Revolver for deer hunting

This is a discussion on Revolver for deer hunting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After fighting with the Social Security system for 3 years, they finally deposited quite a large sum of cash in my account. I have hi ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver for deer hunting

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar

Revolver for deer hunting

After fighting with the Social Security system for 3 years, they finally deposited quite a large sum of cash in my account. I have hi power rifles, commie guns, many handguns, bows and arrows, plinking guns. Most of that money is staying in the account but I'm going to get a hand cannon for deer hunting. Big, corn fed Kansas whitetails. Law says it must be at least .23 caliber and case length of at least 1.280 inches. I would like it to be a longer barrel revolver, capable of mounting a scope to aid my aging eyes. What do you all think? Go for it. Spend my money and thank you.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

2. Remove Ads

Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag Stailess 8" Barrel...I love mine!!!!!!!
    I have the same gun in 7 1/2" Stainless Super Blackhawk SA Hunter model...Its sweet too..you might like that one better...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Another vote for the Redhawk. Mine has a 7 1/2" barrel in .44 Magnum and is topped with a 2x Leupold EER scope. It works for me.
    You can never have enough magazines or ammo.

How about a Dan Wesson revolver in 44 Magnum!! The interchangeable barrel system makes it an all around gun should you desire and the barrel being under tension at both ends makes it very accurate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMAG View Post
    How about a Dan Wesson revolver in 44 Magnum!! The interchangeable barrel system makes it an all around gun should you desire and the barrel being under tension at both ends makes it very accurate!!!
    I had a DW in .41 mag........great hunter!

+1 for the .44!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I had a DW in .41 mag........great hunter!

+1 for the .44!
    I had a DW 744 stainless with the 8" barrel and sold it!! Never should have done that. I now have a S&W Model 29-2 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I only bought it as the price was right, $300.00!!!

I've got a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Hunter in stainless steel with a 7-1/2" barrel that I really like. I would recommend it. I have a Leupold 2.5-8x28mm scope on it, and its lots of fun to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to take it hunting given the opportunity.

Austin

VIP Member
    Look for a Colt Anaconda Hunter package somewhere?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I prefer the looks of a Redhawk over a Super Redhawk, but that is my personal opinion. If you want to put a scope on it I would go with the Super Redhawk. In 44 magnum of course. The ammo is easier to find if you don't reload for hunting. A 44 magnum is big enough for any game in North American, and besided they are just plain fun to shoot. Oh, and in Stainless if your going to hunt with it, less concern if it is a wet dreary day about keeping it completely dry and rust free. Get a set of Pachmyers they help a bunch.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My Blackhawk Bisley is my favorite field revolver.
    Attached Images

I use a ruger super redhawk in 7 1/2 inch with a red dot scope on it that I love, I also have a desert eagle 6 inch with a simmons pro hunter scope on it, that last one is way to heavy IMO, the ruger is 2 /3 lighter than the D/E and vastly more acurete, I only keep it becouse it looks AWESOME!
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Well, I'd narrow it down to single action or double action.

Single action--Hard to beat the Ruger SBH in .44 mag (I have a 10.5" model, and it's a tackdriver out to about 100yds). Unless, of course, you look at a Freedom Arms in .454...

Double action--I'm fond of my 6" Anaconda .44; S&W 29's are nice as well. Especially Performance Center models. Ruger Redhawks/Super Redhawks are built like tanks, and very accurate.

Or, you could get all kinds of crazy and get a .460 S&W. I've fired one with a Leupold 4x mounted on it, and had no problem keeping an entire cylinder in a paper plate at 150yds.

I have taken my .500 deer hunting...but...follow up shots are a mite bit slow, if you need them.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    I'd go with a 44mag, there is just a lot more you can do with it over the specialty calibers. Loads range from mild to wild and it is plenty for deer.

S&W has some really slick offerings, but if its going to be a true hunting gun, I'd probably buy a Ruger.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For Handgun Hunting I really like my S&W 629 Light Hunter from the Performance Center.

7.5" Barrel with ports and rail for a scope. All the triggers I've seen on these guns have been good out of the box. Not great, but good, and definately better than "stock". The caliber is 44 Magnum, more than enough for a corn fed Whitetail.

Biker

S&W 629 w/ 8 3/8" barrel, I have dropped many deer with one. I just sold mine with a Leupold scope, but I still have my 4" for real work. For some awesome game loads check out Buffalo bore.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links