Never going back...

Never going back...

This is a discussion on Never going back... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SO, due to the advice of many members on OCDO and personal friends, me and the wife went to what has been dubbed "the pit" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never going back...

Never going back...

SO, due to the advice of many members on OCDO and personal friends, me and the wife went to what has been dubbed "the pit" to shoot here in Olympia/Capitol Forest. The pit is "the place" around here to shoot from what I understood. So we went. When we arrived, there were others shooting here, with a giant dirt mound (and I mean GIANT) as a backstop. Seemed safe enough...until I saw the trails leading up and down said mound. I had seen some dirt bikers/ATVers in the area, so I immediately became worried. I walked over to the nearest group of shooters, and asked them if there were off-roaders in the area. Their response was "yeah, but when they come down that hill there ("that" hill WAS OUR BACKSTOP), we stop shooting". "They are always here, and we kinda share the area". SO, I set up my equipment away from them and the ATV murdering mound, using a smaller, different mound as a backstop (although still not foolproof should someone decide to ride through the area). As I was setting up my equipment, this same genius hick continues to inform me that my 19rd Glock mags are illegal unless I am LEO (all this while I am wearing my California Highway Patrol T-shirt with the CHP badge on the breast..only available to CHP personnel for OBVIOUS reasons!). At this point, another group shows up, and starts shooting. I look over at them a while later, and they are DRINKING BEER while shooting a AK-47s. The final straw was when a third group shows up, and 3 men all start shooting at once with pistols, rapid fire, at cans that they threw out on the (all rock) ground approx 15-20 feet in front of them. I said "screw it, I'm outta here". I left and vowed to never go back to that god-forsaken place. I can't believe that when I support the 2A, I am supporting these guy's right to be downright retarded with their guns. No wonder "accidents" happen so often. I am disgusted.

Does anybody else know of a place where I can go to shoot for free? Sometimes I just don't want to pay $10 to go to the range, and sometimes I want to shoot my large caliber long guns. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by luvmyglock; July 17th, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

There are other places in the same general area that aren't near as crowded. When you are driving down Waddle Creek Road if the gravel pit you went to is on your right, keep going until the stop sign (maybe half a mile), then take a left. Follow the road up some winding old logging roads, and you there are lots of smaller pits to be found.

I've had a few interesting experiences at that big gravel pit over the years. If it makes you feel any better, the ATV guys don't come over the crest of the pit - they come from the sides (like where the cars drive), and usually will only want to try to hill climb the pit if there aren't many shooters....

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    There are other places in the same general area that aren't near as crowded.
    Great! Thanks for the heads up. Are you from the Olympia area? (you can PM me this info of you aren't comfortable posting it) If so, want to go shooting?

If it makes you feel any better, the ATV guys don't come over the crest of the pit - they come from the sides (like where the cars drive), and usually will only want to try to hill climb the pit if there aren't many shooters....
    It doesn't....

Austin
    Is this your real name? Mine is too....

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Back many years ago I joined up with a group of WA Shooters for an outing at Granite Falls. No idea about the status of the place now, as this was back in 2001 and I live on the Right Coast.

There are two WA area shooting groups on Yahoo if you want to check in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Back many years ago I joined up with a group of WA Shooters for an outing at Granite Falls. No idea about the status of the place now, as this was back in 2001 and I live on the Right Coast.

There are two WA area shooting groups on Yahoo if you want to check in with them.
    Thanks. I was not aware of the groups on Yahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    SO, due to the advice of many members on OCDO and personal friends, me and the wife went to what has been dubbed "the pit" to shoot here in Olympia/Capitol Forest. The pit is "the place" around here to shoot from what I understood. So we went. When we arrived, there were others shooting here, with a giant dirt mound (and I mean GIANT) as a backstop. Seemed safe enough...until I saw the trails leading up and down said mound. I had seen some dirt bikers/ATVers in the area, so I immediately became worried. I walked over to the nearest group of shooters, and asked them if there were off-roaders in the area. Their response was "yeah, but when they come down that hill there ("that" hill WAS OUR BACKSTOP), we stop shooting". "They are always here, and we kinda share the area". SO, I set up my equipment away from them and the ATV murdering mound, using a smaller, different mound as a backstop (although still not foolproof should someone decide to ride through the area). As I was setting up my equipment, this same genius hick continues to inform me that my 19rd Glock mags are illegal unless I am LEO (all this while I am wearing my California Highway Patrol T-shirt with the CHP badge on the breast..only available to CHP personnel for OBVIOUS reasons!). At this point, another group shows up, and starts shooting. I look over at them a while later, and they are DRINKING BEER while shooting a AK-47s. The final straw was when a third group shows up, and 3 men all start shooting at once with pistols, rapid fire, at cans that they threw out on the (all rock) ground approx 15-20 feet in front of them. I said "screw it, I'm outta here". I left and vowed to never go back to that god-forsaken place. I can't believe that when I support the 2A, I am supporting these guy's right to be downright retarded with their guns. No wonder "accidents" happen so often. I am disgusted.

