Eco-friendly ranges?

Eco-friendly ranges?

This is a discussion on Eco-friendly ranges? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new range nearby is apparently "eco-friendly." You're only allowed to fire a certain kind of ammo(which is way more expensive than Wally World's) except ...

Thread: Eco-friendly ranges?

Eco-friendly ranges?

A new range nearby is apparently "eco-friendly." You're only allowed to fire a certain kind of ammo(which is way more expensive than Wally World's) except for .22 caliber.
    Has anyone else heard of this? Is this now another "regulation," in order to have a new shooting range?
    Mods LMK if this should be in another forum.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Not really a concealed carry issue, so I moved this to General firearms.

If it is a regulation it would be local. It may just have been something the owner did to get it through zoning? Maybe the owner is just trying to make a mint by selling ammo? A lot of questions and speculation really. I would say call or go talk with the owner to find out why they are "eco-friendly".
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

It is about lead.

1943 - 2009
    It sounds like this is simply a decision by the range owner, or as Scott mentioned, the owner might have to comply with a local ordinance.

IIRC, Clint Smith only allows lead free ammo at Thunder Ranch.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I hope he don't go eco-bankrupt,I only shoot lead,almost all bullets have a lead core,lead comes from the ground and is mined,i'm just returning it at around 850 to 1400 FPS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some of it may be due to OSHA. OSHA wold pay attention to the airborne "junk" (lead especially) in order to protect the long term exposure of the range employees.

In situations like that, there are a few approaches. One is to get a better ventilaion system, so the junk is exhausted/filtered downrange. Or, my favorite, is to fire a bunch of employees. If you have below 10 employees, OSHA rules do not apply :-)

Wow, this is an eye opener..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

VIP Member
    My local indoor range requires jacketed rounds only (except .22) claiming health requirements. That could be it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A local range around here (federal property) runs green pistol (but not rifle ) ranges. The lead-free ammo is expensive, and most of it tends to be less accurate because the lead-free primers don't burn as nicely as the usual stuff. Oh, and there's apparently some research (no links, sorry) to suggest that the chemicals in the "green" ammo are quicker to leech into groundwater than is lead. Figures, right?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

lead comes from the ground and is mined,i'm just returning it at around 850 to 1400 FPS
    thats a good way to think of it, your doing your part to make earth what ir used to be, really fast...

i think it might just be jumping on the "eco-friendly" bandwagon... first it was the big SUV's now everyone wants eco-friendly...

just my 2 cents
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I agree. The whole world is on the "eco-friendly" bandwagon right now. They are all buying their "hybrid SUVs" that cost $5000 more out the door and net you 3mpg more....I think it's all a big joke..
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    A new range nearby is apparently "eco-friendly." You're only allowed to fire a certain kind of ammo(which is way more expensive than Wally World's) except for .22 caliber.
    Has anyone else heard of this? Is this now another "regulation," in order to have a new shooting range?
    Mods LMK if this should be in another forum.
    Do you have to purchase this very special ammunition from the range? It could be a pretense for them to sell ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    I agree. The whole world is on the "eco-friendly" bandwagon right now. They are all buying their "hybrid SUVs" that cost $5000 more out the door and net you 3mpg more....I think it's all a big joke..
    If I knew of a local range that claimed to be "green" or "eco-friendly", I would go out of my way to avoid patronizing it. All this hype about enviornmentalism these days is just a bunch of nonsense.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

At least one local range here is allowing only jacketed ammunition (jacketed hollow points are ok). They say, that exposed lead bullets will cause lead deposits in the firing stall area. Having it removed is expensive. It is cheaper for them if all they have to remove is the lead in the bullet trap.

They do allow you to bring your own ammunition (had no issues with Wally World bullets so far).

Lead has become a big issue. I am not sure how justified it is for open air ranges. But as you deposit it into the ground, it may pass through drinking water. For outdoor ranges, I assume the ground pollution is the main issue, while for indoor ranges its the air quality in the range (you don't want to breath too much lead).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Sponsored Links