Cool new project

Cool new project

This is a discussion on Cool new project within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have been putting up with the stands at the range for a while now. They are heavily used, and in most cases one ...

Thread: Cool new project

Cool new project

So I have been putting up with the stands at the range for a while now. They are heavily used, and in most cases one shot from falling apart (literally). I decided to make my own target stand today, so to the hardware store I went. My stand was made out of 20' of 1" PVC piping, 4 end caps, 4 T's, and 2 90 degree elbows. Total cost was about $11 with tax. I am very happy with what I ended up with, especially since I was just winging it, with no plans or anything. It is a little over 6 feet tall too!
    Attached Images
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Nice work. Would you consider typing up a cut list, etc.?

Without gluing several of the parts, it would be awesome to just keep in my truck.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Nice work. Would you consider typing up a cut list, etc.?

Without gluing several of the parts, it would be awesome to just keep in my truck.
    That's one of the reasons I made it like I did. I didn't glue many of the junctions so that the whole thing comes apart and fits in a duffel bag. It's great for taking to the range. Cut list? Ask, and you shall receive my friend!

I started with two 10' long 1"OD PVC pipes.

cut the first pipe at the 12", 24", 36", and 48" marks from one end. This will leave you with the following pieces:

4x12" long pieces
    1x6' piece

cut the second piece at the 24" and 48" from one end. This will leave you with:

2x24" long pieces
    1x6' long piece.

I am sure you can figure out how these pieces go together from my pics, but if you can't then feel free to PM me!

VIP Member
    Looks good

I did the same a couple of months ago, except I used 1x1 wood for the uprights, and the first time you or someone else shoots the stand you will wish you did to.

A buddy and I were practicing draw and fire scenarios with three targets. We would move them around, vary the distance and angle, and place a piece of masking tape over the holes after each round so we could tell the hits apart. Both of us managed to shoot the uprights during the first couple of hours (when shooting the targets in a 120* arc...3, 1, 2, respectively, learning to not over swing). My buddy took out two of them in the shins during the course of the day (fired too soon on the draw, and got an butt chewing for it). I was real glad I used the wood.

Seeing the holes in the wood was sobering as well (not to mention the lack of a hole in the paper for the shots fired). "That was a miss. Wonder who or what it would have hit had it been real?" By the end of the day we were down to our worst shots being lungers.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I did the same a couple of months ago, except I used 1x1 wood for the uprights, and the first time you or someone else shoots the stand you will wish you did to.

A buddy and I were practicing draw and fire scenarios with three targets. We would move them around, vary the distance and angle, and place a piece of masking tape over the holes after each round so we could tell the hits apart. Both of us managed to shoot the uprights during the first couple of hours (when shooting the targets in a 120* arc...3, 1, 2, respectively, learning to not over swing). My buddy took out two of them in the shins during the course of the day (fired too soon on the draw, and got an butt chewing for it). I was real glad I used the wood.

Seeing the holes in the wood was sobering as well (not to mention the lack of a hole in the paper for the shots fired). "That was a miss. Wonder who or what it would have hit had it been real?" By the end of the day we were down to our worst shots being lungers.

I understand what you mean about the "first time someone shoots it", but that's why I made it out of PVC. No, I do not think that PVC is bulletproof! The whole stand only costs $3.00 worth of pipe. If I had to pay for a new board it would be at least that much, and this way I can only replace the broken piece because the whole thing comes apart. Also, with a wooden stand you have to take out nails and disassemble to replace the part. I can carry replacements on me, and it only takes about 30 seconds to replace any component. Another advantage, because I live in an apartment, is storage and transportation. I can break this down, and it'll store and transport in a duffel bag. That's nice for those of us that don't have the room to store or only a car to transport. I can store and transport many of these stands in the same space it would take for one wood stand. Just my conflicting viewpoint....

I believe he is referring to this with the wood uprights

Also this page has lots of cool plans for free for all kinds of goodies
    ==> FreeIdaho -Entry- Page -Entry-<==
    Attached Images

Yep wood uprights are cheap and will handle a hit a little better than PVC which will probably shatter like glass if shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton View Post
    I believe he is referring to this with the wood uprights

Also this page has lots of cool plans for free for all kinds of goodies
    ==> FreeIdaho -Entry- Page -Entry-<==
    Yup, the attached pics is what I built. PVC pipe base, then the 1x1 for the uprights.

The wood will take several hits, the PVC (though I have not tried it) may not take 1. I am inclined to agree that it will shatter.

But what you have for measured target practice is great. Just for training (draw, acquire, shoot) the wood would be better. IMO. I am in no way faulting your design or decision.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well I went shooting with it today for the first time, and I must say that it took the hits better than we suspected. The pvc took two direct hits with 9mm FMJs, and is still holding up surprisingly well. I Like the idea of a PVC base and 1x1 uprights. I may try that. My biggest problem is storage and transportation though, as I live in an apartment and have limited space. Thanks for the links guys!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Well I went shooting with it today for the first time, and I must say that it took the hits better than we suspected. The pvc took two direct hits with 9mm FMJs, and is still holding up surprisingly well. I Like the idea of a PVC base and 1x1 uprights. I may try that. My biggest problem is storage and transportation though, as I live in an apartment and have limited space. Thanks for the links guys!
    I stand corrected. Glad to hear it survived the hits.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I stand corrected. Glad to hear it survived the hits.
    I wouldn't go that far. Notice I did say 9mm FMJs. A direct hit from a .45 and it would've been game over for the PVC I think.

VIP Member
    I built two like this a couple of years ago.

The the four wood uprights now has big chunks out of it and a multitude of holes from .22 to .45 and are still hanging in there. The plans came from American Handgunner May/June 2006. I have a pdf of the article, but it is too big to post. Anyone interested in the plans can send me a PM including your email address and I will send them to you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Very much like the movable stands that we use on our range but with wooden uprights too. Our stationary one are also pvc but in the ground with wooden uprights. I love your indoor range but you may want to move your toaster and Mr Coffee before you take that first shot. J/K
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Sponsored Links