Shooting in your house...

This is a discussion on Shooting in your house... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a quick question for all... I have shot many rounds down range with full "ears and eyes" on. I have even taken shots outdoors ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in your house...

Just a quick question for all...
    I have shot many rounds down range with full "ears and eyes" on. I have even taken shots outdoors without ear protection just to see how loud it would be.
    But, let's say I get awaken in the middle of the night by someone trying to get in my house. I get up, get the 9mm pistol(I know, I know... should be a shotgun, but not there yet), look down my hall(I live in a ranch style home), see the BG and begin to fire in self defense. I would imagine the noise from the first shot(let alone subsequent shots), while standing in a narrow hall without ear protection would about deafen me. Would I be able to talk to or hear anyone yelling at me? Is there any way to possibly simulate or train for that? Is is very easy to fire at an unmoving target at the range while protected. Has anyone been in this scenario?

Your hearing would should be okay from a few shots. You would have more adrenaline pumping than you ever have in your life, so everything would seem "different."

The main thing that a lot of people don't consider is how their eyes will react to the flash from the gun, unfortunately there really isn't a way to "practice" for that.

It'll certainly be loud, but according to many sources the chemical dump of excitement/stress surging through your body will make it different than you expect. Likely, you may not even truly hear it, given what you're focusing on.

Yes, the sound's pressure waves will still damage those little hairs and pieces in the ear, same as always. Though, better that than failing to fire for fear of hearing damage, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyodaddio View Post
    Just a quick question for all...
    I have shot many rounds down range with full "ears and eyes" on. I have even taken shots outdoors without ear protection just to see how loud it would be.
    But, let's say I get awaken in the middle of the night by someone trying to get in my house. I get up, get the 9mm pistol(I know, I know... should be a shotgun, but not there yet), look down my hall(I live in a ranch style home), see the BG and begin to fire in self defense. I would imagine the noise from the first shot(let alone subsequent shots), while standing in a narrow hall without ear protection would about deafen me. Would I be able to talk to or hear anyone yelling at me? Is there any way to possibly simulate or train for that? Is is very easy to fire at an unmoving target at the range while protected. Has anyone been in this scenario?

Neither cops nor soldiers wear hearing protection on the job. If it comes down to it, your hearing will remain intact......hopefully the same won't be said for the BG!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Neither cops nor soldiers wear hearing protection on the job. If it comes down to it, your hearing will remain intact......hopefully the same won't be said for the BG!
    In particular soldiers frequently suffer from hearing loss (even talked to an artillery guy ;-) ). Your hearing is usually damaged from prolonged damage (e.g. listening to loud music a lot) or extreme loud noise (explosions). Handgun shots even indoors should not be loud enough to cause immediate permanent damage. Try to keep it below one box of ammo for each intruder ;-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I agree with the other replied. I have actually been caught off-guard at the range house with .223 fire, and other large rounds, and yes, it is very loud. But your sensitivity will probably be focused in other ways, and the body will adapt.

Stay safe!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    You really won't notice the noise at the time, but your ears will be ringing later.

The muzzle flash will have a much more immediate effect
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    Your hearing would should be okay from a few shots...(snip)...The main thing that a lot of people don't consider is how their eyes will react to the flash from the gun, unfortunately there really isn't a way to "practice" for that.
    I've wanted to get a suppressor for my .45acp for in the house use if needed (don't want to damage the hearing of my 3 little boys and wife) and wondered if this would also cut down on the muzzle flash? If so, wouldn't this be the way to go? This is assuming you have the money to acquire one.
    Last edited by buzzgum; July 3rd, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: additional information

Try to keep it below one box of ammo for each intruder ;-)
    lol. I WILL try. Depends on how angry I am for being woken up in the middle of the night... jk.
    Never really thought of the muzzle flash. Then again since I shoot at the range it is always well lit so I have actually never seen it. I do try to keep my house lit through the night, but that doesn't mean the BG can't try to turn off the light.
    I have thought about the military and leo's, and I do know that prolonged high noise levels can cause hearing damage. I was just wondering about the ability to communicate during or after with, possibly, family. Guess adrenaline does help though.
    Thanks for the quick replies. I truly enjoy this site. It has be a wealth of knowledge.
    I've wanted to get a suppressor for my .45acp for in the house use if needed (don't want to damage the hearing of my 3 little boys and wife) and wondered if this would also cut down on the muzzle flash? If so, wouldn't this be the way to go? This is assuming you have the money to acquire one.
    What is the cost for these and just how hard is it to get one?

