Why no TV commercials?

Why no TV commercials?

This is a discussion on Why no TV commercials? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there some law restricting the advertisement of guns? I was watching TV last night and flashed a thought, "I wouldn't mind seeing a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no TV commercials?

Why no TV commercials?

Is there some law restricting the advertisement of guns? I was watching TV last night and flashed a thought, "I wouldn't mind seeing a good Sig Sauer or Smith & Wesson TV commercial..." When you think about it, they could give a really good pro-2nd amendment viewpoint and inspire some of the audience who doesn't ever really think about guns. Of course I get the local channels in Ohio, no military channel or other specialized channels that as far as I know might already be airing such commercials... Any thoughts?

I know I have seen gun advertised on the Outdoor Network or whatever it is called now. Maybe on a couple of other channels while watching hunting shows too. So I don't think there is any legislation about it. Probably a choice by either the channels or the gun makers themselves.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Radio and magazines

I have heard gun stores advertise on local radio, and they will often mention a special deal on a particular brand and model of handgun. And there is quite a bit of print advertising of handguns and rifles in gun and hunting magazines.

I suspect the reason for lack of gun advertising on TV is just economics. TV ads are very expensive, and are generally dominated by large consumer products companies selling products appealing to a wide audience. Small manufacturers like gun companies have a "diffuse" market, made up of a small percent of the population who are scattered far and wide. It would be hard to reach them with TV ads economically. It is probably more effective to target them in media dedicated to their interests, such as gun magazines.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

They tend to advertise only during shows that target a specific audience like on the outdoor channels,thats why you don't see evinrude or mercury motors advertised during CSI miami
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ahhhh... forgot to factor in the demographic. Thanks for your time!

Our local affiliate channels will run our Shooter type store commercials. I have seen one on almost every store we have around here more than once. Of course, I live in Louisiana AKA "Sportsman's Paradise" so we have a lot of hunters & fisherman in our area. I have never seen an official Glock or S&W commercial. Just on Outdoors channel and you tube.

1943 - 2009
    Why no TV commercials?

The answer is obvious.

Surely you're aware that the Big 3 (ABC, NBC, CBS) occupy the far left position of the spectrum and are blatantly anti-gun. The network execs would sooner give up their bonuses and perks before they would accept advertising from the gun companies.

Unthinkable!

When was the last time you saw anything pro-gun aired on ABC, NBC, or CBS? Well, John Stossel on ABC is the lone exception.

I wouldn't count on seeing any Glock commercials on FOX, either.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Why no TV commercials?

The answer is obvious.

Surely you're aware that the Big 3 (ABC, NBC, CBS) occupy the far left position of the spectrum and are blatantly anti-gun. The network execs would sooner give up their bonuses and perks before they would accept advertising from the gun companies.

Unthinkable!

When was the last time you saw anything pro-gun aired on ABC, NBC, or CBS? Well, John Stossel on ABC is the lone exception.

I wouldn't count on seeing any Glock commercials on FOX, either.
    +1 on this. Besides, do you have any idea how many people would see the evil handguns on the tv and break out in a cold sweat, start crying, and take cover in their bathtubs?...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Personal Defense TV (Outdoor Channel) has all sorts of gun commercials. It's really cool seeing some of them. It's channel 606 on DirecTV.

Personal Defense Television

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    For those of you old enough, were there gun commercials on the major networks back in the 50's and 60's? I don't think that even in a more friendly gun era there were any commercials.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    For those of you old enough, were there gun commercials on the major networks back in the 50's and 60's? I don't think that even in a more friendly gun era there were any commercials.
    I'm old enough to remember, and no, there were not, although the prime time programming (oaters and detective shows, mostly) at the time weren't as blatantly anti-gun as they are now.

(With the exception of Hawaii 5-0), that is.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I don't remember any either. I do remember several Western series where guns were common: Gunsmoke, The Sons of Will Sonnet?, the Rifleman... several movies: 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, A Fistful of Dollars, plus several more of Clint Eastwood's... I could probably remember more if I wasn't so tired.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I know I have seen gun advertised on the Outdoor Network or whatever it is called now. Maybe on a couple of other channels while watching hunting shows too. So I don't think there is any legislation about it. Probably a choice by either the channels or the gun makers themselves.
    yeah he right about the Outdoor Channel. One of the main reasons why those commercials are maily on the outdoor channel is because firearms are a niche market. It is not enough people that are into firearms the advertise on regular channels, that would be a waste of marketing dollars.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

no but you could buy a gun in almost any hardware store in town including sears and montgomery wards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    no but you could buy a gun in almost any hardware store in town including sears and montgomery wards

I know out my way Sears do not sell firearms( it would be convient though) and I have never heard of Montgomery Wards. I think it may only be like that where you live.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links