Off Duty Open Carry

Off Duty Open Carry

This is a discussion on Off Duty Open Carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took some time this morning to go and see if I could find my dog a soup bone at the local grocery store. No ...

Thread: Off Duty Open Carry

me [OP]

Question Off Duty Open Carry

I took some time this morning to go and see if I could find my dog a soup bone at the local grocery store. No Luck but on my way out as I approached the front I noticed a female patron at the self check out with a Glock 17/22 on her Right hip open carried in a fobus holster.

Now I am in Texas, OC is illegal for civilians. but as I came up to pass her I noticed the Fobus Handcuff case on her Left Hip. and later when she left the store I noticed the SO badge on her belt in front of the gun and her getting into her POV (I have grown up in and around emergency services and this was not an unmarked vehicle).

What surprised me about this whole thing was her lack of situational awareness. She was obviously in condition white while open carrying and positioned her firearm in a way where she could have easily been disarmed and never even saw the attacker. she had her right hip turned to the rear of the store as she checked out and could have easily been forced to the check out machine and disarmed before she knew what hit, at an angle available to half of the store.

I understand it is her right as LEO to carry her firearm however she desires, but why open carry and why would you leave it out in the open, when other alternatives are available, and not pay attention to your surroundings?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Two things bug me. Situational awareness issues and why is she OCing in a level 1 holster? A Fobus no less. Or was that just the cuff case?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Two things bug me. Situational awareness issues and why is she OCing in a level 1 holster? A Fobus no less. Or was that just the cuff case?
    Both Fobus belt holster and Cuff Case

my bad first thought was I know how to break that holster off her belt, this is the reason my dad (in PA) carries in his fobus only while concealed and if OC is even thought of it is in his leather Side Guard SNAP
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    +1

Fobus holster? Whisky Tango Fox? On my U, a U police officer's apparent duty holster is one of those pieces of junk.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

me [OP]
    Sorry Off duty and street Clothing
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    +1

Fobus holster? Whisky Tango Fox? On my U, a U police officer's apparent duty holster is one of those pieces of junk.
    Around here the various departments (and we have lots of small departments) are all over the place -- ranging from on-duty pieces-of-junk up to providing triple retention, requiring its use for off-duty carry of the duty-weapon and requiring dbl, or better, for any off-duty OC of a personal weapon. We have had one LEO killed where a level 1 was a factor.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    She may have been off uniformed duty and doing some errands before going home. And doing it in a pathetic holster. I'd have told her a thing or two, for her safety.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Hopefully she is never seen off-duty/in plainclothes by someone with a grudge against her.

I sounds like her mindset and training aren't where they need to be because if they were, I doubt her situational-awareness and gear selection would suck as much as they do.

anyone who carries a Fobus needs a new holster. Anyone who carries a Fobus openly needs to be slapped.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links