea of fun.

The SA XD .45 is a sound choice if you don't have a .45acp. I prefer the 1911 platform. But the XD has a lot of fans. If the XD fills a gap in your collection, it is a viable choice.

The Beretta Stampede in .357 would not be my choice in a single action revolver simply because it tries to marry the mechanics of the Colt with the transfer bar safety of the Ruger. I would either purchase a good Colt clone or a Ruger New Vaquero, depending on whether I wanted a classic design or a modern SA design. However, if you can get the Beretta at a real bargain price, give it a try. Everybody needs one or two cowboy guns. (I have 18 single actions)

The Savage is a great choice. The new trigger is splendid. Both .308 and 30-06 are great calibers. However performance between the two is very similar so you don't need both. I would opt for the .308 because it is shorter so the rifle action can be shorter. It also might be easier to find ammo in a tight situation. But either caliber is a great choice. Look at the "scout" rifle. If you hunt and don't have a hunting rifle, certainly you need one. A good bolt gun in either caliber is ideal for any game in the USA and is also a fine battle/survival rifle.

Stoeger Condor. This would be my last choice for two reasons. One, I don't like Stoeger and two, the Condor doesn't have enough class.

Remington 870, yes, everybody ought to have one. Get a 26" barrel and an 18 or 20 inch barrel and you have all your bases covered. If you don't have a good shotgun, then certainly this is a gap that must be filled.

My Marlin 94 in .357 has been a perfect workhorse. I suppose I have at least 15.000 rounds through it and it is better than new. Marlin quality seems to have dropped a bit in the past three or four years. I'd look for a used one. But the Marlin doesn't fill a gap in your collection. It is a niche gun. It is great if you intend to get into cowboy action shooting someday. It is okay for game from Coyote on down...but there are better choices. It is very marginal for deer. I wouldn't use it for such. It is a good home defense weapon. It is a good survival weapon. And it is a super plinker. It will take .38 spec. in most cases so long as OAL is around 1.42" minimum.

If I were you I would make my selection in terms of greatest need measured against the amount of use the gun would get. Happy shopping!

Savage in .308.

A lot of good insight there hoot, thanks. A few responses for ya.

686 with the 6 inch barrel was chosen because its whats in the sales flyer for under $600 at the gun store back where I'll be taking leave at. I've been wanting a long barreled .357 for a while, and its a good deal on one. (Already have a snub nosed .357, trying not to get too many new calibers).

I also prefer the 1911, which is why one is my carry gun. However right now it is my only .45 ACP, so I was looking into it as a .45 for if my 1911 goes down, and because of the polymer pistols, I tend to like the look and feel of the xd the best.

Didn't know that about the Stampede. I already have an Uberti in .45 LC, want a SAA in .357 too, it was just the one I found the best deals on back home online, Uberti or Ruger are viable contenders for the right price.

My bolt actions right now are both Mil-surp WW2, and I'd like one in either of those calibers that I can set up with a scope and modify and beat up without the historian in me hating myself, I like Savages triggers, but a Rem 700 at the right price would also be an option.

Some of my friends have Condors, they shoot well enough, I like my Coach gun, but an O/U in my mind is more of a specialty shotgun, which is why it is probably last on my list two, a good pump or semi can do the same and more.

I have my HD shotgun needs covered by a coachgun and Mossy 500 persuader with 20" barrel. But my collection has been missing a blued and wood long barreled shotgun for general use, Rem or Mossberg, the eternal saga continues.

I have two lever actions (Marlin .30-30/Henry .22), I like the way they handle, I like the look, don't know if I'll do SASS, but I like cowboy guns. It just seems like it would be a handy rifle to keep around.

All my standard firearms needs are covered, and right now they don't get nearly the attention they need because they didn't come with me to my permanent duty station. Just setting up my collection for after my time in the service.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

First off, let me issue a disclaimer: I am a gun snob when it comes to o/u and sxs shotties. So judge my advice accordingly.

Don't buy a Stoger Condor unless you like carrying around big lumps of metal that have absolutly no aesthetic characteristics. For the same price or close, you can get a Mossberg Reserve and have a more well balance firearm that looks decent. For $700, which I think you said was your price range, you can get a slightly used Red Label, Winchester Supreme, or maybe even a Browning if your lucky. I bought a like new Browning Citori on GB for $700.

If your buying a shotgun to shoot for hunting or clay sports, buy one that's nice to handle, carry, and look at.

JMO, YMMV.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

No need for the disclamer sgt. Thats why I pose such questions on the forums. Looking through Mossbergs site they are coming out with a lot of new stuff, man being in the field for a month at a time makes you not know things.

Their reserve shotguns look good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    No need for the disclamer sgt. Thats why I pose such questions on the forums. Looking through Mossbergs site they are coming out with a lot of new stuff, man being in the field for a month at a time makes you not know things.

Their reserve shotguns look good.
    Yeah, they're not bad for the price. They are built in Turkey and they seem to really know how to build a well balanced gun there. I have shot both the 20 and 12 models and they swing nice and are not too heavy. Of course they aren't built like English game guns, but they are proportioned equivalently to most US designed guns, like the Winchesters, or Brownings. I have a CZ Bobwhite 20ga. that is made in Turkey and it is a close to a true game gun as I'll probably ever own. Well purportioned and lightweight compared to most, including the Italian guns.

If you plan to shoot a lot of clays, you don't want a real light gun anyway, but neither do you want to be carrying an anvil with barrels on it.

Take care and good luck with your trip out of the country.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links