Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if..... - Page 2

Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if.....

This is a discussion on Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "what's it to you" is always a good reply. Score another one for Sixto, he's right on....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if.....

"what's it to you" is always a good reply.

Score another one for Sixto, he's right on.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    "what's it to you" is always a good reply.
    Um.....yeah......if you've a hankering to learn about as many of the obscure traffic laws of your state as possible....

To the OP: the biggest "danger" you'd face from me would be that of possibly getting stuck in a seeming endless discussion of your guns, my guns, and guns in general.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Um.....yeah......if you've a hankering to learn about as many of the obscure traffic laws of your state as possible....

To the OP: the biggest "danger" you'd face from me would be that of possibly getting stuck in a seeming endless discussion of your guns, my guns, and guns in general.....
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Glad you feel this way. In fact, this describes the few encounters I've had...

However, let me add another aspect that I rarely see mentioned:

Many LEOs have little knowledge of ccw laws.
    It is regularly stated that disarming a ccw during a routine stop is OK for "officer safety". (I strongly disagree)
    Since I (normally) don't know the LEO involved, I don't know the extent of his/her knowledge or attitude re ccw (or private gun ownership).

Therefore, comply with the law. Nothing more, nothing less. Offer no info not required or specifically asked (within reason). Give up NO rights.

For example: you're armed, have others in car. Pulled for minor item (tail light, etc.). Nothing else to warrant concern.
    Law requires you, if asked for dl, to include ccw. You present both. Officer asks if you're armed. You say yes. No mention of arsenal in trunk.
    If asked if you have any others, I would tactfully ask why he's asking. You've already presented yourself as a "good guy" - statistically proven to safer and more law-abiding than the general public.

Point here is attitude, presentation and mutual respect - from both sides. The officer has the right to fish. You have the right not to bite. You're innocent until you do something ignorant (as opposed to stupid - you can't fix stupid). Know the laws in you state. Follow them to the letter. No more, no less.

just passin' thru...

Howard
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

The less you tell the police, the better off you will be.
    Tennessee for example takes the Bill Clinton stance. They don't ask, me & Sundance don't tell.
    Our cops are only worried about speeders and Krispy Kreme fresh doughnut lights anyway.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BUTCH69 View Post
    The less you tell the police, the better off you will be.
    Tennessee for example takes the Bill Clinton stance. They don't ask, me & Sundance don't tell.
    Our cops are only worried about speeders and Krispy Kreme fresh doughnut lights anyway.
    And you wonder why you have problems...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Been stopped twice while carrying (I drive with leaden foot).

Both times were good experiences (despite the tickets). The first officer, a cycle cop, wanted to talk about guns all day long.

The second guy was more discreet, courteous, professional and thorough than I have ever seen a police officer be .

Gave my ccl back to me in the envelope with the ticket and told me my "ID", driver's license and insurance verification were all in that envelope. I was in a different State, too.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Moderator
    I can see it now..

yeah occifer...
    I have a couple of .50 BMGs for varmints, a couple of suppessed guns for shooting critters and night and some more AK's and AR's that I'm taking ot the range to verify the zero's on ,along with 8000 rounds of ammo...underneath my stash of beer...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links