Game Over

This is a discussion on Game Over within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been carrying concealed for 2-1/2 years, always open carrying when in restaurants that serve alcohol (illegal in Virginia to conceal carry in that type ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Game Over

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array jofrdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Posts
    709

    Game Over

    I've been carrying concealed for 2-1/2 years, always open carrying when in restaurants that serve alcohol (illegal in Virginia to conceal carry in that type establishment). My wife and I join our Rabbi and his wife once or twice a week for meals. As they are both extremely liberal gun haters (they tried to get me to attend the Million Mom March with them a few years ago in Wash. DC), I've been trying to see how long I can open carry around them without them seeing it by walking at the rear of the group, carrying a jacket over my arm or keeping my body turned away from them.

    As an aside, I'm pretty liberal on a lot of social issues, too, but not on the 2nd Ammendment. Obama is NOT getting my vote.

    Well, my game is over. Wednesday evening we met them at Orapax, a Greek place in Norfolk. I dropped my wife at the door and parked the car. All three of them were already at the table when I came in. I stood at the hostess station, scanning the main room to see where they were sitting. Lo and behold, they were at my 4 o'clock, in what is usually the smoking section, due to the main room being filled by a large private party. I stood there for probably 30 seconds, with my gun on my hip at 4 o'clock and in full view of all of them. I turned and saw the Rabbi motioning me over. Instead of a full arm wave, he was just waggling his finger and his face was ashen. Obviously, he had seen the gun but was too polite to say anything about it during the meal.

    So, the game is over. I'm out of the closet. I feel like I did pretty well do keep it in play as long as I did. From now on, I can just march right in and not play games. There's a good chance his wife wil get on her high horse and refuse to join us if I'm carrying, but that's her loss; she can leave if she wants to. She's the type that makes up data to support her positions on things. Most memorable was "most gun owners die from being shot with their own guns." I told her that most gun owners don't ever even take their self defense guns out of the night stand to practice with them, let alone getting shot by them. I did allow that of those gun owners who die from a shooting, it may be true that a majority are shot with their own guns, but that's hardly the same thing.

    I'll add to this thread in the coming weeks as I begin the new practice of openly open carrying.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,719
    It always surprises me when a Jewish person does not see or understand the importance of self defense. If anybody should understand this, its the Jew IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,093
    I'm a practicing Catholic but a Jew by Mother's birth and have cousins on both sides. Both groups tend to be anti-gun. I've carried 20 years and I've gone through the same situation. I also enjoy carrying and not telling so I was in a Denny's with a friend when I bumped the booth. When my friend realized I was carrying he actually couldn't speak.

  5. #4
    Member Array Raider39a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    335
    I bet that there are rabbis in Israel that pack an uzi. why is this different in the US?

    In any case, jofrdo, that is very brave of you to such a thing.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array edr9x23super's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,108
    If your Rabbi admonishes you for carrying, politely remind him of the Jewish peoples' recent history; Then I would remind him of the words spoken by one of the many remaining senior Rabbi's left after the scope of the Holocaust was finally revealed:

    Never Again!

    If he doesn't understand that, then he will most likely be a victim one day of the next Holocaust when history repeats itself because men like him forgot.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,066
    Good for you....as far as your rabbis wife spouting data...pretend you are from Missouri and say "show me".
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  8. #7
    Member Array Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    442
    Why not ask them if they've been to Israel lately? Did they see any guns? Were the Israelis running wild and shooting up the streets or were they carrying guns to maintain a safer place to live?

    Remind them that the first thing Hitler did was to confiscate firearms. I guess that made cleansing his Germany a bit easier.

  9. #8
    Ron
    Ron is offline
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It always surprises me when a Jewish person does not see or understand the importance of self defense. If anybody should understand this, its the Jew IMO.
    Me too. As a Jew, whenvever the issue of gun control arises in a discussion with Jewish friends who are aniti-gun, I remind them of the fact that one of the first things tyrants do is to ban ownership of guns by the civilian population, including, of course, Hitler.

