Cop Sues Glock

This is a discussion on Cop Sues Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://tinyurl.com/6fr3n8 LOS ANGELES—An off-duty Los Angeles police officer who was paralyzed after his young son accidentally shot him in 2006 filed a lawsuit Wednesday against ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cop Sues Glock

Cop Sues Glock

http://tinyurl.com/6fr3n8

LOS ANGELES—An off-duty Los Angeles police officer who was paralyzed after his young son accidentally shot him in 2006 filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the manufacturer of the gun involved in the accident.
    Enrique Chavez of Anaheim was shot in the back by his 3-year-old son after the boy grabbed his father's Glock 21—a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol—from the back seat of his pickup truck.
    The lawsuit alleges the defendants knew the safety device was defective and that 5.5 pounds of pressure on the trigger frequently results in accidental discharges.
    So, you are suing because when you put a nose picker on the lever-thingy, and pull it, it goes bang.
    Why don't we just put you in jail for child endangerment.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Most people I have met from cali are sue happy mongrols. Not everyone ofcorse, but it defenitly seems to be a way of life out there. Like if someone gets rear ended they will for SURE 99.99999% of the time end up with a "neck injury". I'm sure the level headed cali people from this forum might agree?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    I saw this posted in another forum. Even LEOs are ticked off about the stupidity of the fact and the lawsuit.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    So, you are suing because when you put a nose picker on the lever-thingy, and pull it, it goes bang.
    Why don't we just put you in jail for child endangerment.
    Great question. You would think leaving allowing his son to access and shoot HIS Glock would be a great case for child endangerment. I am almost always against child endangerment cases for a gun being in the house, but to actually allow your son to shoot you is inexcusable.

Personal Responsibility: what a concept.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This story is outrageous. A police officer, of all people, should be aware of his weapon at all times. Allowing his toddler access is completely irresponsible. He is very lucky his son did not shoot himself as has occurred in some other recent stories.

That said, the man is paralyzed, has no job and has exorbitant medical bills. His future is ruined. The man is grasping at anything to pay the bills and take care of his family. Clearly, he will lose the lawsuit and these frivolous lawsuits are ruining our justice system but the man has no shots left. I actually feel sorry for this guy.

It is also instructive to understand that a momentary lapse can change any of our lives forever in just a matter of seconds.

... the boy grabbed his father's Glock 21 ... from the back seat of his pickup truck.
    Yup. Glock's fault. Riiiiiiight.

"Defective" safety device? As in, active, formal, manual safety a la 1911's? What safety device? He's confused. Sounds like he needed to pay better attention in gun class, instead of sue-'em-r-us discussions. Of course, none of the howling about safeties has anything to do with his failure to control access to his weapon.

Reckless endangerment, sounds like.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 13th, 2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Looks like the LAPD is pretty careless about firearms in general:

Accidents, Friendly-Fire Cause Nearly Half Of Police Gunshot Wounds - News Story - KNBC | Los Angeles

Friendly-fire incidents and other accidental shootings account for almost half of the gunshot wounds suffered by Los Angeles Police Department officers in the past 20 years, it was reported Thursday.

LAPD officers have been involved in more than 350 accidental firearm discharges and more than a dozen friendly fire incidents since 1985, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Officer-involved shootings -- accidental and otherwise -- have declined in the past five years, but accidental shootings accounted for about one-third of gunshot wounds suffered by LAPD officers, according to The Times.

Police records cited by The Times show that of the 161 officers wounded by gunfire from 1985 to 2005, 90 were shot by suspects while 68 either shot themselves or were shot by a fellow officer.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Idiots abound , and unfortunately in some states they can sue . I believe the toddler should receive a " darwan " collage scholarship in daddys name If nothing else it will remind her that she was played as a pawn and does not need to be as stupid as " daddy " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Clearly, he will lose the lawsuit
    I'm not so sure. This is California we are talking about. You get the wrong judge and this could go far.
    NRA Member

I have 0 sympathy for this idiot and i see it all the time ,toddlers not strapped into vehicles some even standing up in the front seat,and then to leave your gun accessible ,this moron only has himself to blame,if his judgement in his personal life is this clouded I feel sorry for the LAPD they must really scrape the bottom of the barrel pretty hard sometimes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am with Kerbouchard on this one; The officer in question should not have left an unsecured weapon around any child.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

can anybody shed light on the details of "350" ADs/NDs? I know that the LAPD is the size of an army but 350. also, it would seem that LAPD officer is as dangerous as the bad guys they are fighting against as in 68/161 = 42%. This figures seem wickedly high. can't really blame it on the pistol used because the department IIRC used 92FS for a long time (w/in the time frame of this report).
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    can anybody shed light on the details of "350" ADs/NDs? I know that the LAPD is the size of an army but 350. also, it would seem that LAPD officer is as dangerous as the bad guys they are fighting against as in 68/161 = 42%. This figures seem wickedly high. can't really blame it on the pistol used because the department IIRC used 92FS for a long time (w/in the time frame of this report).
    And you think the LA Times, one of the most anti-gun newspapers in the country, is an accurate sorce of statistics?

Police records cited by The Times show that of the 161 officers wounded by gunfire from 1985 to 2005, 90 were shot by suspects while 68 either shot themselves or were shot by a fellow officer.
    Only 161 officer injuries is twenty-one years? Considering the amount of gang violence and illegals that seems an extraordinarily positive statistic.

It all comes down to responsibility. Geez---where does that lead? Folks---the public court system is getting tired of it, your fellow citizen is getting tired of it. nobody can answer for your actions but you. Again---zero sympathy. Quit BS'ing around. Folks like this only make things worse on the rest of us. In those moments, I know deep within my heart that they are no longer a part of brotherhood we once understood---but their own faction tearing away at the basics everyone else has worked at for so long. These people are outside the circle, and should expect nothing less than the worst for not being a team player.

Administrator
    What a turd. I guess I can't blame him for trying to make a living in a wheel chair... put the fault of this accident lies squarely on his shoulders. I'm sure this has screwed his kid up mentally too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links