Iraq/Afganistan and ammo prices.

This is a discussion on Iraq/Afganistan and ammo prices. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that we are in the process of bringing some of our troops home, do you think we should see a drop in ammo prices ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Now that we are in the process of bringing some of our troops home, do you think we should see a drop in ammo prices in the near future? Particularly .223

perhaps, but remember, china is grabbing everything it can get its hands on. Ammo (raw materials: copper, brass, lead) is like oil to them....find it, take it, and we just sit back and let 'em.

JD
    Administrator
    Probably not, I don't think ammo prices have ever gone back down after a hike.

Administrator
    I doubt prices will come down much, but they might. I think the biggest chance of decently priced ammo will come from surplus, but that could be years away, and its still a long shot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd expect ammo companies to develop new materials over prices coming down.

That's where my bet comes...i think Winchester, Remington, etc will go more of the WOLF route using steel, etc... brass is really where the cost is.

I think what 762 said is probably correct. I am certain that the use of ammo in the war effort in general has had an effect on ammo prices, however the real cause for the price increases acros the board, including shotgun shells, has been the rise in prices for raw materials like copper, steel, brass, and lead.

Demand for these comodities is dictated more by the fact that India and China are buying up as much as they can in order to build their industrial infrastructure.

However, if the wars do end (which I doubt will happen) we may see some cheaper prices on excess inventories of milsurp ammo, but I don't think it will amount to much or last long. I don't think ammo manufacturers are purposely raising their prices just to make more money, I think it's a result of increases in the price they pay for raw materials and increases in the cost of energy inputs associated with manufacture and delivery. The raw materials for reloading have increased in lock step with manufactured ammo, so that may be an indicator that my hypothesis is correct.

I remember seeing a tour of the Federal ammo plant on that show with Jim Scouten (sp?) a couple of years ago. The guy running the plant said that raw materials prices had increased then, but they had absorbed it for a time without raising prices. He also said that prices would have to be raised soon. Two years later, here we are.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

You won't be seeing surplus ammo for years as the military builds up their small arms stockpile it will be years until they start swapping out old inventory with newer stuff,Also the military doesn't shoot 40,or 357,ormuch 45acp anymore and those prices have skyrocketed,so ammo prices are higher because cost of raw materials are higher,I reload and even the basic components as far as primers and powder have doubled and tripled in the last 10 years,in the last 3 years lead bullet prices have almost doubled
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Should we call on our wonderful 110th congress to investigate "big ammo"?

it's raw materials and shipping...ammo is HEAVY in bulk...diesel prices don't help. and those living in Kali will get a double whammy when the ammo tax law is put into place.

Iraq/Afganistan and ammo prices
    I really don't see the relationship there. Resources is the main thing, and shipping costs so long as fuel prices keep going the way they are.

Administrator
    You can always join the green gang, plenty of ammo to go around and shipping is free.
    "Just blame Sixto"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You know a while back Small Arms Review (SAR) did an article about Polymer cased 556. This was about oo 3 years ago. It was a Really cool Idea! however they found out that guns that had Fluted chambers wheren't to keen on the casings, but it ran fairly well in 16's/15. Your HK family of guns didn't like it though. The whole idea back then was not the cost of the brass but to design a cartridge thats weight was lighter then an individual unit. Their idea was because in combat ounces=pounds. Therefore the polymer stuff was 1/3 of the weight of the brass. Pretty neat idea however, we will see what happens.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    You know a while back Small Arms Review (SAR) did an article about Polymer cased 556. This was about oo 3 years ago. It was a Really cool Idea! however they found out that guns that had Fluted chambers wheren't to keen on the casings, but it ran fairly well in 16's/15. Your HK family of guns didn't like it though. The whole idea back then was not the cost of the brass but to design a cartridge thats weight was lighter then an individual unit. Their idea was because in combat ounces=pounds. Therefore the polymer stuff was 1/3 of the weight of the brass. Pretty neat idea however, we will see what happens.
    Interesting.... I'm no chemist, but I wonder what would happen once that chamber is heated up after a few hundred rounds. I couldn't imagine any polymer not getting at least sticky.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Funny this came up...

The metal casing don't expand as well as brass, so this is why many high end ammo manufacturers will not dive into it because the gases can escape backwards when the primer ignites the powder thus causing poor performance.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    SIXTO,
    Heres the Article:

Its pretty neat http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/Natecammo.pdf
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I doubt prices will come down much, but they might. I think the biggest chance of decently priced ammo will come from surplus, but that could be years away, and its still a long shot.
    It has been my understanding that the US military cannot sell its surplus ammunition intact (a bill passed during the Clinton era) is that correct or am I full of....well you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links