How long to leave rounds in a mag?

This is a discussion on How long to leave rounds in a mag? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by QKShooter The precious time and effort that you save by just dropping those cartridges in revolver cylinder holes....you lose by having to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long to leave rounds in a mag?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The precious time and effort that you save by just dropping those cartridges in revolver cylinder holes....you lose by having to scrub those holes out later on with a bronze brush after you shoot it.
    Yes but you can buy a Quick chamber brush with 6 on one handle so you can do all the chambers at one not sure if they make um for 7 shot or 8 shot wheelies though

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Haven't seen any problems with my AR mags. leave em loaded all the time too. And I bought em all used.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I recall LTC. Santose telling us on the AR15 eList back ~2000 or so that he found some AR15 mags that he had left loaded since his days in 'Nam. Some 30+ years later they all fired fine without a hitch.

Leave them loaded and ready to go.

I do wonder sometimes re some other mags - for instance I have six or so AK mags always full - four FAL mags full, and probably six L1A1 mags left full.
    Never had a problem with AK mags - shot some that were loaded 10+ years in the trunk of a friend's car, and done some FAL mags done up since time immemorial (the owner sold a real factory FN and gave us some loaded mags with it).

I load mags and don't stress it.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

The only problems I have had with magazines were feed lips spreading or bending in if dropped, or the sides dragging on spring and jamming it.

VIP Member
    Should large capacity magazines be downloaded by a couple of rounds (30 round mags only loaded with 28, etc.,) to improve functional dependability?
    I just purchased some 30 round AR magazines from Brownells, and the only break-in advice they gave was to load new magazines completely and let set for 24 hours to give the springs a "set".
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In 1999 I had a friend come to me with an old Mil. .45ACP and 3 loaded mags. These he found in the basement of his fathers house after his dad had passed. They were in an old footlocker with his dads military uniforms and war medals.(one of which was a Silver Star)His father was a WWII vet. My friend wanted me to dispose of the ammo in the mags. I told him that he should shoot the gun that his father had carried during the war outta respect for his dad. He agreed,and I disassembled the .45 to check for safety. It was in great shape for one of that era guns so I decided NOT to lube it. We went to the sand pit and my friend fired two mags and he let me fire the last mag. The weapon,mags,and ammo,worked perfectly. These mags were loaded for almost 50 years.----------

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    NO reason to download mags. According to LTC. Santose, that was done with AR15 mags (before the stripper clips) because soldiers were mis-counting and stuffing 21/31 in the mags, causing jams/feed problems.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The weapon,mags,and ammo,worked perfectly. These mags were loaded for almost 50 years.----------
    That should answer Justin's original question!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links