1) If it's so dark that muzzle flash "blinds" you, you were shooting in an environment that was too dark to see more than an outline. Get training on appropriate use of hand held lights and/or install a centrally controlled home-lighting system. Equally, if you do shoot from ambush for some particular reason, better defensive loads,like CorBon, use powders that mitigate flash significantly. Still kinda bright.

2) Report won't do much at the time, especially since you're the one making "Boom!" As stated, later you'll feel like you're listening to evyeryone/everything while sitting on the bottom of a pool.

$250-500, depending on materials, caliber, etc.. I don't know if PA is a "can can" state, but I believe so. County SO signs off for you, application & tax to the ATF...

Quote Originally Posted by heyyodaddio View Post
    $200 BATF Tax Stamp, background check fee, Class 3 FFL Dealer transfer fee (varies by dealer), $250 - $500 for suppressor (depending on manufacturer and caliber) some more money for a threaded barrel and gunsmith fee. In my case, it would be for my XD-45acp Service model and it'll end up costing me almost twice as much as I paid for my pistol.

Senior Moderator
    I once asked my husband if he actually "heard" anything while in combat and after thinking for a few minutes he said, "No, not really."

Yes, soldiers do experience hearing loss but not NEARLY as much as hearing experts would expect due to their occupation. I'll try to find the article I read on this exact subject.

Adrenaline, shock, all of those automatic responses are designed to protect the body, including your hearing.

When people tell me they want to go out to the range without hearing protection to "get ready" for what the shots will sound like without hearing protection if they need their firearm in self defense I try to remind them that they are going to do more damage to their ears in that "practice" session than they will ever do in a self defense situation because the adrenaline is not protecting their ears.

The moment you are awoken in the middle of the night you are going to start experiencing adrenaline because you are already on alert and, possibly, a little frightened. When you go down the hall and see that intruder my guess is just about the time your brain even thinks to pull that trigger your body is going to experience such an adrenaline dump that a 40mm could go off just behind you and you'd barely hear a pop.

Don't worry about the noise. Chances are it won't do serious damage. Protect your hearing when your body isn't going to do it for you. You only get one set of ears.

I also agree about what was said in regards to the muzzle flash. If it's dark enough where muzzle flash would blind you it's too dark for positive target identification. Look into getting a good flashlight and practicing with it.

The first shot----normally you'd go deaf on this one. Thing about the human body and adrenaline--it's sort of a chemical protection for the human body. While you remain focused on your target-you'll also have tunnel vision and be pretty much in your own little world and oblivious to other things as long as you're engaged in the situation. You may even get shot yourself and not know it immediately if not struck in a vital area as even pain will have a delayed reaction. When the situation is resolved and the adrenaline subsides, you'll likely start to feel the pain, or ringing in the ears, etc......

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    A suppressor would certainly cut down on muzzle flash, but as others have suggested, so would a flashlight (which will also help in identifying the bad guy).

As far as your wife and sons hearing, if there is someone in the house and you are defending them, they need to be locked in a room together calling 911 if at all possible. If they are in a different room with the door closed, there really is no chance of hearing damage from handgun fire.

Google "auditory exclusion."
    I was not in a house when I was involved in a shooting, but it should have been loud. My gun sounded like popcorn pops. I had read that it would, but figured that even if I didn't hear it, my ears would ring afterward, as the damage is there, even if it doesn't reach the brain, but they didn't even ring. I have been "caught by surprise" by a couple of rounds, including a handgun round in the confines of a shoot house. It was beyond uncomfortable to painful, but then I wasn't concentrating on not getting shot.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links