Defensive Carry banner

Racking The Slide: Pull Back or Use Release

6K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  Rob99VMI04 
#1 ·
I have a question about racking the slide on a handgun.

I have seen this done at the range many times, with many guns, and in two distinctly different ways.

With the slide open (and locked), some people will give that little pull backwards and let the slide fly forward. Others will push the slide release lock to let it fly forward.

It seems to me that by doing the latter, you could possibly wear out the release catch faster. Pulling back and letting go allows the release latch to click to its normal position without extra strain.

Does anyone have opinions on this, or do you think it doesn't matter either way, and it's just personal preference?

#32 ·
I agree with Metro. My Academy (waaaaay back when) taught me to use the slide stop. I've practiced that way for the last 25+ years and it is second nature. I use that technique in IDPA matches. At this point in my life, I think I would fumble if I were to change my technique! Unless there is some mechanical or functional reason to learn a new skill, I'll stay put.

#33 ·
Well, here is a wrinkle:

My Kahr CW40's user manual explicitly states to use the slide release, and NOT to "slingshot" the slide when reloading.

#35 ·
The reasoning that I was given for the slingshot/ hand-over method being the best to use is that it will work for every semi-auto handgun. Think about it. What happens if you have to use an unfamiliar gun and need to do a reload? Do you know where the slide release is for every make and model of gun out there? Even if you do, there are some guns out there (Glocks without the extended slide stop lever for example) that are very difficult close with the slide stop. When you have the new magazine seated do you want to take the chance on fumbling about trying to get your thumb lined up with the slide release? By using the slingshot/hand-over way, and making it your natural reloading method, you will never have to worry about missing the lever as you won't go looking for it anyway.

I used to be a slide stop guy but I had to bend to the logic presented above as the better, universal way of doing a reload.

#37 ·
Hand-over will not work for every semiauto. Do the hand-over method to a DA/SA pistol (Beretta, 3rd gen S&W, H&K, etc.), and you are highly likely to induce a malfunction by inadvertently bumping the safety/decocker on an unfamiliar pistol, especially under stress.

Besides, I am FAR more likely to have to fight with an injured hand than I am to lose my gun and then wind up using some unfamiliar type of pistol. It's even MORE of a stretch to think that I'll actually pick up the magazines of the unfamiliar pistol and do reloads during a gunfight. Having to shoot and reload with one hand with my pistol is a MUCH more likely scenario. And heaven help me if the unfamiliar pistol I pick up in this highly unlikely event is a revolver or a pistol with a heel mag release catch. I guess I'll just collapse into a heap of "fine motor" malfunction. :wink:

Using the slide release has worked for me for over 20 years, and I'll continue to do it that way. It's quicker and less likely to induce a malfunction. The "gross motor skill" argument is silly. You will revert to your training in a stress situation, and you will fight the way you train. If for any reason my slide release doesn't work, the "tap-rack-bang" is the default malfunction drill that I've practiced a thousand times, and that's what I'll revert to.

Anyone care to explain how to use only the overhand/slingshot method if one of your hands is taken out of the fight?

Besides, Larry Vickers says to use the slide release when possible. And he's more tacticool than all of us put together. So there! :bigsmile:

#36 ·
Wow, I never figured there would be so many comments on both sides of the issue of my original post. This is a great discussion. I think I will continue to rack the slide, as most people here are recommending.

Also, on my Ruger LCP, since it does NOT stay open on an empy magazine, you have to rack it in order to reload! Good to stay with what works!

#41 ·
Can we agree that the racking the slide is what is GENERALLY taught by most qualified instructors, irregardless of the slingshot or overhand method? I think that is safe to say so.

With that said, are their valid reasons for doing it. I think we have articulated some of them. Is their a guarantee that you will not be able to operate the slide release in a gunfight? No. Is it possible due to lack of fine motor skills? Yes. Can the gun be loaded, unloaded, and cleared of any malfunctions with one hand while not using the slide release? Yes.

Dose that mean that somebody who has been using the slide release for 20 years has to switch to racking the slide or face certain death? No. It's your bacon, you do whatever you think is best. I do a lot of things that are considered to be unorthodox. And if anyone asks me about them, just like Metro 40, I can articulate my point. Nothing wrong with that. :bier:

#42 ·
I know I'll get flamed for this but it seems pretty simple. It's a slide LOCK lever, not a release. I use the hand over method and it's not failed me when I needed it. Any time you can train using gross motor skills for high stress events why would you not? I was involved in various forms of combat training for a career's worth of years and it always worked best. That said, I'll also add- It's your bacon, fry it how you like it.

#44 ·
If you have found yourself in a gun fight, and used enough ammo to need a reload, and still have both hands. The fastest way to be able to deliver rounds to your opponent is with a slide release.

Unless it’s some silly inferior model that the makes using the release difficult. In which case it’s time to get a new gun with proper controls. I realize not everyone can swap out their weapon.

You drop the mag. Deliver the fresh mag with your support hand, sometimes with enough force to send the slide home on its own. If not then hit the lever and release it with your support hand thumb, rap your hand around the one holding the weapon and you are now ready to deliver more rounds.

A half of a second in a gun battle can mean the difference between first and second place.

#45 ·
Here's a little more food for thought.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/The-Great-Slide-Release-Debate/21$36789

I like this guy's approach. He's basically saying what I've said all along. Know your pistol. Know EVERYTHING about your pistol. Do it the way you feel comfortable with. But you should know how to use every feature of your pistol intimately.

The slide release/lock/stop lever is the fastest way to send the slide home, and can be performed one-handed. Tap-rack-bang is the universal malfunction drill, so if the slide release doesn't work for some reason, that's what I'll revert to. Knowing only one way to do something could get you killed.

The "motor skill" argument is silly...you will fight the way you train. If you can't hit the slide release due to motor skill malfunction, you sure won't be able to hit the mag release or obtain any kind of sight picture and pull the trigger and hit anything. Thousands of special operations professionals better turn in their 1911's, because sweeping the safety off of a single action automatic is a fine motor skill. And revolver users? Forget about it! :buttkick:

Train hard. Know your pistol. Be safe out there! :wave:

Oh, and the next person that mentions "motor skills" gets a free subscription to Sarah Brady's newsletter. :twak: :bigsmile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.