All the Guns You Should Own... - Page 4

All the Guns You Should Own...

This is a discussion on All the Guns You Should Own... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; CCW pistol, plus a spare. Slightly smaller CCW pistol, plus a spare. Pocket pistol, plus a spare. .22 pistol .22 revolver Hunting revolver (maybe a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    CCW pistol, plus a spare.
    Slightly smaller CCW pistol, plus a spare.
    Pocket pistol, plus a spare.
    .22 pistol
    .22 revolver
    Hunting revolver (maybe a few different calibers)
    How about some CCW revolvers to mix it up a bit
    A few AKs
    A few SKSs
    A bunch of AR-15s
    A bunch of .30-06s
    A few hunting rifles
    For a start.......and enough mags and ammo so that your children's children's children's (etc....) will never have to worry about it.....

Austin

Should handle pretty much anything I'd run into.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Full Size CCW Pistol
    Mid Size CCW Pistol
    Small Size CCW Pistol
    Ultra Small Size CCW Pistol
    J Frame Revolver
    .22 Plinking Handgun
    AR-15
    AK
    12g Shotgun
    Bolt Action .308
    .22 Rifle
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

My situation is a bit different. I live in a very secure house that has some woods with game on it already. I just need to stock up on food and water. I'd be bugging in more than bugging out.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Most people are thinking tottaly wrong here. When things get ugly...
    For TEOTWAWKI you need a suppressed rifle with a night/day vision scope.

With a quiet rifle and a good scope...anything you need can be easily taken.

Amen.

With that set-up, you can *take* whatever you need.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My current "arsenal" is as follows:
    Hand guns: XD 45
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Beretta 92FS
    Long guns:
    Bushmaster AR 15
    Ruger 10/22
    Shotguns:
    12 gauge pistol grip
    12 gauge full stock- Winchester 1300

I plan to add an AK47, 22 hand gun (probably a Ruger Mark III), and an air gun.
    Of course, I'll keep getting hand guns. I want an XD 45 Tactical (I have the service). a Glock 21 and a 36, and a revolver, probably a S&W in .357

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Of course, none of this is much good without water and food to keep you alive long enough to use it.
    I prepared heavily for Y2K, and am very glad to have been wrong. No need to beat that dead horse. But as I DID prepare for TEOTWAWKI and later had the luxury of reviewing my decisions, I may have something to contribute.
    • If a bad guy wants your stuff, UNLESS you're in a compound with a fair number of others who can keep guard, he's likely to be successful (you have to sleep sometime).
    • If he has a deer rifle and a scope, he can take you out from cover a LONG ways away.
    • Money spent on firearms means money you can't spend on food or a water system. Or on tools or other keep-alive stuff. I spent GOBS on firearms (early in the preparation process, while I still had money and was still in the city), which should have been spent on other stuff.

All that said, however, here are the conclusions I came to then, and I still think that the list is a good one for the homesteader:
    • Handgun for close-in and immediately-accessible purposes (we bought a couple of Ruger SP-101 357s). In normal life this could be for as benign a purpose as firing a shot to remind the dog that he's not supposed to leave the farm - ours returns when he hears a shot.
    • 22LR rifle for varmints and small game (ours was a 10-22, I think)
    • Shotgun for bigger varmints of all types (we bought a Remington 870 12ga police magnum)
    • Deer rifle (Winchester 30-06)

I think that if finances were a concern, I might get a rifled barrel for the shotgun, and buy slugs for deer rather than a deer rifle. I would also STRONGLY encourage you to let wife try a 12ga before purchasing: if the goal was for her to use it, I failed miserably. We now have a 20ga instead. Also, the 22 pistol would be good for practice considering the ammo prices.

Again, if SHTF, you need close-in support (think Apartment Building with concertina wire around it) rather than isolation. There is a great series on another forum from a fellow who documents bad times in Brasil. If someone has the link, please post it - it sounds a whole lot more realistic than any of the scenarios I had in mind.

After thinking about it somemore, I think the first word of the title says it "All".

I'd think the following would be reasonable:
    • Two of the primary defensive handgun, each broken in and a known quantity. ie, CZ P-01 9mm.
    • One defensive rifle for the sort of "rifle" situations you'd be in. ie, Lever-action Marlin 1894 .44mag, AR-15, AK-47 or similar semi-auto.
    • One defensive shotgun, for close-in situations needing more power than the handgun. ie, Remington 870 12ga.

