Sleep Shooting?

Sleep Shooting?

This is a discussion on Sleep Shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So as I was trying to daze off to sleep last night I tossed and turned and glanced at my nightstand and just happened to ...

Thread: Sleep Shooting?

Sleep Shooting?

So as I was trying to daze off to sleep last night I tossed and turned and glanced at my nightstand and just happened to think about my firearm. Most of us have a firearm with in very easy access from the bed. What I was thinking was what would happen if you while sleeping were to seize the firearm and use it or something. I know it sounds far fetched and out of a movie, however I have a very actice imagination and often dream about CCW scenario's and often about home invasion scenario's. I'm sure others here have similar dreams. I don't think it's too out there to think some one who has a pattern of sleep walking while still sleeping having a dream and getting up and grabbing the gun still being in his dream but sleep walking around. Just a thought anybody else think it's possible or worry about it actually happen?
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

Administrator

True Story

True Story and from another forum.
    BTW ~ This was a serious post and not a joke.
    I mentioned this before on our CombatCarry.com forum.
    The guy who was in a Deep Sleep and dreamed that the phone was ringing & then got slightly "more awake" and realized that he had actually "Sleep Answered His GLOCK" - He discovered that he had "nightstand firearm" held up to his head.
    If anybody is a Vivid Dreamer (to that degree) then they would probably be better served (and live much longer) with a can of Pepper Spray for their Night Time Defense Weapon.

We have so many things to worry about!!!

I had that concern about a nightstand gun.
    When I first started regularly putting one there I used a semi without a round in the chamber...figuring even if I did pick it up in my sleep I wouldn't rack the slide.
    I'm not a vivid dreamer...I rarely dream at all...so after a couple months of no unconcious gun incidents I now leave it on the nightstand the way I carry it...ready.

I do keep it on the far side of the nightstand though.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad
    When I first started regularly putting one there I used a semi without a round in the chamber...figuring even if I did pick it up in my sleep I wouldn't rack the slide.
    I was sitting here trying to think of something hard to do while asleep, but easy awake, and that should work better than anything I could think of (at least this morning!).
    Last edited by rstickle; November 19th, 2005 at 03:17 PM.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I recall an incident where a lady shot herself in the head with a .25 that was on her nightstand. In her asleep state she mistook it for her nasal inhaler. That was her story and she was sticking to it. Sorry no link anymore.

We had a guy in basic who was boxing in his sleep. He looked awake, but he was really out cold. His military career ended that night. The Army doesn't keep people who can do that. We finally woke him up with a mop handle. My mom would walk in her sleep. Step dad found her walking down the street one night. After that the deadbolts were locked and the keys were out of them. Fortunately it was just them at home so not bad.

The worst I do in my sleep is talk when I'm really stressed. So I keep a 1911 on the nightstand chambered safety on. I spend enough time in hotels that when I'm home I'd probably forget I had a gun on the nightstand until I really woke up.

I'd say if you are prone to being able to do things in your sleep a ready gun should maybe in a handsafe or action open magazine out? Although I think some people wouldn't be slowed much by either of these.

-Scott-

I personally use a microvault with the combination type lock. I don't fathom how anyone could remember a sequence of 5 numbers and punch them out in time without conscious thought. It may be quick access but that's just because I use this vault every single day multiple times. There's no way anyone could do it in their sleep.

I agree with the combination lock pistol box idea. It will also keep the gun out of kids hands. I always need to gather up my pistols and lock them up when I have anybody over with there kids. I plan on getting 2 or 3 after the holidays.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

locking up is a good idea if children are in the house

A normal person is temporarily paralyzed by suppression of motor nerve impulses while dreaming. Rapid eye movement is the only external clue that one is dreaming. You may dream you're running an obstacle course, but your spouse won't feel you spazzing around in the bed.

I think there's no chance that I would fire a weapon while sleeping. Even so, I place my pistol so I must move to grab it, just to make sure I don't roll over on it and have an Unplanned Sleep Discharge or put a Glock-shaped dent in my back.

Assistant Administrator
    I would certainly be leary if I had any tendency to carry out actions in sleep - quite the opposite is the case - I am ''out of it'', except for occasionally (so wife says) engaging in very profound conversations, with ''someone'' LOL!

My piece resides on floor just where my dangled right arm will drop to when slid out from covers.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I ahve never walked in my sleep since being a kid. Don't see it as a problem for me. As for others who do sleep walk, i would suggest the lock box or empty chamber as good steps for safer sleep.

~Thread Jack. Those Micro Vault style safes- $50.00 at Academy. I love 'em.

Thread Jack over~
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I would suggest either pistol is three steps away or far enough where you would have to stretch some what to get it.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links