I can't believe I'm saying this....

This is a discussion on I can't believe I'm saying this.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 28 years as a PI in Mass [ 77-2004 ] and part time patrol after the academy for two depts over 9 years there from ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I can't believe I'm saying this....

Sponsor
    28 years as a PI in Mass [ 77-2004 ] and part time patrol after the academy for two depts over 9 years there from 91 to 96 and then 98 to 2001.

So you must be about my age to have carried one that long as well. I started with the first one in 72 right after I got out of the Corps. A Colt commander LW and got hooked on the 1911 from there.

It's a long time to carry one platform in anyones book.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    So you must be about my age to have carried one that long as well.
    53yrs and I started around August '78, carried round guns before that. You should remember a time when the 1911 was not made by everybody and their brother, and every new to the market *combat* (you have to remember when combat was the buzz word and not tactical ) handgun was compared to the 1911 for it's legendary reliability.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

+1 on not being made by everybody and their brother. It was Colt or U. S. military contract pistols. Oh, I think AMT may have had one on the market in the mid 70s but never actually saw one.

The cult of the "custom" 1911 arose in the very late 60s', was all the rage in the early 70s gun magazines, and spawned this wretched excess (my opinion) of a class of extremely high-dollar clones that don't really offer much over the original except very large lettering emblazoned on their slides and the ability to suck funds from wallets at rapid rates. The original goodness of the 1911 has been somewhat obscured by all the fanciness.

Got my first 1911 in 1978. I'm two years younger than you are OD. Never was in law enforcement. I've toted the 1911 to a limited extent but mostly fired lots of rounds through them; at the range, in competition (bullseye), and tons of plinking fun at our old place. My plain janes worked every time. I still have them after all these years and they still work.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Congrats on your new purchase...enjoy!!!!
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    53yrs and I started around August '78, carried round guns before that. You should remember a time when the 1911 was not made by everybody and their brother, and every new to the market *combat* (you have to remember when combat was the buzz word and not tactical ) handgun was compared to the 1911 for it's legendary reliability.
    I certainly do remember all that. Had many a fine Colt 70 and 80 series. Two of my favorites were that CLW Commander and a 1943 Colt govt model that I had new guts installed.

I ended up collecting the ww1 and ww2 era 45's. The two most prized were the 1917 Colt, all original with 70% finish left, the other a 1943 two tone slide Colt with 85% finish left and all origianal, of course.

Combat, and not tactical-----the memories of it all huh?

The cult of the "custom" 1911 arose in the very late 60s', was all the rage in the early 70s gun magazines, and spawned this wretched excess (my opinion) of a class of extremely high-dollar clones that don't really offer much over the original except very large lettering emblazoned on their slides and the ability to suck funds from wallets at rapid rates. The original goodness of the 1911 has been somewhat obscured by all the fanciness.

Yes sir, I also carried stock Colts [ milspec configurations, never liked the NM models for their adjustable sights and tighter tolerances ]. You fellas will remember when it was 7 round mags only back then as well. One of my all time favorites was the SS govt Colt plane jane.

Back then, we didn't have night sights options either.

Ahh, you guys are getting me to think about opening the safe and dragging one of them puppies out.

Brownie

OD*
    AzQkr, bmcgilvray...

Fond memories, amigos.

AzQkr, would love to see your USGIs sometime, when you have the chance. I recently acquired another USGI, a clean RR/Colt-RIA rework.

~ Tiger McKee

Sponsor
    OD,

I sold all the collectables Colts from the war years 4 years ago when I moved out here to the desert. Made a handsome profit on them after having them for near 15 years. Back in 88, I picked up that all original 1943 Colt for 400.00, sold it for 1900.00. That one actually shot several plate matches around 1993 or so. It was reliable enough to do so.

Still have two [ One 70 and one 80 series ] colt gov models, the 70 series LW Colt commander mentioned earlier, and an SA green park milspec from 1982. That SA has been rebuilt internally once already.

Good times back then carrying the Colts. Good memories in these last few posts gentlemen, I appreciate the opportunity to remember the "good old days" with the 1911's.

Brownie

OD*
    It is very tempting to sell some of them

Thank you for the reply.

~ Tiger McKee

Sponsor
    The best one I had was a Remington Rand from ww2 that was still in cosmoline. Hardened some at that, but still a gunk/gooey mess

I got that RR for 250.00 in 82 and won't embarrass anyone with what I sold it for. It would be nice to still own them if truth be known, but I had them long enough, and the guy who bought em babies them like I did, probably for his own sons enjoyment 30 years from now.

Brownie

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I recently acquired another USGI, a clean RR/Colt-RIA rework.
    Well duh, it's an Ithaca/Colt, not Remington Rand (I had just received some minty RR parts from friend on another board, musta been contemplating on them )

1915 Colt/Ithaca, Rock Island Arsenal rework;

~ Tiger McKee

Sponsor
    Nice piece of history there sir.

Brownie

OD*
    Thank you, Sir.

~ Tiger McKee

Funny thread about being addicted to Glocks. For years I cursed the fact that my agency would only allow us to carry Glocks off-duty. Recently, we got a new chief and now we can carry (within reason) whatever we want off-duty. Guess what? I still carry my trusty G27 that I've had for over 10 years. I really haven't found anything that matches its firepower/size/price point ratio.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links