Any Info on a Walther P-22?

This is a discussion on Any Info on a Walther P-22? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I could not pass up buying a little Walther P-22 last night. It was an impulse buy but most of my guns were. Does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Info on a Walther P-22?

Any Info on a Walther P-22?

I could not pass up buying a little Walther P-22 last night. It was an impulse buy but most of my guns were.
    Does anyone have any info or knowledge about these little guns. It looks about the right size for my Grand Daughter. Does it need any work? Does it hold up to mild use? Any major feed issues? Any input would help. How about a holster?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I could not pass up buying a little Walther P-22 last night. It was an impulse buy but most of my guns were.
    Does anyone have any info or knowledge about these little guns. It looks about the right size for my Grand Daughter. Does it need any work? Does it hold up to mild use? Any major feed issues? Any input would help. How about a holster?
    Mine seems to have held up for about a year now with no real problems. I've put through 4 or 5 different ammo types with no FTE's and only a few FTF's(determined at the time to be sub-par ammo). It's a pain the in butt to clean though. It's not as simplistic as a 1911 or glock or beretta to strip and rebuild.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have to agree. We have one that gets used for plinking at the range. It's been trouble free for the most part with only a couple of FTF problems. It is in fact a pain to clean, but other than that it's okay. I did notice that it's showing some wear on the bottom of the slide, but other than that it seems to be okay even after a few thousand rounds. It's not the best quality gun, but it's great for what we use it for.

Brian

My wife has one and there were some FTF issues at first, but they went away when she tried different ammo and got about 500 rounds through it. She now uses the Walmart bricks of Remington (the Federal has problems) and the only problems is maybe one round out of every few hundred that simply won't fire, but that's fairly typical with rimfire.

As others have said, it's a pain to clean and it's certainly not a target gun, but for the price it's worth getting. I don't know how old your granddaughter is, but the P22 should be a pretty good gun to teach her how to shoot and then once she's more comfortable you can getter something more powerful.

Good Luck!

Try here for the definitive guide to the P-22.

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Thanks for the input. I met a gentleman and his wife this past week at the range and she had a P-22. It looked like a fun gun so I decided to buy one for my Grand Daughter. I have many .22's but not any small size autos. This looked perfect. Thanks again for the info.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have one and everybody that has shot it loved it. My little sister asks me if we can go to the range all the time. Aside from a couple issues and more than standard cleaning assembly/disassembly procedures, it is a fun gun. I have even used it as a BUG.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Just use ammo with a copper coating and clean regularly as the chamber can/will shave some lead.

VIP Member
    I had some problems with mine and something in side broke. I sent it back and they replaced the hammer and some other parts.I had some ammo problems with mine. I use CCI High-Velocity now and they work fine. I got a Friend with one and he put alot of ammo thru it and never had a problem. Good Luck.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I had one and it was a jam-o-matic with every ammo I tried in it.

I polished the feed-ramp and then sold it (with full disclosure). The new owner reported back no feed problems at all.

Apparently some/most/all need a good polishing of the feed-ramp to make them run reliably.

mine gave me a few fits when I first got it but I kept with it and have put several thousand rounds through it. It does FTF and FTE every once in awhile but I cant complain. I shoot the fed bulk packs from walmart through it and it does well enough with them. If you want to spend the money, it seems to really like minimags. I'd rather have one out of a hundred not work from the bulk packs that cost 12 dollars for the 550 rounds compared to flawless for 8 dollars for 100 rounds, especially for a range gun.
    Maybe starting your grand daughter out with minimags might be good though since it will just shoot.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

RANGE REPORT
    Lubed the gun and shot 300 rounds last night. 100 CCI mini mags, 100 Win Super X and 100 Remington Golden bullet HP. The Mini mags functioned perfect and had the best groups (not a targetgun!!!!). The Win functioned well but had less accuracy. There was one failure to extract. The remingtons felt hotter and blew back some powder - had 2 failures to fire ( did fire after rotating case) and 3 failures to extract. I rotated ammo every 10 rounds and rotated mags. I'll stick with CCI's until I can find something that works as good.
    The trigger pull is heavy but OK in DA, SA is heavy but consistent. Accuracy is OK for the size and price. Overall, I am pleased with the gun for the price paid. All I have to do is wait until my grand daughter grows up enought to start shooting handguns. She just turned 3.

Had one it was a good little gun sold it to get the sig that was a mistake.

VIP Member
    First off, it can be a really nice plinking fun gun, and it is not too bad at target shooting even with the short barrel.

It is not hard to take down and clean. But putting it back together is a dog. Be sure to keep the little plastic gizmo needed to get the recoil spring back in place. It is tricky until you have practiced some.

It feeds well and goes bang, provided that you do not have magazines with an "a" stamped on the serial number.

Mine is finicky about ammo. Mini Mags were recommended to me by S&W, and these and Stingers work well. Usually, ordinary Remington 22 LR work O.K.

Everything else I am tried will not operate the slide.

I would not tell someone to purchase this gun, but if you already have it, it can be an OK fun playing around kind-of gun.

And since it is small, and you can both hide it and very rapidly fire it, it might actually pass as a SD gun if that is all you have.

Thanks for the replies. I put another 200 rounds of Mini mag thru it Sunday. Everything worked. You are right about putting back together. It's easy once you realize what the plastic rod is for.
    I'll stick with my .40+ cal for SD but this is a fun gun. Will not replace my S&W41 or my 22/45 with reddot but I wil keep it for plinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links