What should i expect to get ?

This is a discussion on What should i expect to get ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so as i look into my first gun purchase, i am wondering all the little things ill have to get along with the gun. i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should i expect to get ?

Question What should i expect to get ?

so as i look into my first gun purchase, i am wondering all the little things ill have to get along with the gun. i have a bad habit of forgetting the... well, "helpers" if you will...

from what im thinking, ill need to get:
    gun
    lock
    ammo
    cleaning supplies

im assuming that when i buy it, it will come with some sort of storage case.

and then possible an extra mag, and a holster.

anything else im forgetting ? any advice on which things can wait and what i need to get rite now ?

thanks much,
    your paranoid-about-forgetting-something friend,
    Mike
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

Gun, practice ammo, self defense ammo, training, cleaning supplies, and holsters are necessitites.

Extras would include: safe, more training, more ammo, and of course, more holsters.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

More reloading devices, either Magazines or Speedloaders and some way to carry a reload or two on your person.

For Revolvers I use a pair of Speedloaders in a LowePro Digital Camera Case. It doesn't look "gunny" and does a good job hiding two reloads in plain sight. I also carry a pair of Speed-Strips in my weakside pocket.

If you select an Autoloader I would have at least three Magazines beyond the one that comes with the gun. My "rule" is to always carry at least one reload per gun carried. I usually carry two reloads per gun and I carry two or three guns at the same time.

Ammo and training is next on my list, and then more ammo and training. It looks like you have everything else covered.

Biker

Depending on the manufacturer, dealer, or state, you may get a lock with it.

I would say be sure to get at least one extra mag, more if you can afford a few.

Watch out for the cheap holsters, they are notorious for poor fit and function.

You may want to obtain a few spare parts for it, just in case. There is nothing worse than having your only gun broken for a week or two while you wait for a thirty five cent spring.

I hope you get some practice ammo, but you may also want to get some self defense ammo too.

As mentioned above, training and a safe are good ideas as well.

Don't forget to include a small tactical flashlight!

Administrator

Post Your License To Carry

As soon as you get your firearm go and get your Pennsylvania License To Carry.

Pennsylvania is "Shall Issue" so go and get it even though you may not initially feel qualified to carry your firearm.

There is no written or oral exam and no range time or range qualification necessary in order for you to get your PA. carry license.

It just makes things easier for you if you have it...because having it on your person is instant verification that your background has already been checked.

Without really getting into it I sat in on one court case where the kid had a properly registered firearm (no criminal history) and was on his way back from the range...the officer checked and range happened to be closed that evening...so the argument was: How could he be on his way back from the range when the range was not open that day? - this happened after he was stopped for a traffic violation...the officer felt that his loaded magazine was in too close of a proximity to his unloaded firearm since the loaded mag was in the vehicle glove compartment...the same location that the kid had go for his vehicle paperwork...the officer said that he felt "threatened" & seized his firearm....blah blah blah...the judge (a good common sense guy) ultimately tossed the entire case out of court.

The young man had his firearm promptly returned to him..(BTW it was determined that he was completely within his rights) but, the final conversation of the judge to the kid was....

"Why didn't you just go get your License To Carry????
    You could have avoided all of this."

The kid replied...
    "I wanted to get some practice time in first. I didn't think I was ready to carry yet."

The judge ended with..."Just go and get it when you leave here. None of this is going on your record. Just go and get your license."

Call your closest Sheriffs office.

Find out exactly what you need to take with you in order to get your license.

You will probably need two references (not relatives) - their Names Addesses AND Phone #s.

Don't forget the phone #s since they will probably not let you use their phone book to look up numbers.

You will need your drivers license and one other proper form of ID.

Find out what the fee is. Take the Exact CASH.

Go get your PA. LTC.
    You can thank me later for this friendly advice.

Oh...and add a good gun belt to your list of necessary items to have.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Administrator
    I should add that my above post should not lead to to believe that anything bad will happen to you if you own a properly registered firearm and don't have your PA LTC.