Some would add a plinking/truck rifle of smaller caliber (ie, a Ruger 10/22 or similar). Some would add more guns for hunting, entertainment, depending. But those are the basics from this vantage point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

New Member Array Defensor Pacis's Avatar

My Two Cents Worth . . .

I guess I'll chime in on this thread too.

For the survivalist in us all!

My suggestion is that what you should have in your personal arsenal should be a weapons system that the armed forces carry, i.e., handgun (.45ACP/9mm), AR plat form (currently 5.56mm), and shotgun (My favorite is a Remington 870 12Ga.). The reason for this is, is the availability of ammunition and parts should one need access to ammunition and when ones weapons system breaks down. Due to the large volume of such firearms, you'll have greater access to similar ammunition and parts. Portability of ones weapons system is important. That being stated, if one has the money, and interest, what the hell, go ahead and get a .50 BMG and any other scoped rifle plat form, i.e., 7.62 (.308) so you can reach out and touch the enemy.

Regards,

Defensor Pacis
    Evil triumphs when good people do nothing!

Train Hard, Fight Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    One thing about Defensive Carry Forum is that .22 receives very little play here.
    Yes, I was surprised to see .22LR in so many responses, given the lack of discussion of that calibre in the past. Can I ask why so many mention it? Is it because it's so inexpensive for practicing fundamentals, or are there other reasons?
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Having a rifle chambered in .22LR is always a good thing. It's a common and capable caliber that is a valuable asset in a survival situation. Sure, it's not ideal for self defense purposes, but that's not what I'm talking about. Most small and medium game can be taken with a well placed .22 round, up to and including whitetail deer. Is it a quick, clean kill? Not always... but in a survival situation it beats throwing a rock. Don't forget, most folks probably have a .22 under the bed or stuffed in the closet somewhere, even if they aren't active shooters or hunters. Not only that, but ammunition is so compact and inexpensive it is not unreasonable to have tens of thousands of rounds on hand. This enables you to use this ammo as trade bait with those that are less prepared, or did not consider firearms in their preparations. In fact, I would probably go so far as to have a few inexpensive .22 rifles on hand to trade to trusted individuals for goods or services.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Hmm. Okay I'm going on the assumption that this is a SHTF/Bug-Out scenario. But hey, it still works for a list of what to have around the house. There's a lot of really good answers here. I'm still not sold on a BMG yet, though. Obviously I don't have many of these but I'm a college student and training with what I have comes first.

Handgun - Pick whatever works for you but make sure its durable. Sig, HK, Glock, Springfield. Obviously there are others but those are four examples.
    Battle Rifle - Again..whatever works for you. Something proven in a common caliber. .223, 7.62 NATO or Soviet (x39)...
    12 Gauge - Something with a stock and 5+ round capacity.
    .22 Rifle - Perfect for taking rabbits or squirrels if the need arises.
    Hunting Bow or a Crossbow - Ammo won't be around forever and sometimes you just need to be silent.
    Air Rifle - Probably one of the best suggestions I have seen on here. People talk about BB's or pellets being plentiful - but if it comes down to it? Hell, find a pebble.

The important thing to keep in mind when discussing things like this is that your firearms and tools will still need to function when they are dirty and you have long run out of lube and Hoppes. One can debate the worthiness of an AR/M-16 in this scenario all day. That's missing the point. You have your opinions and gut feelings and most importantly - you know your individual weapon. What needs to be considered is how well your tools are going to work after possibly having to roll around in the dirt or an accidental drop in a muddy creek. Ammunition supplies are secondary because if your guns won't cycle or fire in the first place then you have an expensive paperweight.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Hmmm, minimal guns one should have

Two Glock 17 9mm pistols with about 5 mags each/ 5000 rds ammo
    One quality AK47 (i.e. Arsenal) with at least 10 -30 rd mags/5000 rds

Now if you want to add:
    12 g pump or auto SG hi cap 7+1 or 8+1 (i.e mossberg mariner) 500 "00'
    buckshot rds/ no slugs you have a rifle!
    .22 autopistol ruger mkii-iii
    .45 acp such as a sig 220 /XD45/Glock 21sf (NOT a 1911, you want reliability!)
    M4/AR type rifle ( sig 556, S&W MP15) 10 mags /5k ammo
    .357/.38 7-8 shot revolver (S&W and Taurus make several models)

Surviving in Argentina

Surviving in Argentina after economic collapse.

These are amazing blog entries that everyone here should read.

(as requested)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links