I can't believe I'm saying this.... - Page 4

I can't believe I'm saying this....

This is a discussion on I can't believe I'm saying this.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own Glocks, and carry one. They work. They are uber RELIABLE. They are reasonably accurate, can't compare to my Sigs, but given a choice ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I own Glocks, and carry one. They work. They are uber RELIABLE. They are reasonably accurate, can't compare to my Sigs, but given a choice in lets say,a zombie insurrection, the only sidearm to have is a GLOCK 17,19,26 whatever.
    No other handgun can compare.Period.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    lets say,a zombie insurrection, the only sidearm to have is a GLOCK 17,19,26 whatever.
    No other handgun can compare.Period.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I usually do the layaway thing, that's how I'm able to buy them. Otherwise, there's no way I could.
    That's the way I do it too. My dealer has unlimited pay off terms so it took me 8 months to pay off my AR ... but I got it! As far as Glocks, I've got an OD G19 that I'm pretty fond of. It's probably the sweetest 9mm I've owned. Though I'm still a die hard 1911 man at heart, especially the Commander models.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Glocks are nice, but save the applause and fanfair and go try out an XD. i wanted a glock until i handled an XD. I own 2 now and soon a third.
    Yeah 3rd XD here, have converted a few Glock users to them also. Just more natural of grip.
    I've owned two XDs in the past, the 45 and 9mm Service models. I chose Glock because I don't like the idea of having to send my guns in the mail to get repairs done. I will eventually get another XD pistol though, I like them. I know XD pistols aren't known for breaking often, but eventually there will come a point where I will have to start replacing parts.
    You must not take care of your guns. I have 3 like stated above, and no problems. IF I do have a problem then I have NO issues w/ sending one of them off to SA to be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I don't LIKE Glocks. Never have, probably never will.

That being said, I RESPECT Glocks. They're completely reliable, durable, and accurate.

It's just..........firing a Glock is like scoring with a big girl. Yeah, you'll do it....and enjoy it.....but you won't be telling all your buddies about it.....

I feel the same way, just may not have posted it like that.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I can't argue against the fact that a Glock works up their with the best of 'em, but man they're just so ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Glocks aren't really significantly more reliable than any other semi-auto, including well-tuned 1911s.

Yes they are. Well tuned 1911's? The glocks don't need tuning, and run right out of the box, no break in, no worrying about keeping it lubed properly to make it function with any form of reliability, less maintenance overall, etc. I really like the disclaimer when comparing the glock to a 1911--"well tuned 1911" vs stock glock, but then you have to have a well tuned 1911 to have a chance a the same reliability as the glock right?
    Read the rest of the post. A well-made 1911 is already well-tuned, out of the box. By well-tuned I didn't mean "tweeked". Glocks come out of one factory, made by the people who designed them, etc., so comparing 1911s with Glocks, without some kind of qualifier, is comparing apples and oranges. If 1911s all enjoyed the same production standards, they'd run just as reliably out-of-the box too (and most still do anyway). The bad reputation 1911s have for high-maintenance is mostly due to the fact that lots of people, including those not qualified to do so, make them (often out of spec), and even more commonly, "work" on them. Also, a lot of the after-market parts are not to spec either, and require fitting, adding to the problem when people "tweek" their guns. Do the same thing with the Glock design, and it'll develop a reputation as an unreliable, temperamental gun as well. It's not a platform difference, it's a QC difference that can easily be avoided by sticking with high-quality manufacturers and not messing with it afterwards (just like people with Glocks).

And not all Glocks work right out of the box either, even with their production advantages. I've seen plenty that have "issues". I've run a 3" (supposedly the most "unreliable", even according to 1911 die-hards) stock, out-of-the-box mass produced 1911 through a 1000-round, multi-day course, side-by-side with Glocks, with no cleaning or additional lubrication during that time, and had it run perfectly (as did most of the other 1911s there, all of which were "out-of-the-box" guns - and most of the Glocks did as well) while watching several Glocks malfunction. Don't get me wrong, I think Glocks are fantastic guns, especially for the money. But they're not significantly better than several other designs out there. I've seen Glocks malfunction far more often than Sigs, for instance, though I have other concerns with Sig products. Glock is just one option, with it's own advantages and disadvantages. It's not "Perfection" or anything close to it, despite what the Glock marketing department and the kool-aid drinkers would have us believe.

