Thinking back to the good, ol', dumb days...

This is a discussion on Thinking back to the good, ol', dumb days... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had a really busy day at the gun store today. I was waddling from customer to customer showing Sigs, 1911s, Glocks, XDs, Walther PPKs, ...

Thread: Thinking back to the good, ol', dumb days...

Senior Moderator

Thinking back to the good, ol', dumb days...

We had a really busy day at the gun store today. I was waddling from customer to customer showing Sigs, 1911s, Glocks, XDs, Walther PPKs, finding ammo, explaining ammo, demonstrating disassemblies and reassemblies, talking about triggers, explaining the difference between DA/SA, DAO, SAO, and striker-fired, going over brief gun histories and ideals behind certain designs.

But it wasn't until I was called in to show, not only the customer but the clerk working with me, how to disassemble and reassemble a Kimber that I finally got to appreciate just how much I've learned and how far I've come in the last, oh, two years.

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I was asking JD why he kept calling so many different guns 1911s and why those numbers were important (yeah, you should have seen the look on his face).

I remember trying to reassemble my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry for the first time. I COULD NOT get that stupid slide stop into the take-down notch to save my life and it was a good thing we bought it used with a good "stupid scratch" on the slide already because I just made it deeper the first couple of times.

I didn't know a Glock from a Sig and I certainly couldn't distinguish between a 21 and a 19 or a 23 and a 36.

I didn't know a majority of gun manufacturers even existed. If you had told me you had bought a Stoeger I would have assumed you just picked up a new exotic pet. A Benelli sounded like a cool car and when my husband said I should get a Kimber I said, "What do they make?"

I thought Ruger and Luger were synonymous.

I constantly confused double-action and single-action.

I was AMAZED to find you could put .38 spls into a revolver chambered for .357 Magnum, and I would have been the idiot who tried to stuff those magnums into a .357 Sig. Aren't all .357s created equal?

I have by no means arrived anywhere. I still know much less about rifles and shotguns than I'd like and some calibers really confuse the living fire out of me; especially when you get to talking about muzzle energy, velocity, grain weight and all that jazz.

I still don't know the inner workings of a LOT of handguns and what actually happens when you press the trigger to result in the firing of said handgun, not to mention how their safeties, decockers and internal locking systems work.

And then there's all the new stuff pouring out every day, it seems.

But I find myself being pulled in to counsel about this gun or that one, giving advice on a personal, rather than hear-say, level and generally being happy to have a working blanket knowledge of how things work when it comes to firearms.

And I owe it all to the people who were, and still are, willing to graciously answer all of my questions and show me what I don't even know I don't know.

My old manager used to say he loved working with me because I wanted to know how EVERYTHING worked and I was never done learning something new. He knew that if he came around the corner and said, "Hey, do you want to learn something?" I'd respond with an enthusiastic, "YEAH!" and follow after him to learn how to break down a Ruger MK I or learn the difference between smooth bore and rifled shotguns and what ammo they can and can't take and so on.

By the time I was on my fourth run through explaining the technique on just how to get that slide stop into the take down notch of an Ultra CDP II I wanted to find anyone who'd every patiently taught me and give them a hug. I wouldn't be standing there passing on my knowledge without them.

We all start somewhere, and sometimes it takes a few of us some trial and error before we understand, but it's the people who can patiently repeat steps 1 through 6 for the fourteenth time that really stand out and move us all forward.

2. Remove Ads

It's through knowledge that ignorance is fixed,you can't fix stupid,but if an ignorant person is willing to learn you would be amazed at what can happen,even tho I reload I am no expert nor pretend to be and as long as I remain teachable then I will make fewer mistakes and through that learning pass on what I have learned or was taught,this encompasses all phases of our lives,"LUMP" is not going to pop out with a signed FBL "Federal BABY License" and use and care instructions,safe handling rules or defective return policy.We learn why it's not a good idea to drop babys or forget babys,Last thing JD wants to hear when he gets home is wow nice gun but wheres LUMP.I'm 50 yrs old and I have learned everything I know from being taught by somebody else either reading it in a book or being shown and explained.I fired my first handgun at 18 in the USAF Security Police career fiels in 1976 since that time I have learned a lot but back in those days the 38 spcl.was the round most PD's issued to LEO's,what difference 3 decades and a lot of research makes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There is no smarter person in the world than one that knows when they don't know. They are easy to work with and you sound like you are easy to work with.

imho
    tk

Wisdom is knowing that you know nothing - Bill quoting So-Crates.

The cure for ignorance is on the far side of learning. Learning can only come from gaining experience. The path to wisdom involves learning from that experience. Rinse/repeat. It's a vicious circle.

Now, about the inner workings. I'm still at a loss. I can figure out computer systems, and I have no troubles with crafting software to get done what needs doing, but darned if I can follow what certain springs and levers and pins are supposed to get done in the average firearm. Go figure. If you find the answers, let me know, will ya?!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow!

It's a journey. None of us will ever "arrive", we will just continue to learn in this dynamic field.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

We have come a long way! (Maybe too far?)
    Texas CHL Holder, Member NRA & TxCDL
    GLOCK 19 9mm & GLOCK 26 9mm - 3rd Gen Both
    RUGER LCP .380
    Taurus SS Judge .45/.410 & Taurus PT22 .22LR

As Harry Truman said (about college students), "It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."'

What a long, strange trip it's been . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator

Thumbs up

There certainly is a lot to learn especially concerning the inner workings of various firearms.
    Years ago I used to buy them mostly just to take them apart and hopefully be able to reassemble them afterward.

J. Moses Browning was an incredible genius. The man was amazing.
    I guess that's one solid reason why I still love 1911s so much.

Good thread Lima.
    You certainly have gone from pupil to teacher in a very short while. You seem to soak it all up like sponge. The curiosity and the THIRST for knowledge.
    That is a true indicator of an intelligent person.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Limatunes
    I have by no means arrived anywhere. I still know much less about rifles and shotguns than I'd like and some calibers really confuse the living fire out of me; especially when you get to talking about muzzle energy, velocity, grain weight and all that jazz.
    You may want to pick up a Hornady reloading manual. Even if you don't reload, it contains extensive information on just about all rifle & handgun cartridges. From it, you can learn about different calibers, velocities & energies as well as the history of them.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I am smart enough to know wthat I aint that smart! Good read Mel..you go girl!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I constantly confused double-action and single-action.

Oh wait, I still do that!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links