Question about purchasing a gun in FL with not so perfect record.

This is a discussion on Question about purchasing a gun in FL with not so perfect record. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am reading each and every posting, I feel much better now. I think its time to be pro-active as this situation has really given ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about purchasing a gun in FL with not so perfect record.

I am reading each and every posting, I feel much better now. I think its time to be pro-active as this situation has really given me a wake up call to clean the record once and for all.

In regards to the five days, I did a diversion program in which I cooperated with the authorities. The case went south when many of the agreements between the law enforcement agents and me were done without the presence of a lawyer. It happened many years ago, for me it was a lot of turmoil and very stressful. I do know the lawyers were very mad on how I was treated without any representation taking advantage of my ignorance at the time. Between the lawyer and judge some agreements were done and the five days jail time was good enough.
    I will do some research and follow up on how it goes.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Being a narcotics detective and reading between the lines here, I'm going to take an educated guess you are not a felon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Did the clerk even send in to have your record checked to verify if there was a felony conviction? Sounds like since you checked the box as yes, they told you you were not eligible. They may have not even checked. In Michigan, if you even go purchase a gun you need a purchase permit (unless you already have a CPL). To get the permit you go to the sheriff's dept where they run your criminal record on the spot. That way you know before even going to the store that there is no problem with your criminal record. In my COunty the purchase permit was 6 bucks. I now have a CPL and don't have to deal with this anymore, because I don't have to get the purchase permit.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmo44 View Post
    Did the clerk even send in to have your record checked to verify if there was a felony conviction? Sounds like since you checked the box as yes, they told you you were not eligible. They may have not even checked.
    It would be illegal for them to do this. The 4473 is not to check criminal status, the FFL could get in some trouble knowingly doing this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hi and welcome from a fellow Jax resident.

As others have said, enlisting the help of a lawyer would seem to be your best bet. Were I in your position I'd contact Eric Friday. He's a local "pro gun" lawyer and he's even our area NRA Election Volunteer Coordinator. Last I spoke with him, his office had a 100% success rate in cases where people were wrongfully denied on thier 4473 submitals. Perhaps he could help you as well.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mazpr View Post
    Yes, I was convicted for possesion, 5 days in jail and volunteered in a special program and no I was never on probation strange as it may seem.

It was something stupid what I did, the damage was done, but I have done everything to maintain myself on a straight path and up to this day everything has been good for me.

About purchasing it via a private sale, the clerk made it very clear on NOT purchasing anything until I clear the felony. I am not desperate to have a firearm, but feel very dissapointed. By the way that S&W was one nice piece of steel, I loved it since the moment he opened the case. Thanks for the quick replies and promise not to do anything stupid.
    This sounds like a pre-trial diversion, in which case you would not have a felony conviction on your record, and should be fine to purchase the pistol.

You need to get the records from the jurisdiction where this took place, and find out exactly what the disposition of the case was.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I doubt that you did time on a Felony in 95 for possession. It probably was the original charge and dropped for a plea. You would have had to jump through a bunch of loops to get into the military with a felony conviction.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links