Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if.....

This is a discussion on Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got thinking due to another thread / post I saw on back up guns being carried. What if..... and wouldn't that be interesting. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advising LEO's ... (lol) what if.....

I got thinking due to another thread / post I saw on back up guns being carried. What if..... and wouldn't that be interesting.

I know at times, I've gone to our farm with a friend of mine and we will take different guns with us to shoot, etc. So, I (myself) might have 1 on me, 3 handguns in the back, an AR, 2 other rifles, and one handgun in the console next to me (loaded). Let alone that he brings some along to shoot as well and carries.

It made me wonder and laugh a bit...... especially since the going to the farm we go thru some very small towns...... imagining some LEO pulling us over and showing my permit, and him asking "where is your gun " ?

Answer, well .. there's one here, one here, he has 2 on him, there are X number of hand guns in the back, an AR, X number of rifles....

We might seem like a traveling arsenal.

I wonder how much "back up" he would call in for ?

Anyone else thought of this, or might have that issue ?

imagining some LEO pulling us over and showing my permit, and him asking "where is your gun " ?
    The LEO would be referring to the one on you--on your person at the time. In my state, I am allowed to carry up to three handguns total at any time with my permit. Telling the officer more than he is asking for just doesn't make any sense. If he wants to know more, he'll ask more. Same goes for your shooting buddy----the officer is asking you---if he asks any questions about your friend, let your friend answer the questions directed at him. Keep it simple or you'll be parked beside the road for a long time and more than likely all of your firearms would be run by serial number to check if they were stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The LEO would be referring to the one on you--on your person at the time. In my state, I am allowed to carry up to three handguns total at any time with my permit. Telling the officer more than he is asking for just doesn't make any sense. If he wants to know more, he'll ask more. Same goes for your shooting buddy----the officer is asking you---if he asks any questions about your friend, let your friend answer the questions directed at him. Keep it simple or you'll be parked beside the road for a long time and more than likely all of your firearms would be run by serial number to check if they were stolen.
    Good reply.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    I don't know RamRod... If an officer asks "Where's the gun" and you only tell him about one of the 5 in the car, you may asking for it when he finds out there are more. Depends on the officer, place, and circumstances, I guess.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    How about, "My carry gun is here, and we are on our way to the range, so there is XYZ in the trunk"

Honesty and simplicity is a pretty much sure fire way to handle any LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

and we are on our way to the range
    Again--submitting information not asked for. Usually a LEO will ask "where y'all going"? If he's interested in knowing.

so there is XYZ in the trunk
    Again--supplying too much information in regard the original question. What you say otherwise may open doors to an illegal and warrant-less search of you and your vehicle. Doors should be opened one at a time. Again-----
    imagining some LEO pulling us over and showing my permit, and him asking "where is your gun " ?
    By the way--I would tell the honest truth once the specific question is asked. No blabber-mouthing from me, and I know my rights (or most of them anyway).

Administrator
    Well, your coming from one side of the fence, I'm coming from the other... but I'm not saying your wrong.

Not that guns in the trunk matter a whole lot anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, your coming from one side of the fence, I'm coming from the other... but I'm not saying your wrong.

Not that guns in the trunk matter a whole lot anyway.
    I understand. I'm not saying anyone else is wrong either--just lending my opinion. It's up to each and everyone to decide for themselves. If I were me, I'd follow my advice though.

I guess it depends upon...

The state and it's gun laws...
    Why the individual was stopped...
    The LEO asking the questions...
    If the person stopped/asked questions wants to make things go the easy way or the hard way...

Stay armed...use common sense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I'm headed for the range, I may well have a dozen or more firearms along for the ride. They're cased, unloaded, and in the (locked and covered) bed of the truck.

I can't think of any reason to bring them up if asked about my CCW.

If, for some reason, the vehicle were going to be searched, I would inform them of the contents of my truck bed before they opened it... given the opportunity. No reason to surprise them with a bunch of guns, tends to make some people uncomfortable to find firearms unexpectedly. Honestly, I can't imagine a reason why an officer would want to search my vehicle, and without a warrant, I'm not unlocking the bed anyway.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member

Got stopped with 3 guns in my vehicle

I got stopped a while back for malfunctioning taillights that I didn't know about. I got out and waited behind my vehicle for the leo to get out of his, which is pretty normal around here. I was not CCW, but gave him my permit and DL anyway. He asked did I have any weapons in my vehicle. I said that I actually had 3.

1. I had taken my CCW off and put in in the seat for comfort while driving home
    2. I had a Sig in a travel bag that's with me whenever I travel by car.
    3. I had just bought a mil-surp Swedish army rifle that was propped up on the passenger seat. I told him about it, and that it was so new to me that I didn't even have cartridges for it yet.

He said okay, checked it all out, and got out my insurance and registration from the glovebox himself while I waited. It wasn't a big deal, he was very professional and very cautious. It was night, on a desolate stretch of Interstate, and btw a local leo had been shot in the face by a bicyclist a couple of days earlier.

I was very straight and to the point with him. Cooperative and truthful. No ticket, just advised me to drive home with my flashers on. We wound up having a 10-minute gun talk on the side of the rode while I was freezing to death.
    Last edited by ppkheat; July 14th, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    How about, "My carry gun is here, and we are on our way to the range, so there is XYZ in the trunk"

+1. I think this is the best way to go. I'd just say that I have "more" in the trunk not what or how many.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

it depends on what exactly he/she asks and the state laws, etc.
    back in michigan, i could carry as many handguns as i wanted, and was required to inform the police that i was carrying. so if i were on the way to the range with multiple guns, they would most likely be unlocked, in my range bag, in the back seat, which means im technically carrying them. i would tell the officer i was carrying, if he asked where, a simple "my carry gun is on my right hip, others are in my range bag in the back"
    now if i were here in TN it would be a differant story. As I am not required to inform the police officer, he/she wouldn't know anyways.
    I am all for excersizing my right to shut up when a cop is questioning you, but one must of course also abide by the laws, depending on what they are in ur state.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I'm with you on this, I'd just say "we're headin out to the range"
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links