Best 22 Target Pistol??? - Page 2

Best 22 Target Pistol???

This is a discussion on Best 22 Target Pistol??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fatboy97, might I suggest going over to RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms You might be able to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fatboy97, might I suggest going over to RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms

You might be able to pick their brains over there too.

Good luck and FWIW I have a Browning Buckmark that has been problem free.

I also have the 22/45 Mark III. It has been flawless and shoots very well. Once you take the gun apart a couple of times you've got it down and reassembly is no problem.

mark III. I love it. my favorite pistol to shoot.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

There are so many versions of the Ruger MKIII, including MKIII, MKIII 22/45, MKIII Hunter, MKIII Bull Barrel, and even more... this is starting to make me dizzy... a number of you say they recommend the MKIII, but which one?
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I am in a pistol league, and shoot a Ruger Mark II, with a red-dot sight (see attachment). It's extrememly accurate, and loads of fun to shoot!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lved-ruger.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

S&W 422. Cheep and great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    There are so many versions of the Ruger MKIII, including MKIII, MKIII 22/45, MKIII Hunter, MKIII Bull Barrel, and even more... this is starting to make me dizzy... a number of you say they recommend the MKIII, but which one?
    For me it is the MKIII 22/45. My reasoning was to have a high volume, low $$, practice gun with grips as close to a .45 as possible. I got the 4" bull barrel so I would have a gun close to the length of my .45.

I could have gotten a conversion kit to keep my .45 for purposes of the feeling of the same grips but decided on a separate gun in the end.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Edited: Smith&Wesson model 617. My father owns one and I absolutely LOVE shooting the thing.

Administrator
    I really like Ruger .22's. The Buckmark is also a good one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a MKIII hunter 22/45 with a 6 7/8 barrel. Very accurate and reliable. I usually only shoot the federal bulk pack from walmart. Hard to beat 12 dollars for 550 rnds. I almost put a tactical solutions barrel on it but I couldnt justify the extra 200 dollars. I do kind of hate taking it apart to clean but I only do it once in awhile and it isnt that bad once you know what you are doing. I also have a walther p22 that I love. I had heard horror stories about them before I got it but I bought it anyways hoping that it would be ok. Not a gun I would trust my life to by any means but it is reasonlably reliable for what it is. I love shooting it though and the occasional FTF or FTE doesnt bother me. I use it to practice drawing and shooting in between shooting a centerfire. I probably have 5000 rnds or more through it.
    Either one I would bet you would enjoy although I would have to say the ruger is way more reliable and accurate. Either way, get a bunch of mags or it gets frustrating reloading the two they come with every other minute. I have 6 mags for each but wish I had 20.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

What will it be used for?

Hello,

I've been shooting for years... mostly .45ACP, .38special, .357mag, 9mm, and .40S&W, as you can see by my current and past collection below. Believe it or not, I have never owned or shoot a 22. I've done a couple of different searches and found some comments on Ruger MKII and MKIII, as well as the Walther P22. I'd like to hear anything on these pistols, as well as others.

Can anyone give me suggestions on a good and reliable 22 pistol?
    I never used those listed above, only an older S&W 41 semi auto owned by my former shooting club and a few others like High Standard... I have never been impressed with the new semi autos that Walther, S&W etc have been coming out with, they look more like toys with all that plastic etc rather than guns IMHO. Since some weeks ago I was looking for a pistol that can shoot vertually all rimfire rounds (CBs, powerless, 22WMR) I would go with either a S&W 617, OR a Ruger Single Six... the Smith runs about $600-$700 new but does not come with 22WMR cylinders but they make them for the 17HMR and 22WMR seperatly and in performance center set ups. The Ruger SS goes from $350-650 depending on the finish options for scope rails in stainless steel (Hunter version).

So far I have put at lest 700 rounds through my Ruger Single Six hunter and I have been getting an average of 1" groups at 25yards with stock open sights using a table to rest my forearms... smallest groups were about 1/2 that and I believe the CCI standard velocity brand along with Federal champion is pretty good, I really have to get a scope and shoot more brands to see the REAL accuracy potential because I wish to shoot this gun in rimfire pistol silhouette and I see it has a lot of potential.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Far and away the M41 is the most accurate, sweetest .22 pistol that I own. But if I were in your place, I'd consider getting a .22 conversion for one of my serious pistols. That way, you have the same "feel" and a cheaper means of practicing with your social gun. If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest one of the various Rugers or the Browning Buckmark.

To be fair, I have no experience with the newer offerings from S&W, Wather, Beretta, etc. So I can't comment on them.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The best I've ever shot is the Colt Woodsman Match Target. As far as I'm concerned all others are judged by it.
    The S&W 41 is a very good target gun, solid, well made.
    The 622 is pretty good, but too light. Agrivating to take down.
    The Rugers are good guns, very accurate. I personally dislike the grip, but that's just me. The gun is solid, take down is funky.
    The Walther P22 simply isn't a target gun, nor is the Mosquito, period.
    The Browning Buckmarks come closest to my standard, (the CWMT), of any other gun I've used. Balance, weight, good sights, great trigger and excellent accuracy, all in a very affordable package, available in many configurations.
    IMHO the Buckmark is the pick of the litter.

I shot the standard MKIII and the 22/45 before I bought the 22/45. Mechanically they were identical as far as I could tell, I just liked the feel of the 22/45 better because of the angle. You should see if your local range has any and rent a couple.

I wasn't looking for anything fancy, I just wanted something that would shoot the $12 Walmart bricks of ammo and not give me any problems. I went to a gun show the day after I tried them out at the range and was out the door with a NIB 22/45 for under $250 (including background check and sales tax).

Try the Kimber Rimfire Kimber - Continuing The Legacy
    or the Sig Sauer Mosquito Show Product Details

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links