Glock Differences (Newbie)

This is a discussion on Glock Differences (Newbie) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about this as my first CCW and it seems there's three different versions. Welcome to WhatsYour.Name! Welcome to WhatsYour.Name! Welcome to WhatsYour.Name! Aside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm thinking about this as my first CCW and it seems there's three different versions.

Welcome to WhatsYour.Name!

Aside from round capacity I can't really tell that any would be different in real world action.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

I'm no glock expert but heres a shot at it.

The one with 10 round mags is designed to be sold in states that restrict mag capacity to 10 rounds in semi-auto handguns.

Next one is a normal model 23

Last one is a model 23 with night sights as opposed to the normal Glock sights.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

And what's special about night sights? How much inferior are they vs one of those laser tie-on red beams?
    And thanks for the quick response!

EDIT: Limits on magazine sizes in states = bad. :(
    I can't imagine how 3 rounds would make a big difference to a BG.

Well, 3 rounds could make a difference, since Utah doesn't have any restictions I know of, I'd go with the bigger mags (technically same size with a higher capacity).

Anyways, night sights do have their advantages, the usually use tritium which makes the sights more visible to you at night time, as opposed to normal black sights which can be difficult to get a good sight picture on.

I don't like lasers on my pistols, I have to have one on my work rifle but its only really useful with NVG's.

I'd save the money you would use on a laser and get a good carry rig and more ammo. The night sights could be worth the extra cash though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    And what's special about night sights? How much inferior are they vs one of those laser tie-on red beams?
    Given your statement, I would suggest that you get the basic, stock Glock, and put a bunch of rounds downrange before deciding on laser or night sights. Both have a place; I don't use either, save on one pistol.

My advice as well--especially if it will become your carry pistol---get the stock hi-cap. I can get them all day here for $459+tax. My latest G19 is still sporting the factory plastic sights and it's my EDC. I have night sights on the rest of my Glocks and right now don't see the need to spend 80-100 bucks on NS for it. I have a Glock for every purpose. The G17 or G22 are the winter OWB carry choices and night-time house pistols with or without the M-6 Illuminator/laser attached. The G27 was EDC before my G19 and still gets some windshield time, and it's deep concealment. Both the G19 or G27 ride in a DeSantis Scorpion IWB.

If you are using this for the range only you don't need the night sights. The night sights are good for conceal and carry.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    1. 10 round mag for Commie states
    2. Plain sights - white outline, don't glow in the dark
    3. Night sights - glow in the dark

Here's what night sights look in the dark. (I borrowed this pic from someone else on another board, not my pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Superman
    I can't imagine how 3 rounds would make a big difference to a BG.
    Why do people always seem to assume they are only going to face a single lone bad guy? The odds are that you may in fact face 2, 3 or even more bad guys. Having extra rounds is never a hindrance. Wolves usually travel in packs.

I have NEVER EVER heard anyone who survived a gunfight state that they had too many rounds in their gun. However there are literally a countless number of dead people who were found holding an empty gun.

Learn to be a little more imaginative! It may save your life!

As far as night sights go... I won't have a defensive firearm without them if they are available.

They are not the same as a laser which is an external attachment item (excluding the laser max) that is battery operated, can fail to work and also projects a beam of visible light when can lead a trail directly back to you. Lasers do have their place, but are more of a specialty item with some limitations.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

LOL! Thanks for the responses AND the pics. You guys misunderstood my BG comment and that's my fault.

I automatically see a law like the 10 rounds law being created to keep BGs from carrying more than 10 rounds. Surely they don't want to limit us good guys, right (yeah right)? Anyway, if the bad guy has 10 rounds or 13 rounds I doubt it really matters to him. My logic says it's a dumb law.
    Hope that clears it up. I'd carry a 30 round clip if I could do it easily :)

Are any of you carrying this gun?
    It was a tossup between this and a little Ruger LCP. I'd kinda rather have the stopping power of the .40 cal though.
    I'd rather not tussle with some bleeding and angry BG till he bleeds out.

Are any of you carrying this gun?
    It was a tossup between this and a little Ruger LCP. I'd kinda rather have the stopping power of the .40 cal though.
    I'd rather not tussle with some bleeding and angry BG till he bleeds out.
    Used to carry the G23 (carry the G19 now, which is same size) and they conceal well. Probably about the perfect size for a CCW pistol that fires a service round and is comfortable to fire at the range. The 23 is a little more snappy on the recoil because of the higher pressure .40 round, but it's manageable.

The LCP is a pocket pistol and with that has its own drawbacks and pros. I'd say get both for different situations.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Used to carry the G23 (carry the G19 now, which is same size) and they conceal well. Probably about the perfect size for a CCW pistol that fires a service round and is comfortable to fire at the range. The 23 is a little more snappy on the recoil because of the higher pressure .40 round, but it's manageable.

The LCP is a pocket pistol and with that has its own drawbacks and pros. I'd say get both for different situations.
    I'd love to, but uncle sam wants more tax dollars so it's one or the other till I can save a bit more up.

What made you switch to the 19?

I'd love to, but uncle sam wants more tax dollars so it's one or the other till I can save a bit more up.

What made you switch to the 19?
    Cheaper ammo, faster follow-up shots, and slightly more capacity.

Uncle Sam ruins my gun buying plans too. :(
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

If you can only get one, and you don't have any other handguns, my advice would be to get the 23, or the 19. I say this because I believe that the 23 can be used for multiple situations. For example, the 23 can be used for CCW, training, range work, IDPA, home defence or just getting rid of that possum(if you live in rural areas). I personally like the 19 better due to cheaper practice ammo costs. And, if you go with a high quality round like the HST, Ranger T or Gold Dots(just to name a few) you will not be sacrificing much, if anything, in the "stopping power" area. Remember, shot placement is everything.

The LCP is really only good as a BUG or deep concealment gun. It is too small, and the calibre too weak, for any other uses.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

LOL! Thanks for the responses AND the pics. You guys misunderstood my BG comment and that's my fault.

I automatically see a law like the 10 rounds law being created to keep BGs from carrying more than 10 rounds. Surely they don't want to limit us good guys, right (yeah right)? Anyway, if the bad guy has 10 rounds or 13 rounds I doubt it really matters to him. My logic says it's a dumb law.
    Hope that clears it up. I'd carry a 30 round clip if I could do it easily :)
    When do BGs care about laws? Just as BGs carry without a permit, they would carry more than a 10rnd magazine. Most gun laws are dumb, as the BG's don't care and there aren't harsh enough consequences to get the BGs to care. OMO. YMMV
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links