    I then ask them what they think the Jews of Eastern Europe would have given to have had a gun when the Black Shirts came for them and their families. I also remind them of the history of the Warsaw ghetto, where the Jews were desperate for guns. And, lastly, I ask them if they are aware of the trermendous number of lives saved in Israel because a civilian was armed and prevented a slaughter by a terrorist.

    Sometimes, I will at least get some of them to think about it. Unfortunately, the usual answer I get, which drives me to distraction, is that "all of what you say may be true, but it can't happen here."

    As an aside, I am finding that there are increasing numbers of Jews today, especially among the young, who understand and are very much pro gun.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

    J. R. R. Tolkien

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It always surprises me when a Jewish person does not see or understand the importance of self defense. If anybody should understand this, its the Jew IMO.
    Agreed Sixto.

    Of all American people the ones who should be 100% behind the 2A by note of history alone are Jews, African Americans, and Native Americans.
    Those histories in specific are directly associated to losses of freedom, losses of basic human rights, removal of right and means to defend themselves, and as a result great losses amongst their individual peoples.

    To my mind being member of one of these communities in specific and being anti-gun and/or anti-2A is as nonsensical as being a human and anti-water, because of the risk and great numbers of persons who have drowned.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array jofrdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Posts
    709
    Right you are, Janq. Gun control in the US started in the south with the goal of keeping black citizens from owning guns.

    One responder called me brave. I don't see it that way; I have just been playing a game to see how long it would take before I was outted.

  12. #11
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Interesting is the fact that despite having gun in the open while in restaurants how long you got away with it with the two anti-gun folks on such a regular basis.

    Confirms how little people actually do pay attention to what's in plain sight!

    Great little experiment you had going there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  13. #12
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Me too. As a Jew, whenvever the issue of gun control arises in a discussion with Jewish friends who are aniti-gun, I remind them of the fact that one of the first things tyrants do is to ban ownership of guns by the civilian population, including, of course, Hitler.

    I then ask them what they think the Jews of Eastern Europe would have given to have had a gun when the Black Shirts came for them and their families. I also remind them of the history of the Warsaw ghetto, where the Jews were desperate for guns. And, lastly, I ask them if they are aware of the trermendous number of lives saved in Israel because a civilian was armed and prevented a slaughter by a terrorist.

    Sometimes, I will at least get some of them to think about it. Unfortunately, the usual answer I get, which drives me to distraction, is that "all of what you say may be true, but it can't happen here."

    As an aside, I am finding that there are increasing numbers of Jews today, especially among the young, who understand and are very much pro gun.
    There is an excellent movie (rental) of this very story...called the "The Uprising"...check it out if you want to see the difference a few guns made...worth viewing...we have it in our limited collection.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Right you are, Janq. Gun control in the US started in the south with the goal of keeping black citizens from owning guns.
    The only time I've ever heard this before was from Micheal Moore. I don't want to be stand-offish but this sounds like a liberal load of poo. Show me the facts please. From what I've learned I believe gun control started in this country after the roaring twenties. Nelson, Capone, Bonnie and Clyde...etc.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array falcon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The only time I've ever heard this before was from Micheal Moore. I don't want to be stand-offish but this sounds like a liberal load of poo. Show me the facts please. From what I've learned I believe gun control started in this country after the roaring twenties. Nelson, Capone, Bonnie and Clyde...etc.
    Jim Crow laws in the South...laws against "inexpensive" firearms (funny how the expensive Peacemakers weren't outlawed)...here is one article:

    The Racist Roots of Gun Control
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

    Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,391
    I stand corrected.

    Although one could argue that this form of "gun control" was really people control. Not the bleeding heart "I'm afraid of the sheepdog" gun control we see today. I won't make that argument however because I see a much deeper motive for gun control in the world which I feel is meant to "enslave" us all.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hey! What are you doing here??! Game's on!
    By aznav in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM
  2. EA mistakely sends brass knuckle in video game press kit to game reviewers
    By cyberdogg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
  3. New to the game.
    By Derrin33 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 24th, 2009, 07:46 AM
  4. What do you think about this game? (CA$H’n GUN$)
    By Mr_Dove in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM