They shot me - TWICE!!

This is a discussion on They shot me - TWICE!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got shot twice today. Well, not really. What really happened was that I got hit by a fragment a couple of times. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They shot me - TWICE!!

They shot me - TWICE!!

I got shot twice today. Well, not really. What really happened was that I got hit by a fragment a couple of times.

I was at a steel challenge match checking it out to see if I may want to play some day. I was standing and talking to some people at the range registration desk and there was a ricochet whine, a "wap" where something hit the dirt, and then a sting on the back of my left hand. No injury and I immediately knew what happened.

The second time was when I was sitting at a table at one of the stages watching some very fast shooters. The stage behind me on the other side of the berm was active and I was hit by a fragment in the back of the head. Not very big, a piece of lead about the size of a dried pea half. Again, no injury as the lead wasn't jagged or sharp.

It was kinda funny actually. It didn't matter what stage I was at or whether I was at the registration table or elsewhere on the range, whenever I showed up the fragments started hitting around us. Must be my pure animal magnetism or something.

I had fun. Even if they were trying to kill me.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the reminder about the usefulness of safety glasses when anywhere near the shooting area. Have been struck by frags off the speed steel, as well as indoors. It's never fun, but I can't imagine how un-fun it would be to get struck on the eyeball.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I was standing beside a guy that took a hit directly in the lense of his safety glasses. It hit it hard enough that it scratched the plastic and basically ruined it. He was a bit upset about that until I reminded him that his safety glasses were a lot cheaper than trying to fix an eyeball.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

WoooHooo! More sensational titles that have nothing to do with the posts...

Glad you enjoyed the match, but getting a little splash is nothing like being shot.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Remind me not to stand next to you.

Are you the collary to Murphy's Law of Combat? Don't share a foxhole with someone braver than yourself...and Friendly fire isn't?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Somebody didn't tape a bullseye on your back joking around did they LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Happens and you never really know in advance what a bullet will do.

+1 on the safety glasses! I would think that a pair would be a GREAT investment for you especially. I recently had eye problems, and I can tell you first hand that a corneal ulceration is NOT fun....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I had shot steel on several occasions and never had a problem. However when I went to instructor school we shot on steel and it was murderous. Everyone was hit with fragmentation on almost every volley. We had to stop several times for first aid. One guy I think had to have stitches later. I'm not sure, but it opened up a pretty good cut on his nose. One round that hit me in the gut nearly doubled me over. Safety glasses were a must, I took several shots to the face. Mostly minor injury. But it sure made you think.

Talk about good training. I'd be up there firing anticipating taking rounds! It doesn't get much more real that that, and I can tell you that it does make it harder to concentrate on shooting. I enjoyed it, not because I wanted to, but because I had to be there and decided to make the most of it. They made us put up with it for the first week, then on the second week they allowed us to step back a few yards so that we only caught one occasionally. I don't recommend the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    I had shot steel on several occasions and never had a problem. However when I went to instructor school we shot on steel and it was murderous. Everyone was hit with fragmentation on almost every volley. We had to stop several times for first aid. One guy I think had to have stitches later. I'm not sure, but it opened up a pretty good cut on his nose. One round that hit me in the gut nearly doubled me over. Safety glasses were a must, I took several shots to the face. Mostly minor injury. But it sure made you think.

Talk about good training. I'd be up there firing anticipating taking rounds! It doesn't get much more real that that, and I can tell you that it does make it harder to concentrate on shooting. I enjoyed it, not because I wanted to, but because I had to be there and decided to make the most of it. They made us put up with it for the first week, then on the second week they allowed us to step back a few yards so that we only caught one occasionally. I don't recommend the experience.
    I have to say what is safe about knowingly shooting steel targets where you are getting hit by so many ricochets you gotta stop for medical treatment,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    Not all steel is created equal.

I've had steel plates for something over 15 years. Shoot em pretty regularly at 5-7 feet as well as further out. Catch a ricochet occasionally, have gotten cut occasionally but not very often compared to the tens of thousands of rds thrown downrange on them.

The plates are angled down from the top and turned just slightly so the bullets impact and head down and away from the shooter.

If you are getting whacked with lead and copper fragments regularly, the plates haven't been designed with enough forethought.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

The type of bullet used is a big factor. That's the reason we don't allow JHP ammo at the Rogers Shooting School. Our course is shot on all steel targets. The instructors can tell within one magazine when a student is using JHP ammo because of all the splashback it creates.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

VIP Member
    Reminds me to ALWAYS keep my safety glasses on!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

On the idea that JHP's 'splash' more... I wouldn't have thought this to be true, at least it doesn't seem obvious to me, but from experience, I know it is.

I was shooting HP .44 mags at some steel a while back (armored, rated for .308) and got more splash than I have ever seen with hard cast, soft point, or jacketed ball. The offending loads were Remington 210g JHP's over 232, loaded fairly mild. I use same load with soft point and FMJ bullets, with no problem at all.

Needless to say, I switched ammo.

I can't imagine just going right ahead and shooting something that you know is causing an inordinate amount of back splash. Why take the chance of injuring someone? You never know when someone's going to remove their eyewear to wipe away the sweat, or something equally innocent.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links