How long to leave rounds in a mag?

This is a discussion on How long to leave rounds in a mag? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm kind of worried about leaving all 3 of my mags full. I've been emptying 2 of them and rotatting the full one every week. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to leave rounds in a mag?

How long to leave rounds in a mag?

I'm kind of worried about leaving all 3 of my mags full. I've been emptying 2 of them and rotatting the full one every week. How long could I have all 3 full? Theres been so many murders around here lately, it's insane. So I'd rather be safe than sorry and have all 45 rds ready to go.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I swap mine out every couple of months if I don't get to the range.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Think about this, how long did the .45 mags stay loaded during WWI & WWII & Korea & Vietnam? They proboly used some of the same surplus from WWI in WWII and same for Korea and Vietnam.

I leave them in for how ever lomg it takes me to shoot them up

Lead Moderator
    from all I have read , don't load/unload em any more than needed. The springs wear out from compressing/expanding. I used to rotate my mags like you. Now I just leave em loaded until I fire em off. I have a few mags that have been loaded since about 96' except when firing and no problems found with em.

Also if your really worried about get get wolf+10% springs the Usp stock springs suck and do seem to go weak fast i have had to repalce mine all ready and other over at Hkpro complane of the same

Lead Moderator
    never had a problem with my HK springs. And my HK is the oldest auto I own. Got it in 92'.

Administrator

Post High Quality Modern Pistol Magazines

You can leave your pistol magazines fully loaded indefinitely with no damage to the magazine spring...since even with the magazine fully charged (with its correct number of rounds) the steel magazine spring is designed to still be compressed to less than the "critical fatigue point" of the spring steel.
    Your magazine springs do not need to "rest"
    This information is according to Wolff Gun Springs.
    Some older military mags and some factory mags have springs that are not properly hardened & tempered & they can weaken due to inferior manufacture. Make sure you buy High Quality mags or replace the mag springs with Wolff or other properly made springs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    never had a problem with my HK springs. And my HK is the oldest auto I own. Got it in 92'.
    Sorry i should edit that to say the newer Hk's in 45 only have had this problem when i started haveing terrible problems with it not picking rounds up off the mags as in not even stipping them from mags i started looking and found out ...

I think its what wolfe says the problem is improperly heat treated i replaced all mag springs in my mags no problems since and it was fairly new when this happened you could easyly compress the mag spring all the way and it was way short

I'm with QK. I've learned that you either leave the magazine full or completely empty. I tend to fill them up because it does soften them up a little bit sometimes so they're not so darn tight. Then again I HATE stuffing cartridges into magazines and always will. I cheat and use a speedloader. I have to admit since switching to .40 S&W my hand fatigue from loading magazines is less; the rounds are slightly bigger and there's less of them!

I wish they made more non 1911 pattern single stack .45s just for the big cartridges in an easier to load magazine for my sausage fingers... but back onto springs - either fully loaded or completely unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Ditto My 10 round was loaded for 4 years, now I use the 12 round, but only keep 10 in it unless I'm going someplace high risk. Yes I know why buy a 12 and load 10 unless going someplace high risk the risk may come to you, but if 10 P+ rounds isn't enough to discourage a BG and his partiner then I'm in deep dodo, and really need the shotgun with the 7 round tube.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    I guess mine stay full for carry use - until day comes to shoot off the carry ammo and reload - I will tho then usually choose a fresh mag that has had less use for a while. Really doubt it matters.

I do wonder sometimes re some other mags - for instance I have six or so AK mags always full - four FAL mags full, and probably six L1A1 mags left full.

In fact most semi handguns in safe have full mags too!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I wish they made more non 1911 pattern single stack .45s
    Thats enough of that kinda talk Any more and I'll have to take action:1schmudde

Of course Bruces45...

... when it comes to stress free loading, nothing beats a revolver... yessir just drop em right in...

Administrator

Revolver

The precious time and effort that you save by just dropping those cartridges in revolver cylinder holes....you lose by having to scrub those holes out later on with a bronze brush after you shoot it.

Talking Ahhh but you see QK...

I'd do that anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links