Matching Scope to Rifle

Matching Scope to Rifle

This is a discussion on Matching Scope to Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a used Savage .308 locally. I am going back in this Saturday to Bass Pro Shops for a class on mounting a ...

Thread: Matching Scope to Rifle

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Matching Scope to Rifle

I just bought a used Savage .308 locally. I am going back in this Saturday to Bass Pro Shops for a class on mounting a scope to a rifle & sighting it in. I think the Savage is either an 11G or 111G (not sure because the tag at BPS said 111G but Savage only offers the 11G in .308 today).

Will almost any scope fit this rifle? Or are there certain scopes that fit the rifle? And do I need to buy additional mounting hardware or does that all come with the scope?

Lead Moderator
    Depending on the scope rings(mounting hardware) not all scopes will fit. You need to figure out which height rings are needed for the scope you chose. Also if you want & have irons you may want see thru rings. The rings are typically bought separate.
    Personally I don't care for high , see thru rings because it raises the scope too much. If you go to a gun shop you should be able to find someone knowledgeable about how to get you set up right.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Basics: A 40-42mm objective is plenty, the 50mm monsters don't give any real gain, unless you step up in glass quality and tube diameter- then you're generally in the $2K+ range, so...

Generally, you can get a 40mm on medium-light contour barrels with short rings, though mediums are a sure thing. Lower is better, as you won't take up mechanical adjustment getting zeroed. I'm partial to Burris' Signature scopes- US made, lifetime warranty, and excellent glass. You can call the maker of the scope you decide you like, and give them the make of your rifle, and they should be able to tell you which rings will work. FYI- Burris makes the PosiLign rings, which make mountin and zeroing a breeze. You don't have to lap the rings.

Edit to add; you need rings and bases. You rifle may come with them, but I'm not overly fond of anyone's factory mounts.

VIP Member
    Get a good 3x9x40. Have the retailer supply you with the correct rings and bases. Most gun stores will install and bore sight a scope for free if you buy it from them.

A GREAT budget priced scope is the Nikon pro staff 3x9x40. Flip up scope covers are a must for hunting.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

After doing some more research, I found out that I have a bit of a relic. As best I can tell, the Savage rifle I own was manufactured more than a decade ago. Guess that's why it was so cheap!

I should still get many good times out of it and will try to find a scope this weekend at BPS.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    A GREAT budget priced scope is the Nikon pro staff 3x9x40. Flip up scope covers are a must for hunting.
    Hey fellas, I have more or less decided to go with the Nikon ProStaff (as suggested by many) and will pick it up this weekend. My choice is between the BDC-equipped model or the non-BDC model. As best I can tell, the BDC technology is most useful over long distances. I don't expect to be taking 600-yard shots.

Any thoughts on the BDC technology? Worth it?

VIP Member
    Under 300 yds it's a waste of money. Past 300 I'd get it. Depends on the use. :)
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am assuming that even without the BDC, a 301+ yard shot is still possible & even responsible, it's just that the BDC can help increase accuracy?

VIP Member
    "The new Nikon BDC (Bullet Drop Compensating) is actually a trajectory-compensating reticle designed and calibrated to provide fast, simple aiming points for various shot distances. This unique system integrates a series of small "ballistic circles"-each subtending 2" @ 100 yards-allowing unimpeded lines of sight to even small targets."

Less than 250 yard shots are "fairly" easy. If you have not practiced it, a 300 yard shot (or more) is TOUGH. It gets much worse as you get farther out. As a rule, I won't take a shot at game past 300. As a rule not as a law etched in stone.
    Attached Images

Great- thanks Timmy! I'll stick w/the non-BDC scope.

I helps to know your cartridge ballistics especially with a scope, and understanding your scope's elevation adjustments. I have some with 1/8" and some with 1/4" @ 100yds adjustments. Sighting in the rifle/scope combo should be done accordingly. If you sight in at 100yds, you may want to zero your scope 4" high or so to be dead on at 200yds, and still within a 9" kill zone at 300yds if you aim slightly high with the .308. Nothing wrong with a ten+ year old rifle unless replacement parts can't be found. I have a Savage 110FP in .308 that must be every bit of ten years old or better, heck--I've had it for six years at least. I do like mil-dot scopes and have a couple of those also. It takes a different understanding than just the click adjustments, but ranging is quick and you don't have to mess with making elevation adjustments. Here's a real good site for you on that: ShooterReady

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    After doing some more research, I found out that I have a bit of a relic. As best I can tell, the Savage rifle I own was manufactured more than a decade ago. Guess that's why it was so cheap!

I should still get many good times out of it and will try to find a scope this weekend at BPS.
    Older guns are not necessarily bad guns and a decade old gun is not "old" by any stretch of the imagination. Whenever I buy a used gun I always try to see if there is some obvious reason somebody sold it. Of course, a lot of people buy and sell guns at the drop of a hat and often put less than a box of ammo thru them. If they've been kept well cleaned they are not a problem.

Sponsored Links