Glock 19 for home defense w/integrated M3 light

This is a discussion on Glock 19 for home defense w/integrated M3 light within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last year I taught my fiance how to shoot, and bought her a Ruger GP-100 4" barrel, that she shoots fairly well with when downloaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last year I taught my fiance how to shoot, and bought her a Ruger GP-100 4" barrel, that she shoots fairly well with when downloaded to .38 special. I recently attempted to teach her how to handle the big revolver while also carrying a flashlight (I work nights and that would be when she would most likely have to do this). She did not like any of the techniques (harries, neck index, etc.).
    I am now considering purchasing a Glock 19 and mounting an M3 light to it for her to employ for home defense. Any of you have any experience with this sort of set-up for your significant others? Would the recoil (for women) of a 9mm be equivalent to that of steel framed .357 with .38 specials? I am not particularly recoil adverse so I cannot really base what would be good for her on my experience.
    I did have her try out department issued Glock 22 with the same set-up and she seemed to like the concept, but complained that the Glock 22 was a little "big" for her. Thus the rationale for the G19. I also picked the 9mm because I believe she would find the recoil a little more manageable, allowing more accurate follow-up shots. Everyone's thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

My night-time at home choice is the G17 with M-6 attached. The M-3 is attached to the AR-15. I have attached the M-6 to my G19 and quite frankly the balance is very good. I'm a fan of attached light to the pistol...keep your other hand free to open or close doors, balance yourself, etc.... The G22 and G17 are almost the same to me as far as HD tools, it's just what strikes me at the time to depend upon--plenty of ammo in either one! The G19 with it's shorter barrel and grip has little or no effect with the weight of the M-3 or M-6..take it from me. The lens does however stick out past the muzzle more than with the full sized G17 or 22 and that's all and not an issue. My SO won't use a pistol as of yet.....she tried to shoot my G27 and I knew it was a bad idea and told her so.....if she had tried something in .380 or 9mm we would both be in a better circumstance to my thinking. Your choice for the G19 is probably right on. Attaching the M-3 won't be an issue besides teaching her how to use it effectively and if her grip and finger reach is long enough. I use my trigger finger to activate mine momentarily. If she is unable to reach the switch that way, I'd alternate to the weak hand thumb to activate, and practice...practice. Good luck to both of you.

Hey thanks for the reply. It is good to find some validation to my thought process. I definitely won't be letting her shoot my G27, that little sucker is kinda snappy.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Ramrod pretty well covered all of the good points about your choice. I think it is important to have a firearm that your "significant other" can handle in an emergency in case you are away from home or you need someone to cover your backside.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    Chi, this is the exact set up my wife uses at home. She likes it a lot, its a very stable, manageable set up for anyone. The M3 not only provides light, but it also adds weight up front to tame the already minimal recoil. IMO, its the ideal combo for anyone.

I'll also second RamRods post, he's right on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey, Sixto thanks for the reply. It is good that everyone agrees with my reasoning on this. If I recall correctly aren't you a big Sig fan? I'm surprised you don't have your wife shooting a P229 or P239...Now the only thing I need to work out is what I'm going to load it with. I don't generally shoot 9mm but I think I'd like to have her shoot some Cor-Bon 115gr DPX , Hornady 115gr TAP, or perhaps some of that new Ranger T or Federal HST I've been hearing so much about.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    Hey, Sixto thanks for the reply. It is good that everyone agrees with my reasoning on this. If I recall correctly aren't you a big Sig fan? I'm surprised you don't have your wife shooting a P229 or P239...Now the only thing I need to work out is what I'm going to load it with. I don't generally shoot 9mm but I think I'd like to have her shoot some Cor-Bon 115gr DPX , Hornady 115gr TAP, or perhaps some of that new Ranger T or Federal HST I've been hearing so much about.
    I tried to turn her on to a Sig, but she likes the Glock better. Its a toss up for me, I like both, I just happen to shoot a little better with my Sigs. Don't forget to buy the 19 in the red box at a LE dealer when the time comes... its a lot cheaper.

Most all the brand name ammo is pretty good stuff anymore, I use golddots in my 9mm's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Red Box? I get an LE discount at the local police supply shop if that is what you are referring to, but I have never heard of the red box.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Administrator
    Red Box? I get an LE discount at the local police supply shop if that is what you are referring to, but I have never heard of the red box.
    Red box or labels are the L.E guns direct from Glock, you have to go to a L.E. dealer with your Dept. ID. A G19 will cost you 398.20.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool, I wasn't aware of that pricing. The guys at the police supply store never told me about that!
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Administrator
    Cool, I wasn't aware of that pricing. The guys at the police supply store never told me about that!
    They wont, because they don't make any money on it. Most places are not Official Glock L.E. dealers and cant offer that deal, so its kept quite a lot of times.
    Go to Glocks website and look for a LE dealer near you, they are the only ones who can do this.

EDIT; their dealers are not listed on the website anymore, you'll have to call them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do you get extra goodies in the Red Box Glock?

When I got the LE version of my XD9sc the guy at the counter asked the owner what the difference was... She said I get one 10 round magazine and two 16 round magazines plus the discount price. The civilians get one 10 round and one 16 round.

It's been so long since I got my LE version G-23 but IIRC I got three magazines as well instead of the usual two.

I thought that was pretty cool.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Do you get extra goodies in the Red Box Glock?

When I got the LE version of my XD9sc the guy at the counter asked the owner what the difference was... She said I get one 10 round magazine and two 16 round magazines plus the discount price. The civilians get one 10 round and one 16 round.

It's been so long since I got my LE version G-23 but IIRC I got three magazines as well instead of the usual two.

I thought that was pretty cool.
    Yes, you get three magazines instead of two.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Heres what I use to protect the homestead, with a 590 for backup.

G19 Homeland Defender model, with light and 4 mags.

To be honest though, if it didn't have the logo on the side, I probably would have picked up the regular model.
    Attached Images

Hey thanks for the info guys, I will definitely give Glock a call and see who the official LE dealers are in my area
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links