COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop

This is a discussion on COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 ...I'm not a great fan of the AR-15 platform, either. Just curious, what platform do you like?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    ...I'm not a great fan of the AR-15 platform, either.
    Just curious, what platform do you like?

2. Remove Ads

I agree w/Mr.Edmonds: He seems overly concerned with waiting for "back up" to help him out.
    Maybe he needs to focus on solving the problem himself.
    IIRC NYPD can carry either a DAO SIG 228, a S&W 659(or what ever the current DAO model number is) or a Glock 17/19? That kind of narrows down his decision making process doesn't it?
    The 10 New York magazines are gone as well as the FMJ ammo, the rest is a training/software issue, NIT a wihch gun/hardrware issue.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I carry both types, Hi Cap and "low cap" weapons. the preference is mine and mine only. I feel confident enough with a 5 shot wheelie with a couple of speed loaders, or a Hi cap pistol with 3 spare hi caps. I'm not the "spray and pray" type, and if I were I'd carry one of my MAC 10s with tons of ammo. I feel that the area where I'm traveling to is responsible for my personal mode of carry, and the choice of weapon I'm going to carry for that particular day.
    If you're going to have the spray and pray mentailty, a good look at your compitence shold be a priority, along with a good insurance policy against wrongful death lawsuits

i agree with all of this i have carried and do either a 9mm with 18 rounds 45 with 8 or 38 snubbie with 6 all depends on weather and what i want to carry im confident with 6 shots of non +P 38 as i am 8 45's or 18 9mm's

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I can't help but ask this, if you feel confident with a five shot wheelie, why do you carry a couple of speed loaders?
    Probably the same reason I do. Even though I think 5 will most likely do it, I don't want to be sitting there with an empty gun in the aftermath.

I think the most important thing I've discovered in this thread is that I need to remember that people see the world through THEIR circumstances not in general. My Oregon scenario is a very real one and supports cover fire, where as the thought of it in NY is down right negligent. Neither is wrong.

Good conversation though. As for hi-cap verses low-cap, people are set in their ways for many reasons. Just keep evaluating your position. I was a died inthe wool 1911 7+1 five years ago. What made me switch to 9mm 17+1? Training. Training that debunked many internet and gunrag myths, and giving up my prejudices to support my favorite gun for the one that works best. It's a tool, not a talisman.

OD*
    for the one that works best
    Which is the 1911, for me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    What made me switch to 9mm 17+1?
    Just rember no matter how you justify it 9mm is for women and pansy's ... Same with 44 Magnum :chairshot

Ill go put my nomex on and sleep in it tonight :outtahere

OD*
    Here ya go Bud...

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Thanks od i was looking for that

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Probably the same reason I do. Even though I think 5 will most likely do it, I don't want to be sitting there with an empty gun in the aftermath.
    I don't know Euc, it kinda sounds like the reason to carry TWO speed loaders is to have more ammo in case you run out of ammo in a gunfight - not to reload after the gunfight. Why would you need two for that?

My only point is that if you knew, I mean really knew, you would be in a gunfight with a handgun, would you deliberately choose a gun that holds 5 rounds plus two speed reloaders rather than a gun that holds 15-17 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    ...It's a tool, not a talisman.
    Actually, it can be. Consider, if you will, that we are told that if we look soft, we become a target. If we look hard, we may be avoided. Well, if the presence of a gun causes us to radiate an aura of confidence and control such that we are perceived as hard, perhaps we'll be avoided. In that sense, the gun does, indeed, become a talisman that wards off evil. And for that, it doesn't matter what kind/caliber gun it is.

Just don't get cocky about it and go do things you wouldn't do if not carrying.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    My only point is that if you knew, I mean really knew, you would be in a gunfight with a handgun, would you deliberately choose a gun that holds 5 rounds plus two speed reloaders rather than a gun that holds 15-17 rounds?
    If I REALLY knew that I was going to be in a gunfight in advance . . . I would NOT be there!! Why look for trouble? [This assumes civilian. LEOs HAVE to go where there may be trouble.]

But being prepared, in case of trouble is another story.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    If I REALLY knew that I was going to be in a gunfight in advance . . . I would NOT be there!! Why look for trouble? [This assumes civilian. LEOs HAVE to go where there may be trouble.]

But being prepared, in case of trouble is another story.
    Of course, no one would be in a gunfight if they could avoid it. But we must think there could come a time when we couldn't avoid using a gun to preserve our life or why do we carry a gun in the first place? So if our life could depend on our gun, would we rather have one that holds 5 rounds or one that holds 15 rounds?

The point is, if we face only one BG, five shots to the COM or two to the COM and one to the head may work IF every shot is a good, solid hit. But what if we're moving, the threat is moving, is only partially disclosed, there are two threats, he/they are about to shoot at us, etc. and we miss a time or two? Now we have only three shots left to overcome two threats. Do we really want to put ourselves in a deadly situation with a minimal amount of ammo in our gun?

Tangle, you are making way too much sense. Stop while you can.

Senior Moderator
    Good advice! I'm goin' shootin'! Haven't been all week!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links