.380 worthless..

.380 worthless..

This is a discussion on .380 worthless.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why this bothers me i dont know.. heres my situation.. So, I'm telling this guy about my new purchase (LCP .380) and he says to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

.380 worthless..

Why this bothers me i dont know.. heres my situation.. So, I'm telling this guy about my new purchase (LCP .380) and he says to me " I wouldn't trust my life with a .380 they're pretty worthless.."
    So i think to me self this guy is carrying a .38 deringer... you have two shots and the second shot for some reason out of the barrel isn't real accurate... I'm going to have 7 shots of .380... I'll take my changes with those.. Sorry rant over.

I'm on your side. I'd always rather have at least a 9, but cant always.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's been my experience, that the great majority of people who make blanket statements like that seldom have the depth and breadth of experience to contribute in any kind of meaningful way to the conversation. I tend to smile politely and then ignore them in the hope that they'll go find someone else to annoy.

But maybe that's just me.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

JD
    Administrator
    I'm actually rather fond of my .380 pistols, they tend to be small and recoil friendly, some of my best rapid fire groups have been with steel framed .380s.

I find them a joy to carry when I can't carry something larger, or when I want to carry more than one firearm.

I am reminded of a story an instructor of mine once told us.

There was a woman who packed a Beretta .25, she had to draw it against a would be assailant, the guy laughed at her and asked what she was going to do with that little thing, she replied that she was going to shoot him 4 times in "the equipment" and his tune changed rapidly.

While I would much rather have a 9mm or .45, the .380 is my minimum caliber for self defense.

Ballistically, the .380 would alter the outcome of any situation in which it needed to be employed. Your LCP or your buddy's derrienger.............
    no contest.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Why this bothers me i dont know.. heres my situation.. So, I'm telling this guy about my new purchase (LCP .380) and he says to me " I wouldn't trust my life with a .380 there pretty worthless.." So i think to me self this guy is carrying a .38 deringer... you have two shots and the second shot for some reason out of the barrel isn't real accurate... I'm going to have 7 shots of .380... I'll take my changes with those.. Sorry rant over.
    Next time, politely ask him to step in front of your .380, just to prove his point. I'm guessing you'll get no takers, but it you do get one dumb enough to let you shoot him, DON'T.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Next time, politely ask him to step in front of your .380, just to prove his point. I'm guessing you'll get no takers, but it you do get one dumb enough to let you shoot him, DON'T.

Holdcard

LOL I wouldn't want to get shot with any caliber firearm
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

The .380 is what it is. Nothing wrong with it for carry really. If you ask some folks, 9mm is worthless these days to their thinking and if you go further, some even think anything less than 45 is uncivilized. Modern ammo does give decent alternatives nowadays.

while I strongly prefer something that begins with a 4... I have had a couple of .380s and they can get the job done... funny though - the last "gunfight" I participated in was won by a .22...

(I won) Use what you got - and practice practice practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The .380 is what it is. Nothing wrong with it for carry really. If you ask some folks, 9mm is worthless these days to their thinking and if you go further, some even think anything less than 45 is uncivilized. Modern ammo does give decent alternatives nowadays.
    So true. Of course if you ask a journalist, he'll tell you that people that carry it like to have something "extra deadly," when compared to other handgun rounds. (omitting that the "other handgun rounds" that he speaks of would be the rimfires)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

AMH
    I am one of the guys who won’t personally consider anything that doesn’t start with .4

I even go as far as make “blanket” statements just to bust the chops of my buddies who carry 9mm. But it’s all in fun; they in turn make fun of my obsession with .45acp. Friendly banter.

Sometimes I will make similar comments to people I don’t know very well, just to see if they have the knowledge to refute my statements. I dig playing the devils advocate.

That being said, smaller calibers have their place, and many have some pretty good ballistic ratings. I am considering a Ruger LCP for my wife.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

EW3
    This guy has no clue what he's talking about.

Every time I shoot one of my .380s, I remind myself to never be on the receiving end of one of them! For such a small round, it sure packs a little wallop! Keep in mind; that hole is 9mm!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    A Guy I know used to say if it does not have a 4 in front of it he would not carry it. He had his 45 on him. I got the Kel-Tec 380 and he thought a 380 cal was no good. I asked him to stand in front of it and he refused. Next time I saw him he had a 9mm which he said was not that good as a defence round in the past. The last time I saw him he was carrying a 380 and I had a 9mm on me. I asked what happened and I did not get a straight answer but he did tell me how great a 380 was for defence as it was all about shot placement. O' well I guess he told me. What ever work's for you is what I say. We are all in a different boat.

Neither 380 or 38 are GREAT for defense but both are generally adequate with the edge going to the 38 as it can be more powerful.

Any gun is better than no gun.

I will not search out a gun smaller than 380 to carry but would carry one if that was all that was available.

I feel more confidence with my 5 shot 38+P snubby than my larger capacity 380 PPK/S but do carry both.

The old "well let me shoot you with it" argument is pretty feeble as I would not want you to shoot me with a 22. If I HAD to be shot though I would rather it be with a 380 than a 38 but I am not volunteering for anything. It is like asking would you rather have Bubonic Plague or Ebola Zaire... Ebola has a higher mortality rate but I don't want to contract either.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    ...I would not want you to shoot me with a 22.
    Take it from me, it hurts!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links