Best way to sell...

Best way to sell...

This is a discussion on Best way to sell... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a few older rifles that I may be interested in selling so I can trade up, and I really have no clue how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to sell...

I have a few older rifles that I may be interested in selling so I can trade up, and I really have no clue how to do it.

Are there any regulations in TX that I need to know, do i have to use an FFL even if selling locally, do I just list them on eBay or Crag's list?

Any suggestions would be great. I know I will need pics, that much is given.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Can't sell them on ebay. If it is a face to face sell, then no FFL is needed. If it has to be shipped, it has to be done through an FFL.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

EBay and Craig's lists don't do firearms period. It violates their terms of service. There are other internet venues such as gunbroker, or gunsamerica. You could also list them in your local newspaper classifieds, or post the items here and ship to an FFL dealer in any state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You could also list them in your local newspaper classifieds
    People still read those

I'll check out gunbroker, didn't know it was around. I might get in trouble and buy more than I sell if I am not careful
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    People still read those
    Sure! I do alot. Online of course. The only reason I get the actual Sunday newspaper is to line the bottom of the bird cage. If your local newspaper isn't online then you're really living out in the boonedocks.

Star Community Newspapers

Dallas Morning News is the local paper here, too liberal for me to read, but I might check out the online ads and see what others may be listing.

-Paco

B52
    Paco, I usually just mention to some of my trusted co-workers that I am selling a gun. Word quickly spreads and I usually sell it in a week's time. I am military, so I am not scared to mention firearms at work. If you are working in a good enviroment, I would try this tactic. I have a bill-of-sale word doc file, PM me if you need it. Good luck!

Paco, check this online forum out.
    Texas gun trader-Dallas / Ft. Worth

The easiest way by far is to sell face to face. The prior link is a online classified that is local to your area, and I have purchased guns off of there.

Other than that, the prior suggestions are all good. You will probably get more responses to a national classified system, but between the hassle of shipping and charges involved, you will probably come out about even on price.

You can also check out aubreyturner.org: Dallas/Ft. Worth Gun Shows

There is a gun show at Will Rodgers on the 12th, and all you have to do is check in your firearm at the front and they will put a zip tie on it, and just walk around. Some people tie price tags to their guns.

You don't need an FFL or anything else to sell to a person. It is a good idea to look at an I.D. to make sure they are over 18 and are here legally. Whether you or the buyer wants to copy down any information is entirely up to you.

If selling a gun to an unknown person bothers you, you can also have one of the dealers at the gun show do the transfer for you for probably around $20-25.

Another added advantage of the gun show is if you see something a dealer has that you want, you could always trade with them and cut out the middle man. Whether you get a good trade or not is entirely up to you. Good luck!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

shipping

there are plenty of places to advertise firearms.
    Some of the best are the forums like this.
    TheHighRoad is one of the best classifieds, very active.
    Also find the forum for the make of gun you are selling. There's a forum dedicated to nearly every make.

If you are really ready to make them find a new home, GunBroker works. It's just like selling on ebay, except simpler and cheaper.
    Be prepared to ship, through an FFL. Buyer pays that expense.

Shipping: You can ship a long gun within your state of residence without involving a FFL. You can also do this with a handgun, but it's harder to find a carrier who will accept it for shipment.

Great info, much to look at over the long weekend.

I doubt I will get much for them anyway, they are all old rifles that were my Grandfather's (I won't be selling the Mauser or the Winchester 30/30) but I figure there isn't any real attachment to the rest.

-Paco

So, whatcha got?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Paco, why don't you give us a short list and see if there's any interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    So, whatcha got?
    I'll take some pics and post them later on today.

-Paco

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Any thoughts on Bud's. I've been very happy on the buying side. Gun Classifieds - BudsGunShop.com
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

You do know that we have a lot of folks from the DFW area on here. Why not start with listing them here on DCC first and see what happens.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links