Want comparable to S&W 642 Airweight

This is a discussion on Want comparable to S&W 642 Airweight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could someone recommend a similar handgun to the Smith and Wesson model 642 Airweight? The GF shot a bunch of guns last night (different styles ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Could someone recommend a similar handgun to the Smith and Wesson model 642 Airweight?

The GF shot a bunch of guns last night (different styles and calibers). She liked how the S&W felt and shot the best. I'm looking for a different brand for her to try that may feel and function similar.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator
    Your only other choice for a "hammer-less" revolver is going to be Taurus, your looking for a 5 shot, .38Spcl +P rated alloy, framed revolver.

See HERE for listings.

Thanks JD. I don't know that the exposed hammer is a major factor. More in the feel of the handle and frame. She's been keeping her eye open for her first gun. Loves to shoot my Dan Wesson full framed .357 but looking for something smaller for her. It's all her decision, would just like to make sure she's tried other options before going with the S&W.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Thought I'd look at some prices, model Taurus model 850. Interesting rant from this guy on gunbroker about California. I'm also curious when he says about the current MSRP being $666.00 but on Taurus website it says $461.00

GunBroker.com guns: TAURUS TITANIUM 850 CIA .38 Special 2" SHADOW GRAY (item: 105466014 ends: Jul-29-08 0648 PM)

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Thought I'd look at some prices, model Taurus model 850. Interesting rant from this guy on gunbroker about California. I'm also curious when he says about the current MSRP being $666.00 but on Taurus website it says $461.00

GunBroker.com guns: TAURUS TITANIUM 850 CIA .38 Special 2" SHADOW GRAY (item: 105466014 ends: Jul-29-08 0648 PM)
    Good grief. How does he expect to sell anything starting off like that...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Smile

In October, I bought a Taurus M85 Ultra Light 38 spec + P for $289 plus tax from Champions Firearms, in College Station TX (north of Houston) . That is an excellent gun for the money. Some swear by S&W, and they are good guns, but you pay a lot for the name.

thats too much for the taurus...... you can find the 642 for $400ish new..... If the enclosed hammer isnt a have to have you can find a ton of 38 snubs out there.

Particularly now that there are some 642s available again without the internal lock, WHY NOT just go ahead and buy her a S&W?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Particularly now that there are some 642s available again without the internal lock, WHY NOT just go ahead and buy her a S&W?
    +1 what Captain said.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Try a Charter. Cheaper.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Thanks for the tips. Someone pointed out my mistake on the MSRP of the Taurus and I had the stainless and alloy models crossed.

We looked at a couple this weekend. I think we were at Sportman's Warehouse or something and she looked at the Rugar KSP-321X .357 which was a heavy stainless model, a Taurus 85, and another S&W airweight.

She liked the feel of the heavier Rugar the best but wants to go back to our local gunshop where she can shoot a stainless frame compared to an alloy again. She tends to be a professional shopper which can drive me nuts but I'm trying to bite my tongue. Sounds like she isn't going to buy something she can't shoot first.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to keep the eyes peeled for a Charter that she can try out too.

Who is John Galt?

As of last Thursday, Cabella's in Kansas City, Ks had 642's for $399.

Administrator
    My guess is that she will be happier with the Stainless after she shoots it.
    Much easier to shoot and not unpleasant to carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry a Taurus 850 cia ultralight. I recall they are aoubt 325 retail. Its a good pistiol and for some reason I can shoot it better than a 642. I highly recommend it based on my experience.

Taurus 651 CIA - Stainless steel 5 shot 357 loved mine...

now I carry a very accurate Rossi 461 6 shot steel 357...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links