Dan Wesson Revolvers. Any Good?

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson Revolvers. Any Good? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the quality/durability of Dan Wesson revolvers, in particular the Model 15, .357mag? Is $275 too much to pay ...

Thread: Dan Wesson Revolvers. Any Good?

Question Dan Wesson Revolvers. Any Good?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the quality/durability of Dan Wesson revolvers, in particular the Model 15, .357mag?

Is $275 too much to pay for one? I looked on GB and the cheapest was $300 and it was in bad shape, most were over $400, but I don't know anything about them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I grew up with one. My dad had one for about 30 years. It was great, good fit and finish. Very accurate. CZ now owns the Dan Wesson name so there is no warranty or service for an older model.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 17th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    Exellent model for an exellent price.

I've got one with the 6 inch vent heavy ribbed barrel. Very accurate.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I guess I might take a chance and get it. Maybe I can even work out a trade with the guy. I'll have to take a better look at it and check the bore, action tightness, and timing.

I think it might make a good backup house gun or truck gun.
    I wouldn't mind having a full size revolver for occasional carry. My 6" Ruger is a bit much to try to conceal unless I used a shoulder holster under a coat, which I don't think of as practical in day to day situations.

I mostly shoot 38spl in my .357s for practice anyway, so I probably won't wear it out. I have never broken a revolver yet and I have shot a bunch of ammo in them through the years. Heck, I've had Rossi, Iver Johnson, RG and some other not so great guns, but they always worked when I pulled the trigger. I guess that's why I tend to like revolvers a lot.

Maybe if something does break I can find a good gunsmith to fix it. If he can still get parts. If not, it'll make a nice paper weight. :-)

My God yes they are good, and the price is too.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I am a S&W rev man myself but I always regreeted passing on a D.W. with three barrels in a presentation case for $350 years ago!! Man I would still like to find one of these. Just so the OP knows D.W is known for interchangeable barrels, one gun and you can have a 2,4, 6" barrel. This is a good price if the gun is in decent shape I would jump on it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I have one my Dad purchased in the late '80s. Without any work done to it I've shot at deer targets 100 yards for fun and usually hit the kill zone. For fun I said so don't everyone pile on me. They are supposed to be one of the most accurate revolvers you can get because the barrel is "stretched" due to the interchangeable barrel design. The barrel is screwed into the frame and then there is the nut on the end of the barrel stretching it tight and maintaining it's trueness even while heated from shooting.

They're great guns and that's a pretty good price.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Thanks for the insight so far guys. I think I'll make it over there and probably get it tomorrow if it checks out ok. God knows, another gun is just what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I have one my Dad purchased in the late '80s. Without any work done to it I've shot at deer targets 100 yards for fun and usually hit the kill zone. For fun I said so don't everyone pile on me. They are supposed to be one of the most accurate revolvers you can get because the barrel is "stretched" due to the interchangeable barrel design. The barrel is screwed into the frame and then there is the nut on the end of the barrel stretching it tight and maintaining it's trueness even while heated from shooting.
    Correct, with the barrel being under tension at both ends it makes for a very accurate handgun!!

I hate to be a negative Nancy... but I had a mod 15 that was a dog.Locked up all the time..had it to a gun smith 3 times and could n't get it right.This was an older used one.....a buddy bought a new one(when DW came back a few years ago)and he had wicked problems.Sent it to DW on his dime like 4 times....they finally gave him credit to get any other DW gun,because they just couldn't get it right.....I'm not usually a gun or company basher,but I would never buy a DW again.
    BTW ,he eventually got a Pointman(1911)and after one rane session,the front sight fell off.
    Check the gun out thoroghly before you buy.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Links