Game Over - Page 2

Game Over

This is a discussion on Game Over within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't Wyatt Earp require everyone to turn in their guns when they hit town?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Over

Didn't Wyatt Earp require everyone to turn in their guns when they hit town?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    She's the type that makes up data to support her positions on things
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that above quote...that's your real issue. I find myself more and more lately tending to disassociate myself from those kind of people. The firearm carrying stuff is secondary. It sounds like you need to choose better friends. Real true friends will tend to sharpen and motivate you in the right directions. I've noticed(read...learned the hard way) in my short time on this little ball we call Earth, that the friends you pick tend to help steer you in one direction or another no matter how independent of a person you may be. Eventually, we as people tend to act like those we surround ourselves with. Do you want to become the guy that makes up data to support your positions?...just a thought.

The folks we choose to call "friends" had darn well better earn that title or they're not worthy of it. Be careful who you spend your precious time with...you may not like the outcome if you choose unwisely.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Although one could argue that this form of "gun control" was really people control. Not the bleeding heart "I'm afraid of the sheepdog" gun control we see today.
    Evolution. By restricting guns (for whatever reason) people are not in contact with them on an everyday basis, as people were years ago. People are then surprised or shocked when they do finally see one. I believe a lot of the "fear" is simply this "surprise or shock" misdiagnosed as fear. Some people, though, develop fear, after watching too much TV.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Evolution. By restricting guns (for whatever reason) people are not in contact with them on an everyday basis, as people were years ago.
    Yes, but the point I was making is that these people had no rights. They didn't fall under the Bill of Rights because they were (incorrectly)thought to be lesser humans. They had no free speech, no right to assemble, no right to a fair and speedy trial, and most certainly no right to self defense. They weren't even allowed to learn math or to learn to read. It was slavery and it's ugly aftermath. It wasn't about controlling guns it was about controlling a subserviant people.

I would argue that "modern" gun control started in earnest in 1937 (in America). The fear of mobsters running wild with Thompsons and BARs is what spawned our "modern" gun control movement. Laws today aren't passed to keep the black man down. They get passed because the sheep are afraid of gun violence and they think that more laws will make them more safe. We know better of course but that's how it is.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I think that you might want to introduce your Rabbi (at least virtually) to Rabbi Mermelstein:

* GunOwnersAlliance.com - Ask the Rabbi is BACK! By Rabbi R. Mermelstein
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is an excellent movie (rental) of this very story...called the "The Uprising"...check it out if you want to see the difference a few guns made...worth viewing...we have it in our limited collection.
    Thanks, Ken. I will check it out.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It always surprises me when a Jewish person does not see or understand the importance of self defense. If anybody should understand this, its the Jew IMO.
    The Jewish single mom accross the street from me is a former Army MP. She keeps her sidearms close. Her grandmother told us a few stories of Europe while she was visiting and self defence has been her priority. Bless her heart.

Hope Mr. and Mrs Rabbi accept it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You should probably introduce him to JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership)
    Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - Homepage

There are a lot of interesting articles there.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Old Sixto has hit the nail on the head (again). I may have posted on it before, and if I didn't I should have: Jewish folks, of ALL people, who support gun control, just absolutely mystify me.

How many would have died in those gas chambers if they'd had guns when the Nazis came to get'em?

I don't have a numerical answer, but the only answer that counts is this: fewer.

Your Rabbi, and I know he is a man of God whom you respect deeply, as well you should, needs to hit up the JPFO website, and how.

They are the REAL DEAL.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The only time I've ever heard this before was from Micheal Moore. I don't want to be stand-offish but this sounds like a liberal load of poo. Show me the facts please. From what I've learned I believe gun control started in this country after the roaring twenties. Nelson, Capone, Bonnie and Clyde...etc.
    Federal gun control started in response to the ganster era. Prohibitions against full auto guns and sawed off shotguns developed then (in the 1930's). But, as we've said, other racially motivated gun control laws, at the state level, came earlier, after the Civil War.

New game, convert him and/or his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    New game, convert him and/or his wife.
    Pretty much. "Rabbi, do you wish to form an opinion, or you as wise as the Father, and equally entitled to be set in your judgements....?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links