Lasik and the Dominant Eye

This is a discussion on Lasik and the Dominant Eye within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope that I posted this in the right category. I am considering getting Lasik corrective surgery. I wear contacts 95% of the time, but ...

Thread: Lasik and the Dominant Eye

Lasik and the Dominant Eye

I hope that I posted this in the right category.

I am considering getting Lasik corrective surgery. I wear contacts 95% of the time, but I'm getting tired of waking up and putting them in and having them dry out during the day. Rewetting drops only go so far. I've been doing this for about 15 years and it is really starting to irritate my eyes.

Here is my concern, I am right handed and left eye dominant. Not a big deal, I've shot well for over 12 years. I shoot bullseye with only my left eye opened and I shoot combat with both eyes open. But if I get Lasik surgery is there any chance that it will change my dominant eye? I have astigmatism in my right eye which the Lasik should correct. So I wonder if my right eye will then become my dominant eye?

Has anyone had the surgery and had their dominant eye change?

Thanks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

One of my friends is right handed but shoots left because he is left eye dominant.

It took him some time to learn to shoot left handed but he does it and does it well now.

It doesn't really matter what eye is dominant, it is simple to change your shooting hand.

Lasik is still 'iffy'.. my boss had it and it made his eyes worse, one of my co-workers had it and now her eyes are fine..

Do your research on the doctor.. Personally I would love to get it, but it's the whole 'what if' thing that makes me not do it. I can live with wearing glasses, I won't do contacts I work in a dusty enviroment.

There are some new drops on the market for contact wearers but they have some freaky side effects too.

Listen to somebody who has been there. LASIK BEST THING EVER. Never knew about dominant eye grown up never had a problem shooting with my right eye. Yes I am right handed. Now come to learn that I am left eye dominant. Grew up wearing glasses my whole life,my vision was -7 1/2. Vision was bad. Lasik is/was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Check out the doctor of course. Life with out glasses is great. shooting,swimming, scuba, skydiving, everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I hope that I posted this in the right category.

I am considering getting Lasik corrective surgery. I wear contacts 95% of the time, but I'm getting tired of waking up and putting them in and having them dry out during the day. Rewetting drops only go so far. I've been doing this for about 15 years and it is really starting to irritate my eyes.

Here is my concern, I am right handed and left eye dominant. Not a big deal, I've shot well for over 12 years. I shoot bullseye with only my left eye opened and I shoot combat with both eyes open. But if I get Lasik surgery is there any chance that it will change my dominant eye? I have astigmatism in my right eye which the Lasik should correct. So I wonder if my right eye will then become my dominant eye?

Has anyone had the surgery and had their dominant eye change?

Thanks.

I am right handed and shoot left handed. Left eye open like you said. I had lasik done in 2002 and have not had any problems with change in eye dominance. Hope the lasik works out good for you. That was some of the best money I ever spent to have that done !!! I even came out of it with 20/18 vision !!!!

Good luck with it !!!

My wife worn thick glasses from age 6. She was just a hair short of legally blind without her glasses, and even with them, she missed out on a lot. She had the Lazik done on both eyes, with her final checkup on 9/11/01 at 9AM.

She is still thrilled with the results. She sometimes wears reading glasses (she's mid 50s), but only when her eyes are tired. Otherwise, she is fine! It cost us a major chunk of money, but it was worth it!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I actually was scheduled to have PRK surgery back in 1999 but chickened out. I want to do Lasik but I may end up doing PRK anyway. Lasik involves cutting open the lense in the eye to do the surgery with the laser. Being a police officer and a martial artist increases my chance of being hit in the eye. I've been told that there is a chance that being struck in the eye could reopen the lense

The disadvantage to PRK is that you have to do one eye, wait two weeks for it to heal then do the other eye. I'm just concerned because PRK probably isn't performed as much as Lasik. But on the upside it is cheaper.

I will do more research and pick a Dr. It shouldn't be a big deal if my dominant eye changes. I'll still shoot with my right hand and both eyes open.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    NY27- They've come a long way with PRK. Now they can do both eyes at once and it takes less than a minute. Here's a little article about it...

PRK Laser Eye Surgery - How PRK Works; What to Expect From PRK - AllAboutVision.com

I work installing trailer hitches and get dirt and grim and metal and rust often (more than I like or care to admit) and never had a problem with the flap that was cut. It is wild the second that the flap is flip back over vision is clear as day. Ta-Da!!! I walked out of the Dr. office seeing 20/15. I did see some halo around street lamps for a few nights but nothing to sweat about.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    The disadvantage to PRK is that you have to do one eye, wait two weeks for it to heal then do the other eye. I'm just concerned because PRK probably isn't performed as much as Lasik. But on the upside it is cheaper.
    Doctors push Lasik because it costs more. Because there's less for the Dr to do with PRK, there's less to go wrong. No flap to deal with.

I had PRK done on both eyes at once in 2000. 20/20 ever since. No change in dominant eye. I was fortunate that, in the years after the surgery, my eyes went into monocular mode on their own. Translation: one eye stayed far sighted but lost near in vision (it happens with age), the other eye kept near in vision. Thus I can read AND drive without glasses, while closing in on 50.

I had PRK (recommend by the Marines) and my eyes are fine. I do not believe you will change dominance from these types of superficial surgeries. I think it's more of a brain thing.

I also had PRK about a year ago now. I chose it because I'm a Marine and didn't want to deal with flaps flopping around at the wrong moment. My left eye has always been 20/20 and my right was about 20/200 before the surgery.

Now my right eye is about 20/15 with just a slight amount of haze. Its easy to get haze after PRK if you don't use the rewetting drops enough (I didn't) and you absolutely need to wear UV protective glasses whenever you are in the sun for the first two years. I've been good about that at least.

I was always right eye dominant but due to the poor vision in that eye growing up I learned to shoot rifles left handed so I'd be using my good eye. Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to see the front sight, much less the target. Pistols I have always shot right handed though. Now that my dominant eye can see I am considering changing over to shooting rifles right handed, although after 20-something years of practice I'm pretty comfortable shooting left handed so I may just stick with that. Either way I will practice more right handed just because I can now.

I say go for it. PRK is not so bad - sure it hurts a little for the first few days but after that no big deal. Its kind of like getting OC sprayed, but only in the eyes, and only if you don't keep them wet enough.....so use the drops!

Austin

Wow. Thanks to everyone for the positive replies. I am definately going to get this ball rolling on Monday morning.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

tag

Links