All the Guns You Should Own...

This is a discussion on All the Guns You Should Own... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Out off all the guns we took (those are just mine) My marlin 39A 22 seen more rounds then all of them put together!! A ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All the Guns You Should Own...

Out off all the guns we took (those are just mine)
    My marlin 39A 22 seen more rounds then all of them put together!!
    A 4x scope on a .22 is a dangerous combo I wouldn't want to be without.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

If you mean survival in a 'Mad Max' type of way, all these guns would work, with a lot of ammo. And big magazines. And concealed carry.

If you mean survival by living off the land, and an occasional trespasser, all you really need is a 22 rifle (squirrel, fox, rabbit), and a 12ga shotgun (deer, pheasant, turkey, duck). Don't really need a sidearm, just carry a long gun with a sling.

If you live out west or further north, add a bigger rifle (elk, moose, bear, sheep, etc.)

If the dung hits the fan, I'd be nowhere near the big cities. Country boys can survive. Everyone else can go ahead and whack each other.

I'm going to build a custom wheel barrow loaded with all my ammo and all the guns i own and leave... Realistically if everything went Way wrong, Id probably grab the 9mm IWB, grab a semi-auto 12 gauge and cut the barrel off for close quarters or the short pump action..maybe the .22 pistol. Hands would be full with 1 shot gun

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    I'm going to build a custom wheel barrow ...
    I know you are joking, but I sort of did the same thing for real... I have a utility trailer I use for house hold chores and hauling dirt bikes back and forth, but I've also set it up in a modular sort of way to be able to toss all kinds of goodies in crates and drag it away to my farm or wherever I'm bugging out too.
    It seems a little excessive I realize, but it didn't cost me much of anything but a few hours work and it has come in handy for camping or those massive trips to the shoot houses.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    CCW pistol
    12 ga
    .22 LR
    AK-47/AR-15

In that order. Reloading equipment would be a huge plus.
    I agree with the above list, but maybe in a different order. I would probably add a .50 muzzleloader to the list, as it is very easy to stockpile the needed ammunition components and I love taking deer sized game with them as they don't run to far.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I agree with the above list, but maybe in a different order. I would probably add a .50 muzzleloader to the list, as it is very easy to stockpile the needed ammunition components and I love taking deer sized game with them as they don't run to far.

NCH
    I've never really thought of my muzzle loader in that way, but you are right. Some of the modern inline rifles have performance approaching a modern cartridge gun...it defiantly something to think about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    muzzeloader...

at least if you had to, you could make gunpowder. You could even melt lead and make usable projectiles or use whatever fits in the barrel.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    muzzeloader...

at least if you had to, you could make gunpowder. You could even melt lead and make usable projectiles or use whatever fits in the barrel.
    Good point... maybe a blunderbuss would be even better.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I guess I misread the title, because I agreed. All the guns, you should own. Yes.... I should own them all.

If I had to trim it down to the minimum:
    a 12 or 20 guage shotgun (for defense)
    a good dear rifle (for longer off defense)
    a .22 rifle (for small game)
    a good handgun (for defense and a sign of authority)
    and the knowledge that, no matter how much you stockpile ammo, these only get you through a short-term emergency. If the emergency is longer term, then every round you fire from anything except the .22 should have an immediate effect of bringing in more ammunition (shooting large game to trade for ammo, if needed) and every round of .22 shot should bring in food.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    This is what my personal list looks like.

.22 rifle and long barreled .22 pistol
    youth sized combo .22/.410 shotgun
    medium caliber revolver (.38/.357 to .44) and same caliber lever action carbine
    common caliber semi-auto pistol (9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP), preferably one each
    30 caliber (.308, .30-06, .338 Win, .338 Federal) rifle
    .410, 12, and 20 ga shotguns
    AR-15s in such quantity to outfit all adult members of immediate and local family, plus one extra
    non lethal/less lethal deterrents and arms (paintball gun loaded with pepperballs, bean bags for shotgun, enough barbed wire to encircle the property)

Yeah, that's about it... plus several thousand extra rounds for each.

Hey, I can dream, right? It's not unreasonable... right now that's less than a dozen long guns and a half dozen handguns, many of which can share roles, ammunition, and magazines. .223 is capable of taking deer if necessary, and .338 Win Mag/.338 Federal can handle pretty much anything on this continent. .22 LR and .410 ga shotguns can be handled by younger members with ease.

A lot of folks focus on the need for stockpiles of firearms and ammunition, but many neglect to gather food, water, fuel for vehicles, heating, cooking, and power generation, clothing and repair supplies, a full compliment of tools for mechanical and home repair and the knowledge to use them, and many other necessities of self sufficiency that many people today have no experience with or need for in everyday life. Seriously now... how many 18 year olds today can change their own oil, let alone diagnose problems and replace components on a vehicle? "Uhh... it sounds funny and the light came on" is more and more common. I speak with such contempt because I *was* one of those 18 year olds. Sure, I had an understanding of mechanics, but I was clueless in the practical application of it. I didn't know how an alternator worked, or why an engine rotated in a specific direction - but I fixed all that by buying an old VW. That's what's wrong with kids nowadays; they're handed reliable, relatively new vehicles when they come off the mammary and head off to college. Every 18 year old should be issued a set of tools and a 20 year old car when they graduate high school, and told that until they get it running and inspected, they're not going to college. That's one heck of a summer project, and would definitely instill into them a sense of personal responsibility and pride.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    muzzeloader...

But it should be a flintlock unless you are going to make precussion caps.

How about adding a long bow
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    My own list

22LR pistol and rifle

Revolver in common caliber for your area (.357 for me)

Auto pistol in common caliber and of popular type (easy to find ammo and parts)

12 ga shotgun Pump or double barrel

Center fire BA rifle in common caliber (.30-06 or .308 for me)

Center fire Battle Rifle preferably of the same caliber as your BA rifle
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Works for me. I know several guys at work that make their own. The arrows are the trickiest part. Some of them even knap their own flint and make good looking broadheads.

This area is abundant in novaculite.

Novaculite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    But it should be a flintlock unless you are going to make precussion caps.

Yeah, a flintlock would be best. I think I'd rather try my luck at making gunpowder, instead of making sraight arrows.

If one actually needed to gather small game for survival, you would be best served by having some traps and snares set. Hunting could become detremental if the calories expended on your quest outnumber those aquired. I believe the same may be true with fishing, so bushlines, nets, traps and trot lines would be best. Not to mention the time saved that would be needed to accomplish other necessary daily needs.

You just have to watch out for the brain suckers when your checking your traps.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

One of the great gun writers (don't remember which) said that all you really need is a .22, a 12g, and a 30-06. Add a concealable handgun and that would about do it.

I would not argue with adding an evil black rifle, but not the .50. Out to about 600 yards, the 30-06 will do just as well, except for disabling vehicles. Since you might need the vehicle, why not just disable the driver, something a 30-06 will do very, very well?

An accurate air rifle would be quite handy for taking small game without alerting people or the other animals, so would be well worth having.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links