Pulled over today

This is a discussion on Pulled over today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on vacation a week ago and even though I have a good safe , I took all my handguns , but one that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over today

Distinguished Member

Pulled over today

I was on vacation a week ago and even though I have a good safe , I took all my handguns , but one that I carried to my dad's house for safe keeping. I went over there today to pick them up and when I was leaving I got pulled over for running a stop sign ( I did stop). I kept my hands on the steering wheel and told the officer that I have a concealed firearm and a permit. He asked what kind , I told him I have several and that I just got back from vacation and I had taken them over my dad's house for safe keeping. He was real calm and called in my license and just gave me a warning and thanked me for letting him know about the guns. He also reminded me by law that I had do tell him that I had a concealed weapon , but I didn't think I had to in Virginia , I did it as a courtesy to him from reading other people post on this website. So i owe y'all a thank you , you might have kept me from getting locked up and losing my guns and cc permit.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    He also reminded me by law that I had do tell him that I had a concealed weapon , but I didn't think I had to in Virginia
    You were correct in your thinking... You are not required to notify an LEO of your CCW in VA.

VIP Member

No ticket, no harm!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You are not required to notify an LEO of your CCW in VA.
    I wonder just how long something like that will last? Once they run your license and all they'll know anyway, and around here they get really pissed if you didn't tell them to start with--here you consider your permit and driver's license as a single piece of identification short of stapling them together. What sense is there in attempting to hide the fact anyway? Some sort of challenge or asserting your rights to be secretive? Intentionally hiding something from a LEO puts undue suspicion upon you. Then if an officer asks you out of the vehicle to search you or the contents you immediately start thinking of calling your attorney. Nice.

VIP Member
    I was informed by a local LEO here in Henrico county that the info is linked to your vehicle registration and not your drivers license. When they make a stop and call in the vehicle license number it comes back and tells them the owner is a CHP holder. Not a fool proof method, but better than nothing I guess. Although not required in VA to inform, I do out of habit, got my first carry permit in OK and are required to inform there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Here in Tennessee, the Handgun Carry Permit is exactly the same number as the Driver License; so, while no legal requirement to inform, one might as well--the officer will know the instant they run your license.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

kaz
    I'd considered doing the same thing until I found out this city is strongly against CC. KS has you tell if asked, you don't have to volunteer that info. But with WPD having a less-than-stellar reputation and the city's attitude? I think I'm going to only give info requested. Really glad it went so well for you though.

I got a no seatbelt ticket as a passenger last week.I didn't inofrm the state trooper I was carrying..did I break the law..or just prevent a warning only ticket?I'm in NY state.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I was on vacation a week ago and even though I have a good safe , I took all my handguns , but one that I carried to my dad's house for safe keeping. I went over there today to pick them up and when I was leaving I got pulled over for running a stop sign ( I did stop). I kept my hands on the steering wheel and told the officer that I have a concealed firearm and a permit. He asked what kind , I told him I have several and that I just got back from vacation and I had taken them over my dad's house for safe keeping. He was real calm and called in my license and just gave me a warning and thanked me for letting him know about the guns. He also reminded me by law that I had do tell him that I had a concealed weapon , but I didn't think I had to in Virginia , I did it as a courtesy to him from reading other people post on this website. So i owe y'all a thank you , you might have kept me from getting locked up and losing my guns and cc permit.
    You're thinking was correct. You don't have to notify in VA. It might be polite, but not required. What county/city was it? We need to get a letter or something out to that county/city/town/whatever's CLEO to politely remind them of the rules.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    It was Chesterfield Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Once they run your license and all they'll know anyway
    I think that depends on where you are.
    In my state, it does not come up unless they specifically search it.

Not required here in MN....

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I wonder just how long something like that will last? Once they run your license and all they'll know anyway, and around here they get really pissed if you didn't tell them to start with--here you consider your permit and driver's license as a single piece of identification short of stapling them together. What sense is there in attempting to hide the fact anyway? Some sort of challenge or asserting your rights to be secretive? Intentionally hiding something from a LEO puts undue suspicion upon you. Then if an officer asks you out of the vehicle to search you or the contents you immediately start thinking of calling your attorney. Nice.
    Here simply running your license wonít tell them that you have a carry permit. They have to access it through the DPS website. If carrying a gun has nothing to do with the reason they stopped you I donít see why I need to tell them if it is not required, which it is not here in MN. Now if they want me to exit the vehicle or go sit in their car then I will certainly tell them
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

sounds like a typical cop with an oversized ego

In Missouri you have a choice to have your ccw endorsement posted on your Drivers License or a State issued Non-Driver ID card.

I chose to have mine posted on State ID card only because I don't want "snoopy" store clerks, grocery clerks or restaurants knowing I have ccw when I use my drivers license for cashing a check or in similar situations. (Heck, I may have "missed" that no guns sign when I walked in and don't want to be brow beat and kicked out)

However, your ccw status is known to LEO's who run your drivers license through the computer even though your ccw endorsement is stamped on the State ID card instead of the drivers license because your ccw tied in to the State DMV/DOR.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links