Is the 1911 an out dated LEO firearm

This is a discussion on Is the 1911 an out dated LEO firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think they are great. As to being out of date due to capacity? No. I carry a five shot revo so 8 or 9 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the 1911 an out dated LEO firearm

VIP Member
    I think they are great. As to being out of date due to capacity? No. I carry a five shot revo so 8 or 9 rounds seems like a river of ammo that will never go dry. I think they are a great combat tool. I just wish they weren't so pricey.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

1911 based race guns are the top dogs in USPSA competition and for good reason.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    1911 based race guns are the top dogs in USPSA competition and for good reason.
    Yes...Because they're good at competition. To what level that translates to combat/real life shootings is open to debate...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    They are'nt too outdated.

Today I taught a CHL class, it had 46 students in it. I saw at least a dozen 1911 clones and everyone shot well with them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I had a Springfield Armory, a Kimber, and a Colt. The Springfield was my favorite because it jammed less often. The Kimber, way too much money spent on a gun that had trouble feeding HP's. The Colt that I got rid off years ago, was inaccurate and jammed. I can fire off 300-500 rds thru my sigs and glocks without a single jam or malfunction,not so with my 1911 which just quit after awhile. The 1911 may have its fans but I'm not one of them,a Glock 21sf,Springfield XD, Sig 220, will outshoot any 1911. As far as the competitive 'race' guns, well, give me a practical useable and RELIABLE defense firearm, not a relic. Someone's signature stated, "Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends, but GLOCKS are what you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I don't know, it fires a heavy projectile at a fast enough speed to penetrate and cause damage to a target. Sounds like the same technology that every other gun both past, current, and in the near future production is using. Sounds to me like it is right up to date, and it will stay there until laser guns or some other future thing comes along that replaces firearms as we know them today.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

OD*
    The 1911 shooters with the least experience seem to UNIVERSALLY have the most problems.
    - Bob Rodgers-
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Outdated????

That's heresy.

Still one of the best selling designs on the market, so obviously most people don't think so.

However "lowest bidder" may be an issue for cop guns, and the percieved need for high capacity, coupled with cops who are often inexperienced shooters and need a DA only to help keep them from shooting themselves or someone else accidentally, causes the 1911 to be less favored I guess. I don't think the politics of the 1911 in police depts means it's outdated. JMHO
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Leo 1911

This is funny. I was thinking the same thing earlier this week. Anyone know of any LEOs who carry a 1911 as a Duty gun?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    This is funny. I was thinking the same thing earlier this week. Anyone know of any LEOs who carry a 1911 as a Duty gun?
    yeah.. there are quite a few that still do. A lot of tac teams use them, there is a large dept. in Washington that uses them, the name escapes me now... maybe Pierce county? There are a few small depts. right around your area in SW Ohio that do too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    I know of a couple dozen sheriff's deputies and city cops in my county that carry 1911s.

The Tacoma, WA, PD carries Kimbers.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

A whole mess of Harris County Texas and Fort Bend County Texas deputies carry them. I would say I have seen more 1911's down here than Glocks.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    A whole mess of Harris County Texas and Fort Bend County Texas deputies carry them. I would say I have seen more 1911's down here than Glocks.
    +1. They have to buy their own duty guns and are pretty much allowed to carry what they want. I carried one when I went thru the Harris County Academy, 20 years ago, and still carry one today. If they are so unsafe, how come you see DEA, etc... shooting themselves with Glocks, not 1911's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nope. It'd be the only automatic I'd want to carry if I was in law enforcement. I'd be willing to show the Glocks the door and one of my 1911s to the enemy. I really like the Hi-Power except for it's cartridge. The 1911 is at the top of the heap for me.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

I used to, before we got the Glock 22s.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links