COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop - Page 4

COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop

This is a discussion on COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tangle Just curious, what platform do you like? M1A/M-14. I've owned an AR and I likely will again (I know I'm in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: COMMENTS ? Your Opinion ? Rookie Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Just curious, what platform do you like?
    M1A/M-14. I've owned an AR and I likely will again (I know I'm in somebody's will to get his and he's in the 80's...so I won't turn it down for the family connection....). But if I had a choice on gun & caliber to use in a combat situation, I'd take the M-14 hands down.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It all boils down to this:

#1. I'm paranoid.
    #2. Being paranoid is good.
    #3. I'm more paranoid than some and less paranoid than others.

I'm still thinking we all subconsciously compensate to adjust to a universally perceived threat level. I made that thread a while ago, but at least consciously we're all worried about something different.

But consciously I know that I have my carry gun for the same reason I have my insurance. I also know there are holes in my coverage, but the fact is I keep the insurance anyway because it covers the most likely problems I could face. I know not every gun has universal application in all situations and you can't name one that does.

Person A goes for 12 round magazines. Person B simply carries two guns with 6 rounds each. Are they so different?

I'll never understand the reasoning that you can miss 5 or 6 times and then suddenly triumph in the real world... in paintball games where no one can really tell who got hit first sure, but people who get hit by real slugs tend to react a little! It sounds harsh but I know if I miss all those shots in a row, my goose is cooked and it doesn't matter how many I have left.

OD*
    Person A goes for 12 round magazines. Person B simply carries two guns with 6 rounds each. Are they so different?
    Nope, it's just a New York reload.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Euclidean,
    What it really boils down to is this...

1. All handgun rounds are poor performers.
    2. There are only two things we can do to increase their effectiveness.
    a. Place a shot in the CNS zone (practically impossible on a moving target)
    b. Place multiple shots in the tightest group you can in the cardio triangle.

2.(a) Is not likely.
    2.(b) Is the reason for hi-caps.

It has nothing to do with having extra rounds to miss with before getting "serious." It has nothing to do with "spray and pray" mentality.

It has everything to do with having a small poor performing platform (handgun) and maximizing it's effectiveness.

Paranoia would be packing 500 rounds of .223 and an AR15 pistol under a trench coat.

That's a far cry from having a gun the same size as one you might describe as a "non-paranoid" gun that carries twice the ammo in an equally poor performing caliber.

Why must the drama be added to such a seemingly simple and logical choice in handguns? Because it is not about a logical decision, but an emotional one for most.

Here's my criteria for selecting a CCW handgun:
    1. The one that you can shoot best in a major caliber (9mm+)
    2. The one that carries the most rounds without sacrificing #1
    3. The one that conceals best without sacrificing #2 or #1

1911 8+1 verses Glock G17 17+1
    1. 9mm shoots best (rapid followup)
    2. G17 beats 1911 on #2
    3. 1911 beats G17 on #3

Since #1 and #2 take precedence over #3 (I can dress around the gun), why would I choose the 1911?

I like the trigger on my 1911 much better, I like the caliber much better, but those are feel goods considering the trigger is not that big of a difference (I've tested the two in accuracy and time) and the .45 is not significantly superior in ballistics with todays wonder HPs, so why would I carry it when the logical decision would be the G17?

PS. What insurance policy are you counting on in a gun fight? The one that says most will not require a reload, not require more than 3 shots or be farther than 3 ft? (those are deadman stats by the way)

My insurance policy is going to be the most bang for the buck. But again, to each their own.

OD*
    Haven't followed IPSC in some time, does the SAAMI 9mm make major caliber now?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Not sure... You ever wonder why the head zone on the IDPA target is an "A" hit anywhere on it and the IPSC "A" zone is a 3x5 area, when IDPA is suppose to be more realistic? :)

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC 9mm does not make major in IPSC - thus .40 and .45 choices I think and seems too .40 carries most sway, much as anything I suspect because of capacity factors.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

First off, I figure the average NYPD cop can get all the practice ammo he can stand from the department range.They want cops that can shoot there, since bad shots tend to wound bystanders.

Secondly,I carry a high cap 9mm because I travel late at night, and worry about getting bogged down somewhere where my cell phone might not allow me to call for help. A 17 round handgun and an extra mag would be a great deal of comfort when unidentified persons are following you home.

This happened to me three weekends ago, by the way.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links