It's just that for the minimal fee it's much better to get it right away and have it - than not have it.

That way you'll have it whenever you feel you're ready to carry.
    And even if you think that you'll never want to carry...you may have some future "life emergency" when you may have to carry.

Sound advice from QKShooter!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

well i cant get my CCW... well PA LTC, because im only 19, i was told that ccw age was 19, but have now found out i was misinformed. rite now im focusing on the gear, and range time till i can apply (April 12th, 2010... god that sounds so far away)

i plan on getting a tac light. i also plan on getting a holster that can hold a glock with a tac light on it. im planning on getting a leg holster as for Halloween i want to do something S.W.A.T. related, or something like that. (my friends do a big Halloween party at their hoagie shop)

now i know i can OC till im 21, but does it become concealed if i sit down in my car ? meaning if its in plain view as im walking, but is partially hidden by the center glove box, im in deep doo doo arent i?

anyone know a place that does prescription shooting glasses ? i hate wearing goggles over my glasses. ide like to get a set of oakly sunglasses but would a range let me use those as "saftey glasses" ?

thanks a lot for all your help, i feel like such a newb, but all you guys/gals are great :D

EDIT: HowardCohodas, thanks for the links, lots of stuff i wanna get... i cant figure out why paydays are so few and far between ?!?!?... lol
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

all of the above, and as kerbouchard mentioned more holsters.
    no gunownership is complete without a drawer full of holsters.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I wear the Wiley-X model XL-1

A lot of military are wearing them in the desert because they are both a sunglasses that provide low profile full goggle protection.

My prescription ones are with the light adjusting lenses. When I had mine done they only did a single correction but they are now able to do multi-corrections, ie, bifocals and progressives.

The light adjusting models do not get as dark as the smoke grey but they are excellent shooting glasses because they will lighten up to clear or darken down as needed.

I like them so much I am going to get a pair of dark ones in the smoke grey with progressive lenses.

The eye shop I use is a Wiley-X dealer so I ordered them through my eye doctor, but you can order prescription ones directly from Wiley-X as well. (click on the Prescription link for details) You need to go to their prescription page and make sure you give them ALL the required information regarding your prescription.

I absolutely love mine and wouldn't have any other kind. They have a head strap that locks into the little holes on the side of the temple arms.

**One Note: The non prescription glasses have interchangeable lenses and come with two such as clear and smoke gray, however, once they are made for prescription they are no longer interchangeable as the lenses are glued in. It was not a deal breaker for me which is why I ordered the light adjusting lenses but now I want a pair with the dark lenses too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wiley-X makes some good eyepro, I've got a couple of their models. I prefer Oakley's though. Good eyepro is a must.

I know in Ohio you can go to a Sheriff's dept and get free cable locks. Depending on the brand of firearm you may or may not get a locking case, but aftermarket ones aren't too expensive.

Minimum requirements for me:
    a total of 3 mags for a semi-auto,
    cleaning gear,
    some way of storing/locking the weapon,
    plenty of ammo,
    decent holster (a good quality rig with a good holster/belt/mag carrier takes time and something is needed in the interim)

There are a lot of really bad thigh rigs out there, about the best ones I know of are Blackhawk Serpas. Thigh rigs aren't the best, but handy when you have to wear full combat gear.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i know oaklys will do prescription and i really love there styles, i was just wondering if a range might say "no, they arent "xyz" rated, you have to use ours" or something like that...

i know i can go to the PSP's HQ just up the road, sorry, Pa State Police, and get a free "safe in teh home cable lock" or something, but i dont wanna scratch up the barrel... i am kinda leaning towards Visualock 9mm for a lock...

i like it for the "bed side" sort of feature... you can leave a mag in there with live ammo, then all you do is unlock it, pull the slide, and your good to go... no fishing a cable out. maybe its just in my mind, but i like that system more than cables
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Administrator
    Pennsylvania

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.-- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

What part of this sub section do you not understand concerning vehicle carry without a lawfully issued licence?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links