Why don't they sell...

This is a discussion on Why don't they sell... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Glock 28 in the states (Besides to LE, and such) to the general public. Is it really that much of a pistol? I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't they sell...

Why don't they sell...

The Glock 28 in the states (Besides to LE, and such) to the general public. Is it really that much of a pistol? I have seen one and really like it. The .380 is kind of a unique aspect also.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

2. Remove Ads

While that might be a rather nice alternative for U.S. customers, (and surely a viable consumer base), there are certain international restrictions on the availability of that pistol/caliber to the general public.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    The Glock 28 in the states (Besides to LE, and such) to the general public. Is it really that much of a pistol? I have seen one and really like it. The .380 is kind of a unique aspect also.
    Has to do with import restrictions. The .380 somehow fails the import test. Why they don't manufacture it here, I do not know. However, the .380 is exactly the same size as the 26 which is in full 9mm. Since it is the exact same size and only an ounce or two more, why would you go with the weaker caliber?

Now if they made a .380 the size of the LCP, then I would definitely travel to Austria to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    While that might be a rather nice alternative for U.S. customers, (and surely a viable consumer base), there are certain international restrictions on the availability of that pistol/caliber to the general public.
    And what might those be?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    BINGO.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Exactly my point. I like the overall dimensions of the sub-compact line-up, and I was looking at the LCP also. I do not like the fact that the LCP has no safety (Albeit a glock is in the trigger), but it is there! From looking at it, it seems to appear the same, and I would be curious as to what makes this pistol "Fail". Heck all glocks practically fail a limp wrist test, but that besides the point if that is what's holding it back. To address the .380 issue; I do realize the difference in caliber, but it's "just different" to say you have one. Ranting done!! LOL

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

And what might those be?
    Being a military caliber in the country of origin for one.
    G25 & G28
    The G25 and G28 are .380 ACP versions of the G19 & G26. Because of their caliber they do not get enough import points for normal importation and are only available to LE and military.
    From this site: The Glock FAQ [Glock Model Info]

It just seems to me, that the only advantage of the .380 is that it can be in a smaller gun...pocket carry if you will. Considering that the G25 and G28 are the same dimensions as the G19 and G26, and the 9mm is a better round, there is no practical reason to have one. But whoever said gun aficionados were practical?

Now, like I said, if Glock were to make a .380 the size of the LCP...

Now, like I said, if Glock were to make a .380 the size of the LCP...
    But the LCP doesn't go along with the O.P.! Hey! That rhymes!

Ok, everyone point taken, but it's still kinda bull to a point. We're in America where the consumer has the power.. Not, and just kidding.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Why they don't manufacture it here, I do not know.
    They canít manufacture the slides in the U.S. The tenifer process violates our environmental regulations.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    ....Why they don't manufacture it here, I do not know.........
    They would be unable to get EPA permission to do the Tenifer coating in the USA. The chemicals involved are rather harsh.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It just seems to me, that the only advantage of the .380 is that it can be in a smaller gun...pocket carry if you will. ...there is no practical reason to have one.
    Are you saying that a disabled person with severe arthritis who may not be able to handle the recoil of a 9mm & or find a mouse gun like the P3AT or Ruger LCP too small to hold with arthritic hands should not have a right to defend themselves with a firearm?

A .380 in a slightly larger frame than a mouse gun sure beats a rimfire .22 cal any day, as far as I'm concerned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Are you saying that a disabled person with severe arthritis who may not be able to handle the recoil of a 9mm & or find a mouse gun like the P3AT or Ruger LCP too small to hold with arthritic hands should not have a right to defend themselves with a firearm?

A .380 in a slightly larger frame than a mouse gun sure beats a rimfire .22 cal any day, as far as I'm concerned.
    Have you been taking lessons from my ex-wife??

If I had thought of that situation, I would have reworded my statement. I was thinking more in terms of "normal" situations where given the two calibers, the 9mm would be the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

A .380 in a slightly larger frame than a mouse gun sure beats a rimfire .22 cal any day, as far as I'm concerned
    Indeed it does! It's quite possible you can file a habeus insurrecti petition with the Austrian government and hope for diplomatic immunity--however-once that task has been complete, you'll have to petition the US government as to the ways and means where you feel you are more deserving than any other citizen to own such firearm. I hate to sound callous, but a handicapped license plate won't give you an edge in that scenario. Listen----I love my Glocks too. Don't take it personal. You know what? I'd be willing to bet there's a lawyer out there somewhere that's more than willing to take up your cause. Seriously.

Ram Rod... LOL, I was just trying to make a case for G-28. Not that I need one or even want one.

Personally, I'm a big bore fan, but I do carry a 9mm as a BUG. (btw... I like your Avatar! Since I'm an Aries, I favor the Ram! I also have 2 Dodges)

exactlymypoint... I hope I haven't been learning anything from your ex-wife. Sometimes I'm just the devils advocate!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links