.380 worthless..

This is a discussion on .380 worthless.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I personally won't carry anything less than .32. And I would prefer not to but I would prefer to carry rather than not carry. So ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .380 worthless..

I personally won't carry anything less than .32. And I would prefer not to but I would prefer to carry rather than not carry. So that sort of makes me have to compromise sometimes in order TO carry rather than NOT carry. I am confident I can make the adjustment knowing what I am carrying at the time. I know for a fact that a solid hit with a .32 is better than a miss with a .45.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Product Comparison

The numbers look fairly close. Less than 30 foot lbs difference in the Winchester line.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've always believed shot placement was more important than caliber. A well placed .22 round will kill you just as well as a .45, dead is dead! Practice and become a good shot and bullet caliber becomes less important (to a point). With a good shot even the smaller rounds will do the job so long as they can get the needed penetration, and with todays modern bullets and +P loads more smaller rounds can get the job done.

.380 will kill people there are several documented cases ,it is not my first choice but if all i got is a 380 then i will use it,now if your being attacked by a grizzly bear I hope I got a 12 gauge full of slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

good to read through and see theres a large percent on my way of thinking. Of course if I could find a larger caliber gun I know I would consistanly carry I would buy it but theres not.

While it's no powerhouse it's far from worthless. Now .22 rimfire, .25 ACP, and some of the .32's, those are illustrations of, if not worthless, then pretty iffy.

A spirited defense may be made with any of them. The .380 is sorta my threshold of breathing a sigh of relief as to what I'm toting.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Why this bothers me i dont know... " I wouldn't trust my life with a .380 there pretty worthless.."
    It should bother you, in the same way facing any other ignorance should bother you. Be patient and gently teach him the truth.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    While it's no powerhouse it's far from worthless. Now .22 rimfire, .25 ACP, and some of the .32's, those are illustrations of, if not worthless, then pretty iffy.

A spirited defense may be made with any of them. The .380 is sorta my threshold of breathing a sigh of relief as to what I'm toting.
    All of these calibers are chunks of lead propelled by a charge of gunpowder at hundreds of feet per second. I still don't understand how people treat these as if they were corks out of a popgun! They are all very deadly and there are lots of deceased people out there due to them!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) (also referred to as the "9 mm Short", "9 mm Browning", "9 mm Kurz", "9 mm Corto" or "9x17mm") pistol cartridge is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Browning. It was introduced in 1908 and, in that time, has been adopted by a variety of military organizations, police organizations,etc. A whole lot of folks have met their maker because of the 380. True, there are other more powerful calibers but, when used properly, the 380 is lethal.

The guy who carries a derringer and calls the 380 "worthless" is just not to be taken seriously.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Administrator
    There is some nice, hot and decently effective .380 ammunition being produced these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'll tell ya right up front I'm not a .380 ACP fan but that 100 gr. LFP from Buffalo Bore that clocks at 1100 fps would have to be a nasty item to deal with especially if you had time to get 5 or 6 rounds into some guy (if at least one is a head shot, so much the better). I think it would be at least as effective as a standard .38 spec. round.

I carry a .380 from time to time. My thinking is .380 is the same size as the 9mm. I figure the majority of defensive fights will occur <40'. So then it becomes will it penetrate far enough to be effective. And if you are using a .380 defensive round, you should get enough penetation/expansion to be effective. If need to fight at greater distances or fire into vehicles - then the .380 might not be the best choice. But I never think twice when carrying a .380 - and let's face it - most fights will occur at very close range. If a .380 fits your dress/desires for that day - carry away. I would rather carry a .22 than nothing - and I bet I could be a little more accurate with a .22 than say my .40 - so there are pros & cons to every gun & caliber

VIP Member
    I sure hope the 380 isn't worthless. I pocket carry that. And I use a hot self defense ammo which is alleged (manufacturer's propaganda) to generate about the same energy as .40. It is light, fast, and frangible. When used up close it will make a big hole.

I guess I'll not find out if the manufacturer is full of it until that moment of truth I hope I never have.

.380 can and probably will kill whoever that's in the front...period

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I sure hope the 380 isn't worthless. I pocket carry that. And I use a hot self defense ammo which is alleged (manufacturer's propaganda) to generate about the same energy as .40. It is light, fast, and frangible. When used up close it will make a big hole.

I guess I'll not find out if the manufacturer is full of it until that moment of truth I hope I never have.
    Could you share this ammo brand with us? I sure would be interested in the .380 that makes over 400 ft. lbs. of energy and penetrates sufficiently to stop an attacker!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links