If you want a really good, cheap gun that will almost always run well right out of the box, and you're willing to accept inferior ergonomics and trigger-pull (both of which can be improved quite a bit on a Glock - but then we're not talking "stock" anymore) to get it, then it's very hard to beat a Glock. On the other hand, if you're not willing to make those trade-offs, and are willing to spend more money up-front rather than modifying it later or training yourself to compensate for an inferior ergonomic and action design, then there are better guns out there for you. But it's totally personal, not an objective "better" or "worse" scenario.
    Last edited by GaryV; July 20th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    It's just..........firing a Glock is like scoring with a big girl. Yeah, you'll do it....and enjoy it.....but you won't be telling all your buddies about it.....
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!! IMO

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I'm officially addicted to Glock pistols. I used to hate them because of their popularity, but now I love them for the same reason, they work. I decided I would bring home a brand new Glock 17 in a couple weeks, so I went down to my FFL dealer and put their last one on layaway. Darn this Kool Aid is so good, I just can't resist the addiction, and believe me I've tried!

I really don't know what I'm going to use the G17 for, it's another gun in the collection. Now I will own a G19, G26, and G17.
    congrats on getting a new firearm, no matter what brand!

I have a 21,30 & 26, will soon (next month) get my 17 I bought through my department for intial duty carry, and I'll get another 26 w/night sights for a BUG, will have to get a 21sf sometime too....maybe Santa.......
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My first Glock was my third gun purchase. It was an impulse buy. I could not get myself to buy one because of the bad mouthing on the forums and the what I thought was ugly look of the gun. The grip angle never bothered me. I now consider a G19 my primary. I have nothing but good things to say about a Glock. They Rock..

As with most of you, I love all guns. But, I can't say that I love them all equally. I have a "form follows function" mentality, that makes Glocks look good to me. Combine that with my strong belief in "Ockhem's Razor", and I guess it's Glocks for me. As far as the looks of my carry gun (G26), all I see is the front sight, and all the BG sees is a flash. And their legendary reliability lets me sleep at night, knowing that if I ever do have to show it to some BG, there is no doubt about it going BANG
    Glock 26/19/17
    Catchy sig line under construction.

Sponsor
    A well-made 1911 is already well-tuned, out of the box. By well-tuned I didn't mean "tweeked". Glocks come out of one factory, made by the people who designed them, etc., so comparing 1911s with Glocks, without some kind of qualifier, is comparing apples and oranges.

No matter how you slice it, the 1911's don't enjoy the same reputation for reliability as the glocks over the long haul.

and you're willing to accept inferior ergonomics and trigger-pull

Thats a rather subjective statement to say the least.

All the reasons you've covered as to why the 1911 isn't as reliable doesn't change the fact that buying one is taking more risk of malfs than a glock on the streets overall.

With a 1911, you feel lucky to get one that runs out of the box and continues to do so for thousands of rds without a malf. With a glock, you feel unlucky to get one that doesn't run right out of the box. The difference is night and day. All the excuses in the world don't change that fact for the majority of the buying public

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Oh well I'm not the majority of the buying public and I'll take the 1911 and my own experiences with it over the Glock.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Oh well I'm not the majority of the buying public and I'll take the 1911 and my own experiences with it over the Glock.
    Ditto.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsor
    You gotta go with what you know folks.

What I base my own decisions on in this matter comes from 32 years of carrying the 1911 platform [ from 1972 to 2004 ], mostly govt and commander models while working the streets [ Colts and SA's ] . That would mean it's likely I've carried that one platform over a longer time period than most have carried a gun posting here, and certainly longer than most who now carry a 1911 platform posting here.

Based on that 32 years of carrying and owning all kinds of 1911's, not one was as reliable as any one of my glocks have been. People can claim the ergos are wrong, triggers aren't acceptable, etc all day long and it doesn't change the fact that the glock platform enjoys a excellent reliability reputation across the board, and the 1911's for the most part do not. There's a reason for that, and I'm not prone to spend 1K or more for a 1911 to be it's "probably as reliable as a glock"

I'm not badmouthing the 1911 platform. If I had major issues with it, I would not have carried it all those years on the streets [ 28 on the streets of the 32 with the 1911 ] when it was my backside on the line or shot it in competitons for many years. I like a finely made 1911, I shoot them very well, but no better than my glocks which I've carried for only 4 years now.

Brownie
    Last edited by Scott; August 15th, 2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: profanity workaround
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

OD*
    What I base my preferences on in this matter comes from 30 years of carrying the 1911 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    while working the streets

Brownie
    What department/agency were you with?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links