Does anybody else know of a place where I can go to shoot for free? Sometimes I just don't want to pay $10 to go to the range, and sometimes I want to shoot my large caliber long guns. Any help would be appreciated!
    Glad to hear you had a fun and productive day at the range! There is a similar "pit" in my area---never went though---heard all of the stories and descriptions of the place and never went. I like movies, but nothing crazy like that. Here the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission have public range facilities on state owned land. More than likely your state has something similar supported by the Corp of Engineers or volunteers. Check some of these (I love the internet!)
    WDFW Hunter Education
    Washington State Provides Funding for Gun Ranges « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
    Skagit Sportsmen and Training Association
    WDFW - Shooting Ranges in Washington State
    Shooting Range - National Registry
    Shooting Ranges

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Thanks. I was not aware of the groups on Yahoo!

If you have trouble finding them, give me a shout here and I'll point you in the right direction. [I don't know if they are hidden from the directory or visible.]

I think the names are "WA-ccw" and "WA Shooter" but not 100% positive.

Thanks for the links Ramrod!

This is why I am so fortunate to be able to shoot in my backyard!! Nobody to bother me. I was once at a local public shooting area when I lived in So Cal up in the Angelus Crest Forest and some gang bangers showed up and pointed a fully loaded Spas (spelling?) 12 gauge at me. Then they started shooting their handguns "gangster style", you know sideways, I left right away!! I think they finally closed all those public areas down because of all the stolen cars people would dump up there. Glad to be out of that country!!! lol!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

i have/had the same issue as you. where i used to shoot was frequented by drunks and guns often and although there are burms and stops all over, i don't trust people with guns and beer. they can turn in an instant.

One thing i learnt from desert shooting here is you never know who is around or who is coming. if i am rifle shooting, i always have my sidearm on me loaded incase.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    i don't trust people with guns and beer. they can turn in an instant.
    Neither do I. If you can't legally drive a car and drink a beer, why the hell can you handle a loaded firearm and drink a beer legally? Seriously..

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    if i am rifle shooting, i always have my sidearm on me loaded incase.
    I do too. It's the only logical thing to do.

Administrator
    As I was setting up my equipment, this same genius hick continues to inform me that my 19rd Glock mags are illegal unless I am LEO (all this while I am wearing my California Highway Patrol T-shirt with the CHP badge on the breast..only available to CHP personnel for OBVIOUS reasons!).
    He might have been smarter than you think. Tell me... how did you get the super special shirt then? (you can buy them online)

I have a NASA T-shirt, does that make me an astronaut?

Back to topic at hand, I hate public ranges and won't shoot at them. Uncontrolled public ranges are a death trap filled with yahoo's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He might have been smarter than you think. Tell me... how did you get the super special shirt then? (you can buy them online)
    If you must know, I got the shirt while attending the California Highway Patrol Academy. Only CHP personnel at the academy could get the shirts, and they were not for sale anywhere else. I DO realize that you can get "police" shirts online just about anywhere. This is not my case and point. My point is that he's an idiot, and not because of what shirt I happened to be wearing that day, but because he was smarting off about laws he had no knowledge of.

I have a NASA T-shirt, does that make me an astronaut?
    No, and refer to my above comment regarding my shirt. The shirt I happened to be wearing that day has NO bearing on his knowledge of gun laws.

Back to topic at hand, I hate public ranges and won't shoot at them. Uncontrolled public ranges are a death trap filled with yahoo's.
    I agree, as illustrated. Thanks for your reply.

Last time i went to the range up here in arlington, it was 47 dollars. For 2.5 lanes, 2 ears, 2 eyes.

I was like MMEEEEHH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    Last time i went to the range up here in arlington, it was 47 dollars. For 2.5 lanes, 2 ears, 2 eyes.

I was like MMEEEEHH!!
    You live in D.C? Did you have to take your guns to the range in pieces and re-assemble it?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links