I have a new obsession....10/22

This is a discussion on I have a new obsession....10/22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recieved a gift card for my birthday last Sat. to go buy a new Ruger 10/22, so I did. Well, after work today I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a new obsession....10/22

I recieved a gift card for my birthday last Sat. to go buy a new Ruger 10/22, so I did. Well, after work today I took it to the range for the first time and to sight in the cheap but decent bsa red dot I also bought for it. Now I can see how people get hooked on these! What a blast to shoot! Not to metion cheap ammo. Now just have to modify it a little to suit me better, mags, stock, etc. If you don't have one of these, go buy one, it's the most fun $200 can buy!
    Attached Images

They're great. Have had one in the family for years. Used to shoot it in the back yard when I was smaller.

VIP Member
    Yes they are a lot of fun. Enjoy.

They are fun! Where did you get your cheap red dot, and what kind is it?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Congrats on the new purchase. I've always wanted a 10/22, but I have so many .22s already that I just can't justify another one.

I have that same BSA Red Dot on my Mini-14. I bought it on a whim and have to say I am impressed with it. Well, I guess it's my wife's now, since she decided she likes to shoot it. We call it her zombie rifle.

Anyway, the Red Dot holds zero well and I'm still on the original battery. The 5moa dot is not made for precision, but neither is the Mini-14. Still, I guarantee my wife can hit a zombie size target with it out to 200yds. :-)

Good luck with the new addition. If ammo keeps going up, methinks we'll all be shooting .22s more.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Congratulations on the new acquisition. 10/22s are great little rifles and you're right, they are addictive. If there's any disadvantage to a 10/22, it's the number of aftermarket parts available for them. You start out with a nice, good shooting, inexpensive little 22 and the next thing you know, you end up with something like this that I don't even want to think about how much I've got invested in it.

While every rifle is different, you might want to try the Wolf Match Extra ammunition. I tried just about every brand out there trying to find what mine liked best, and the Wolf Match Extra won out by producing accuracy like this
    (20 rounds, 100 yards, benchrest).

Have fun (I have no doubt you will)

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Congratulations on the new acquisition. 10/22s are great little rifles and you're right, they are addictive. If there's any disadvantage to a 10/22, it's the number of aftermarket parts available for them. You start out with a nice, good shooting, inexpensive little 22 and the next thing you know, you end up with something like this that I don't even want to think about how much I've got invested in it.

While every rifle is different, you might want to try the Wolf Match Extra ammunition. I tried just about every brand out there trying to find what mine liked best, and the Wolf Match Extra won out by producing accuracy like this
    (20 rounds, 100 yards, benchrest).

Have fun (I have no doubt you will)

Hoss

WOW! that's one impressive grouping! and nice rifle too!

Welcome to the world of 10/22s be carful and hide your wallet very well. this can get expensive.
    10/22s are the ultimate plinking gun. No matter what if im just going out to practice with my PT140 and Colt .38s my 10/22 will have some rounds run through it.

Watch some dissasembly Videos on Youtube and you can learn quickly how to take it apart and back together. You can polish the hammer and sear.

Pick up a bolt buffer. always worth it

Find out what bulk your gun likes best some will work better than others. If you pick up high cap mags get a loader.

Mine i have around $100.00 into it and some love lol

I can set up Paintballs on golf tees at 50yrds and kill them all day long.
    I also crafted my stock instead of buying one not too hard to do just takes a bit o time

I have 2 10/22 one is a USST commemorative 1st edition has the blue hammer forged barrel w/match trigger group and a 10/22 i built from one I bought a 20" ss match bull barrel and an oversize stock they shoot really well and i find the federal bulk ammo feeds flawless the remingtons had feeding problems like the cases weren't sized right
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I really like that DIY stock, Billy.

If your interested to see how i made it i kinda kept track here
    Warning: Crude stock building - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I bought a 10/22 not too long ago. It is accurate, but mine likes to double feed for some reason.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Billy, that stock looks great! I ordered the fiberforce stock for my marlin model 60 two days ago. Soon we shall see how that looks!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I have two 10/22 target models. One I turned into an ultra lightweight with a Hogue rubber stock and a carbon fiber barrel...nice plinker but too light for silhouette matches..it's the backyard varmint special, and I did my own trigger work on it. The other I have installed a Green Mountain heavy fluted with match chamber setting in a Boyd's pepper laminate thumbhole stock for silhouette. I have extended mag releases and auto bolt releases on both, and buffered pins. Barrel swaps are easy on these and most parts installs are straight forward DIY. If anyone would like to make an auto bolt release using their stock bolt release, I'd try to talk you through it or show what needs to be done instead of you buying one. Or you can compare the images below and figure out what needs to be removed. It's a good mod for any 10/22!

STOCK
    Last edited by Ram Rod; July 18th, 2008 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    They are fun! Where did you get your cheap red dot, and what kind is it?
    It's made by BSA, picked it up at Walmart for $29.00. Works great so far. It zeroed in quickly and has 11 brightness settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links