Anyone know about Puma rifles?

This is a discussion on Anyone know about Puma rifles? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Title pretty much says it all. Looking around the internet I found Puma rifles, apparently owned by Legacy, who owns Howa and Webley as well. ...

Thread: Anyone know about Puma rifles?

Anyone know about Puma rifles?

Title pretty much says it all. Looking around the internet I found Puma rifles, apparently owned by Legacy, who owns Howa and Webley as well. Their rifles look pretty nice, (I'm lookin for a lever action in .357). But the fact that I have never heard of them before doesn't make me want to rush out and get one.

So, who has knowledge they want to share?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know Howas are good and Legacy is a reputable company too. I know this is not a direct answer but if it sucked I think Legacy would stand behind their product.

P.S. Have fun on your ride along.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Puma has been around for a while. I have a Model 1892 lever action in .44 Magnum (I think the Puma name was part of Interarms at that time?), and I am satisfied with it. Pistol-caliber carbines and rifles can be a good choice when paired with a like-caliber handgun (as long as the bullet profile is okay with a tubular magazine).

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

OD*
    Legacy Sports is a distributor, Pumas are made by Rossi.

December of 1997 BrazTech International L.C. was created as the exclusive importer of Rossi firearms in North America. Previously, Rossi firearms were distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia. Rossi manufactures its classic rifles in a plant in Sa Leopoldo, Brazil and will continue operations there, selling many firearms outside the United States and North America.

At the same time, Forjas Taurus, S.A. purchased the rights and the equipment to manufacture Rossi handguns. Taurus manufactures three models of .38 Special revolvers and four models of .357 Magnum revolvers under contract with Rossi. Revolvers sold by BrazTech with the Rossi name are manufactured in a brand new facility owned by Taurus in SaoLeopoldo, Brazil. Much of the tooling and many of the machines were acquired from Rossi during negotiations between the companies.

Today's Rossi is still run by the same family and they put the same dedication and innovation into every firearm. At Rossi, it is more than just building guns...it is a family's history and tradition.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD, I actually have a Rossi revolver I'm happy with, so that doesn't really bother me.

I'll get one in my hands and see what I think about fit and finish and the like.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Thanks OD, I actually have a Rossi revolver I'm happy with, so that doesn't really bother me.

I'll get one in my hands and see what I think about fit and finish and the like.
    They build a real nice rifle, I'm sure you'd be happy with one. Here's a couple articles on the .357 leverguns;

Rossi Model 92 .357

357 Magnum and the Literature

~ Tiger McKee

Thumbs up Rossi 92

I owned an older Rossi 92 .357 with 16" bbl. It was well made,accurate,and just plain handy and fun to shoot. I regret getting rid of it and have been looking for one to replace it.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Pumas

I have worked on a couple for the local cowboy action folks and they were fine. No concerns about their quality even if they did need a bit "slicked up" for CAS. If you do a search among those forums ther e is a wealth of information.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Legacy Sports is a distributor, Pumas are made by Rossi.
    That's right, it was indeed Rossi. I stand corrected.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Sponsor
    A 16" bbl Puma in .454 Casull is on my personal "short" list of guns.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    That's right, it was indeed Rossi. I stand corrected.
    No problem mi amigo.

~ Tiger McKee

I have a "Rossi" 1892 that is distributed here under the name EMF Hartford. I've been told it's the same gun as the Puma, comes out of the same plant.

Mine is a 24" octagonal barrel in 45LC. Well over 1000 rounds downrange with nary a hiccup and I've even put about 50 "Ruger/TC" rounds thru it (read up on it: a lot of gun writers including Paco Kelly say these 45LC Rossi 1892 clones can handle heavy loads... be safe though). They are like shooting a 12ga with metal buttplate, ie. bruised shoulder.

Would need to be slicked up before CAS was attempted, but for a range/hunting gun, it's perfect. Mine happens to be my favorite gun in my collection. It's a hoot and way more accurate than me.

Links